The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Time Travel

Hybrid View

Time Travel

Do you think time travel is possible. I think its not possible mainly because if it was we would have known it by now, someone could have gone back in time and told us. Plus it wouldn't be much fun.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Mystic Eric

Re: Time Travel

Originally posted by RussianRocket
    Do you think time travel is possible. I think its not possible mainly because if it was we would have known it by now, someone could have gone back in time and told us. Plus it wouldn't be much fun.
    Just because we haven't figured something out yet doesn't mean it can't be done. However, I won't comment because I know very little about this subject.

But, I was thinking the other day, you know how the light that we see from the stars is millions and even billions of years old right? So whatever happend to that galaxy happened billions of years ago and we can technically see it. So think about this, if we can go A LOT faster than the light that's travelling, wouldn't we be able to beat that light and actually travel back in time? Pretty cool eh?

its not possible, all that nonsense you see on tv is nonsense. time is time, theres no way you can ripple through time. you may be able to see the future if your chriogenically frozen. but minor brain damage does occur when your frozen, plus theres no technology to unfreeze you yet.

Mystic Eric
    Originally posted by InferiorDesign
    its not possible, all that nonsense you see on tv is nonsense. time is time, theres no way you can ripple through time. you may be able to see the future if your chriogenically frozen. but minor brain damage does occur when your frozen, plus theres no technology to unfreeze you yet.
    I beg to disagree.

on what?

i dont know if it is or isnt
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

Mystic Eric
    Like I said, once I go to university, I'll take something on this subject but I have little knowledge so far but I do know a little... I know that time "slows" down for those that are going faster. Scientists have put timers on earth and timers on jet planes going at ultra fast speeds. The timers at the ultra fast speeds seemed to have travelled less time than the timers on earth even though both of them were started at the same time. Perhaps Powerman can give us some incite to this.

Time travel is not possible because of Physics/Quanta. You need infinite mass (that we don't have) to travel at the speed of light. I could get into it a lot more, but it's complicated, I have a book right on my desk all about it. That doesn't mean that we can't travel somewhere near the speed of light if we use wormholes or the 4th dimension which I've read a little bit about, however my knoweldge on that subject is not sufficient.
    Last edited by seanilles; 06-15-2002 at 10:49 PM.

Originally posted by seanilles
    Time travel is not possible because of Physics/Quanta.

Depends on your definition of time travel. You're moving through time as we speak. If you're referring to non-continuous time travel, it becomes difficult, but not technically impossible, depending on the direction you're trying to go. Going into the future would be much easier than going into the past.

You need infinite mass (that we don't have) to travel at the speed of light.

Not so much an infinite mass as much as an infinite energy (which, for all intents and purposes would act as infinite mass). This is true to travel *at* the speed of light. Physics doesn't rule out traveling asymptotically close to light speed *on either side* of that limit.

Not to mention the fact that we don't even know why c is a limiting variable.

I could get into it a lot more, but it's complicated, I have a book right on my desk all about it. That doesn't mean that we can't travel somewhere near the speed of light if we use wormholes or the 4th dimension which I've read a little bit about, however my knoweldge on that subject is not sufficient.

Wormholes would be a form of FTL travel, not just near light speed. Same for any other form of multi-dimensional transit. Due to what Eric said above, regarding c as a fundamental property of nature, those pathways would also lead to cross-time travel. Unfortunately, they would be limited to a self-contained zone; in other words, you couldn't travel back before the wormhole was created.

The only ways I've seen in which feasible back-time travel was possible was via a Tipler cylinder or a pair of cosmic strings. Both of which I should add are near impossible from engineering or natural standpoints.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by Mystic Eric
    Like I said, once I go to university, I'll take something on this subject but I have little knowledge so far but I do know a little... I know that time "slows" down for those that are going faster. Scientists have put timers on earth and timers on jet planes going at ultra fast speeds. The timers at the ultra fast speeds seemed to have travelled less time than the timers on earth even though both of them were started at the same time. Perhaps Powerman can give us some incite to this.
    Its the time dilation effect. As an object acquires energy, it also creates a greater "drag" on local space-time; this is often referred to as "gaining mass," though the effect doesn't actually change the object but rather its influence via gravitation on local surroundings.

