The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Wannabebig New Member
    Well now that your info and story have been posted on the Crossfit Journal, I would bet the people reading this is about to increase dramatically.

I'm sure your coaches already yell at you for this but I noticed on your snatches that you are pressing out at the top. I recently ran into a crossfit coach who tore his labrum as a result of pressing out their snatch, it also counts as a no rep. I am definitely no expert but I do know that coach is out for almost a year as a result of that tear.

Wannabebig New Member

Wow

I thought Crossfit was total shit until I saw AJ merging over...

It has slightly changed my mind to the scene. Maybe there is something there?

I just want to thank you for putting up this log. It is really inspirational to see how such an elite athlete uses extreme diligence to achieve goals. It's certainly a standard I'd like to keep for myself.

Thanks AJ

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupower View Post
    I just registered for the forum just so I could state that there DEFINITELY are more than three people reading this.
    I 2nd this.

Do you have a video blog AJ? I'd be willing to follow, or support somehow, a daily blog ... or every other day. I'm fascinated with this progression from powerlifter to Crossfit champ. Plus, seeing you drop weight like this is nuts.
    Last edited by CheslinK; 10-25-2012 at 11:58 AM.

I'm stoked you did the Games OPEN WOD 12.2. I keep telling myself to start doing those just so I can watch my progression but then I wuss out.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...NNKKKIINNNSSSS
    Just a lil guy trying to be fit.
    Best competition lifts:
    at 165: 630 sq, 480 bench, 501 dl

Current:
    Weight 145, using ConjugateWod training methods to develop Crossfit-applicable strength with extra work for learning movements and conditioning.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupower View Post
    I just registered for the forum just so I could state that there DEFINITELY are more than three people reading this.
    I did also. I found this thread through the thread Chris started on the CF forums and check it every time I boot up my laptop.

Frankly I get pissed off when I check it and there's no new posts from you

I find it fascinating to hear from an elite performer who is applying himself to try to rise to the elite level in another sport.

Particularly more so from someone who had a negative opinion of it when he first saw it.

Particularly more so also considering that you have to LOSE a substantial portion of what you worked on for years in powerlifting.

I'm very curious about what type of reactions you've gotten from other powerlifters.

I'm sure your friends are supportive but did any one try to talk you out of it or convince you that you had more potential in powerlifting ?

Quote Originally Posted by scxfitter View Post
    Well now that your info and story have been posted on the Crossfit Journal, I would bet the people reading this is about to increase dramatically.

I'm sure your coaches already yell at you for this but I noticed on your snatches that you are pressing out at the top. I recently ran into a crossfit coach who tore his labrum as a result of pressing out their snatch, it also counts as a no rep. I am definitely no expert but I do know that coach is out for almost a year as a result of that tear.
    Yea I get yelled at a lot...lol
    AtLargeNutrition - Support the company that supports WannaBeBig!

Follow me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ajroberts

Quote Originally Posted by CheslinK View Post
    I thought Crossfit was total shit until I saw AJ merging over...

It has slightly changed my mind to the scene. Maybe there is something there?

I just want to thank you for putting up this log. It is really inspirational to see how such an elite athlete uses extreme diligence to achieve goals. It's certainly a standard I'd like to keep for myself.

Thanks AJ
    Glad you're starting to see Crossfit in a slightly different light. Yes there are a few morons who post some of the worst videos online but you can find that with pretty much any sport. The majority are continually educating themselves, going to seminars, seeking out others better than them and make it their mission to be the best coaches/athletes/members they can be.

Quote Originally Posted by CheslinK View Post
    I 2nd this.

Do you have a video blog AJ? I'd be willing to follow, or support somehow, a daily blog ... or every other day. I'm fascinated with this progression from powerlifter to Crossfit champ. Plus, seeing you drop weight like this is nuts.
    I may start video blogging here and there but I'm pretty incoherent after workouts so not sure how they will come across. I'll experiment with a few things and see what I can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug L View Post
    I did also. I found this thread through the thread Chris started on the CF forums and check it every time I boot up my laptop.

