Thread: Muscle Strain?

Wannabebig Member

Muscle Strain?

Iím sure this has been covered before, but Iím having a hard time disseminating the good information from the BS. I have something of a sore spot in my back. Itís on the left side, approximately equidistant from the scapula and pelvis, 3 inches distal from the to the spine (Latissimus Dorsi ?).

Itís been there for probably two weeks. My thought is that it happened when I was working on the steering gear of our Dodge diesel pickup (as an aside, if you think youíre strong, try wrestling some of those steering parts around). I wouldnít say that itís a debilitating pain, and in all likelihood just a strain. Iíve been struggling with how to best stretch and rehab this injury.

The soreness is not present while squatting, it is present while unracking the bar. Performing the lift causes no discomfort, but it is definitely there throughout my day to day. When benching, there is a ďtake your breath awayĒ moment at the beginning of the movement, just when the bar is coming down.

Does anyone have rehab suggestions? I suppose Iím due for a short break from the squats, but Iím making good progress, so itís hard to give up. The bench, I could take or leave, but Iíd like to press on. However, I am certain that there are those of you who have far better knowledge and experience than I do when it comes to these matters.

RICE, NSAIDS, and eat like an animal. If it doesn't hurt while squatting..why give it up? The only thing i would cut down is the movements that really aggravate it. In this case, it seems to be bench/horizontal pull type stuff, which, makes sense given the area of pain. In place of those movements I would do the same thing..but with VERY little weight and a lot of reps to get the blood flowing in the injured area.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Wannabebig Member
    I'm going to skip my lifting tonight, give myself an extra day, and resume tomorrow. It actually feels a lot better this afternoon. So, my hope is that giving it that extra rest day today will make all the difference.

Just out of curiosity, why the reference to eating? What physiological impact would a caloric surplus have on the recovery of a strain? Again, pure curiosity here.

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post
    I'm going to skip my lifting tonight, give myself an extra day, and resume tomorrow. It actually feels a lot better this afternoon. So, my hope is that giving it that extra rest day today will make all the difference.

Just out of curiosity, why the reference to eating? What physiological impact would a caloric surplus have on the recovery of a strain? Again, pure curiosity here.
    Make sure you dont jump back into it too fast..it its a true strain you need to wait a bit before going full force. Do the high rep/low weight thing i recommended. And your muscles need fuel to repair, right? A calorie deficit won't help that cause too much.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Wannabebig Member
    Gotcha!

My diet is fairly solid right now, and its serving my purposes of recomping (I think that's the term... trying to maintain stasis with my bodyweight, while decreasing my body fat percentage... and it's actually been working... slowly, but that's ok). Just making sure that I didn't need to pound more food down to aid with the recovery.

I hear you on the high rep - low weight thing. That might actually make for a nice break on tomorrow's workout. If the scheduled workout was 3x8 @ 260lbs, would 3x20 @ 155lbs be reasonable? I'm thinking I could probably bang out 3x20 @ 225lbs, but I think that would be defeating the purpose...

Thanks again. All of you guys on this site are awesome!

Gotcha!

My diet is fairly solid right now, and its serving my purposes of recomping (I think that's the term... trying to maintain stasis with my bodyweight, while decreasing my body fat percentage... and it's actually been working... slowly, but that's ok). Just making sure that I didn't need to pound more food down to aid with the recovery.

I hear you on the high rep - low weight thing. That might actually make for a nice break on tomorrow's workout. If the scheduled workout was 3x8 @ 260lbs, would 3x20 @ 155lbs be reasonable? I'm thinking I could probably bang out 3x20 @ 225lbs, but I think that would be defeating the purpose...

Thanks again. All of you guys on this site are awesome!
    No problem. And honestly I would start at something no higher than 135 for a week or so. If it hurts while doing it, stop.

Wannabebig Member
    Those things (20 reps) are awesome! I haven't felt my quads burn from squating for months. I was so excited about that that I carried the 3 x 20 routine through the rest of my workout. I think that might actually help me get over my sticking point on the presses as well.

Do you throw the low weight / high rep workouts in once in a while to change things up and provide a bit of a break? Seems like it would work quite well.

As an aside, I found curls to inflict the most pain during the workout. I guess it stands to reason that your back should be tense while lifting something in front of you.

The soreness is most definitely subsiding, but it's still there. I'll take it easy this week, and I should be rolling again.

Wannabebig Member
    Alright, I got another new one tonight, and I gotta ask...

"Does the incidence of strains increase with the amount of weight being used?"

I feel like a pretty big idiot at this point. I just got over one strain, and now I have another one. I really thought that I was being careful, spent plenty of time warming up, stretched thoroughly, and conservatively worked my way up to the working weight.

Got this one curling, of all things. It popped up during the eccentric part of the movement. I felt it, but my body didn't say "Stop!" (I know when it's telling me that). I finished the set, stretched it as best I could, and then carried on.

If this is just something that happens, I can understand and it's a sacrifice that I'm willing to make. But if I'm doing something horribly wrong, I should probably fix it. It's just a little irritating that I might have to take it easy for another week. So, have you found that as the weight got heavier you experienced more strains?

For what it's worth, it's feeling a little better already (4 hours later)... maybe I'm just getting used to this?

EDIT: Just read my post above, and thought I should point out that this is a totally different muscle.
    Last edited by MechEng; 06-29-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Do you throw the low weight / high rep workouts in once in a while to change things up and provide a bit of a break? Seems like it would work quite well.

As an aside, I found curls to inflict the most pain during the workout. I guess it stands to reason that your back should be tense while lifting something in front of you.

The soreness is most definitely subsiding, but it's still there. I'll take it easy this week, and I should be rolling again.
    - I do during deload weeks.

-If any exercise hurts it, don't do it.

-Even if you start feeling 'good', dont you dare jump back into it full force. Give it at least 2 more weeks of proper rehab work AFTER you think its better.

Alright, I got another new one tonight, and I gotta ask...

"Does the incidence of strains increase with the amount of weight being used?"

I feel like a pretty big idiot at this point. I just got over one strain, and now I have another one. I really thought that I was being careful, spent plenty of time warming up, stretched thoroughly, and conservatively worked my way up to the working weight.

Got this one curling, of all things. It popped up during the eccentric part of the movement. I felt it, but my body didn't say "Stop!" (I know when it's telling me that). I finished the set, stretched it as best I could, and then carried on.

If this is just something that happens, I can understand and it's a sacrifice that I'm willing to make. But if I'm doing something horribly wrong, I should probably fix it. It's just a little irritating that I might have to take it easy for another week. So, have you found that as the weight got heavier you experienced more strains?
    -No, strains don't necessarily correlate with heavier movements. I've had issues with my hamstrings, simply with running.

-If you are truly warming up correctly, stretching muscles on a daily basis, EATING AND HYDRATING properly, then take a look in your form. Strains shouldn't just happen, although I admit sometime it seems like they do..maybe look into Physical Therapy also.
    Last edited by Jonathan E; 07-01-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Hmm... it could be a hydration issue. I've tried to keep pretty close tabs on that during the day. Working in an office makes that fairly easy. I now limit myself to one 16oz mug of coffee, and try to get at least four 16 oz mugs of water throughout the workday. This trend continues when I get home. Perhaps I should seriously evaluate my intake. Maybe it's not as high as I think it is.

What most of this is showing me is that I need some work on my posterior chain / spinal erectors.

It's still frustrating/irritating that I need to take it back down a notch for at least two more weeks.

I bet two and half hours on the Harley today, and another two and half hours tomorrow, is really going to help with this strain...

Thanks again man!