There's a lot of speculation as to what causes this, but I'll leave that out for the moment. Lets just use Einstein's mass-energy equivelance equation as the cause for now.

This effect has been speculated ever since Einstein first postulated General Relativity, and has been repeatedly quantified in high-altitude aircraft tests, including space shuttle launches. Granted the effect is limited to microseconds, but its still measurable. Those flights are dealing with very small fractions of light speed. As the velocity increases, so will the effect. I've got the exact equation somewhere.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Didn't Albert Einstein prove that time-travel was impossible?

and that goddamn twin paradox
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

I believe it may be possible through the multiuniversal theory... if its correct. we dont know anyway

As man continues to evolve I believe time travel will eventually become common.

I used to believe time was the most powerful thing in the universe but after some internal debate I believe "Thought" is more powerful. Flying at one point was rediculed as impossible, but when enough brilliant minds decide to do something it generally gets done. To say something is impossible is foolish. How many history text do we have to read of people saying the exact same thing in the past about events that we take for granted today before we realize at some point what we consider impossible will be commonplace.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Ps. I'm sure the physics textbooks prior to flight also said that was impossible and had tons of nice little formulae and theories.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

TIME TRAVEL IS POSSIBLE, I'VE DONE IT!!!!

LAST NIGHT I WENT TO SLEEP AT ABOUT MIDNIGHT AND WOKE UP AT 10 A.M. THIS MORNING, THAT'S 10 HOURS OF TIME I CAN'T ACCOUNT FOR!!!!

lol, but seriously I don't know.

Did you hear about those new planes they're supposed to come out with that are the size of a car?
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Homer simpson traveled through time.
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

I don't remember where I saw this, but I think it was a Hawking video...there was an analogy of the fabric of space-time to ants on a picnic cloth. They move from square to square, unable to see what is ahead or what they left behind, but the squares on the cloth are already all laid out and still exist, regardless of whether the ant is on it or not.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Unfortunately its quite a bit more complicated than that....the basic gist of Einsteinian physics was that space and time are fundamentally interrelated.

You bend space, you bend time. This is essentially what I explained above-- as an interesting fact, Einstein and his mentor Minkowski developed this theory based on the work of a German mathmatician named Riemann, who originated the idea of the "multiply-connected space," which was later called the "wormhole." Riemann also developed the space-time metric, which is a high-order matrix that defines the "field" of space-time- remember, when General Relativity was being developed, they were working within the confines of classical field theory, trying to describe gravitation as a field force; as such, they were drawing heavily into earlier work such as Maxwell's electromagnetic equations.

At any rate, even GR is a simplistic and incomplete picture of the universe. Special Relativity was drawn up to help out, but it still didn't solve everything. Quantum Mechanics really put a damper on the efforts of classical physicists to describe the universe as neat field-forces.

Step ahead to the current thinking-- awhile back, superstring theory was (really, still is in a sense) the "big thing." It attempted to reconcile the space-time "field" of gravitation with the wave-particle nature of the other three forces, with some measure of success. Superstring describes the universe as a 10-dimensional entity, with wave-particle phenomena being the "resonations" of Planck-scale "strings," and force-interactions being "harmonies" of those strings as defined by the structure of folded dimensionalities. M-theory, the newest incarnation, takes it a step further by adding a few more dimensions and describing things in terms of multi-dimensional membranes instead of strings. Our entire universe would be a 4-brane (4-dimensional membrane) wrapped around the surface of a "sphere" of n-dimensions.

Where is this going? Well, basically I'm showing that while we're making progress, we still don't have clue #1 about how the universe operates, about time, or about whether or not time even exists. I've recently begun hearing more and more theories over the past few years that make time travel seem more and more likely, if not practical, but due to our lack of clue #1 and serious lack of engineering skills, most of them are centuries off.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Hey Eric, you go ahead and go to University and learn from a bunch of people who dont know.

If anyone develops time travel, he will do it alone in his garage because nobody will believe him, even universities wouldnt give hima grant. Eric, if you are to develop time travel, prepare to lose some friends.

Then get lost back in 1862, and die from the flu.
    Sure you'll try to be a strongman, but nobody would ever be interested in an asian strongman. If anything you'd be hanged.