Frankly I get pissed off when I check it and there's no new posts from you

I find it fascinating to hear from an elite performer who is applying himself to try to rise to the elite level in another sport.

Particularly more so from someone who had a negative opinion of it when he first saw it.

Particularly more so also considering that you have to LOSE a substantial portion of what you worked on for years in powerlifting.

I'm very curious about what type of reactions you've gotten from other powerlifters.

I'm sure your friends are supportive but did any one try to talk you out of it or convince you that you had more potential in powerlifting ?
    Those I remain in contact with have been supportive, what others say behind my back really has no effect on my life so I tend to let it fall on deaf ears.

Going to meets now is pretty funny though as most people don't recognize me. I've literally stood next to friends I've know for 8+ years and they have to do a double take to figure out who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by ljosaitis View Post
    I'm stoked you did the Games OPEN WOD 12.2. I keep telling myself to start doing those just so I can watch my progression but then I wuss out.
    You just got to do it lil buddy!

Wednesday, Oct 24th, 2012

3-position Power Clean – 185 x 3 sets
    Clean Pull + Hang Clean Pull + Hang Clean - worked up to 225

AMRAP 8 Min:

6 Hang Power Cleans – 155
    12 Box Step Ups (45 lb overhead) – 20”
    24 Double-Unders

Score = 3 + 17

The step ups were by far the hardest part of this workout. The box was just high enough that you couldn't keep a straight line and even though it was a static hold you were constantly shifting the shoulders to get on and off the box. This BLEW them up fast. What sucked is the slower you went the more it burned.

Thursday, Oct 25th 2012

Rest - 1hr stretch and mobilty

Friday, Oct 26th, 2012

Push Press - 175x3x3
    Power clean + Push Jerk - up to 185x3

WOD - "Grace"

30 Reps of Ground to Overhead - 135 lbs

The first CF workout I ever did was Grace. So, when I saw it program today I was super excited to see how much progress I had made. Last time I tested I took 1min 19s off my time going 2:48. My game plan was to go unbroken and pace myself better at the start. The result a time - 1:36 - 1min 12s PR and fasted time EVER at CFPB!

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Roberts View Post
    The first CF workout I ever did was Grace. So, when I saw it program today I was super excited to see how much progress I had made. Last time I tested I took 1min 19s off my time going 2:48. My game plan was to go unbroken and pace myself better at the start. The result a time - 1:36 - 1min 12s PR and fasted time EVER at CFPB!
    Congrats on the PR! Smoking time!

Kick-ass grace time. That's up with the top people. We've actually had 2 guys do it under 1:05, which is just plain ridiculous.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Saturday, Oct 27th, 2012

Stretchy yoga-ish stuff for 1 hr

"Cindy" - AMRAP 20 Min:

5 Pull-Ups
    10 Push-Ups
    15 Air Squats

18+19

Monday, October 29th, 2012

Before I get to today's training just wanted to give a quick update on my weight. Right now I'm sitting at 258.6 after being stuck in the 260's for the past month. I have to give huge props to the boys of at Paleo diet in a box for continued help with my diet.

I was in a bit of a rush so had to train early and on my own. Wrists are pretty banged up so stayed away from the Olympic lifts.

Overhead Squat - up to 125x1

Technically a 30lb pr but nothing to be proud of. Having balance issues still due to shoulder flexibility/mobility. Going to keep hammering away at this until I get it down.

WOD - 3 rounds

Row 200M
    10 OHS
    10 TTB

Great job on Cindy.

5/3/1 Journal

Tuesday, October 30th, 2012

This was not fun...

3 Rounds:

25 Pull-Ups
    25 Ring Dips (Scaled to pushups for the last 35 as triceps were completely shot)

Rest 2 Min

3 Rounds:

25 KBS - 53 lbs
    25 Burpees

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012

3-Position Full Snatch - up to 75lbs
    Snatch Pull + Hang Snatch Pull + Hang Squat Snatch w/75lbs

Reps 10-8-6-4-2:

Squat Snatch - 75 lbs
    HSPU (scaled to box hspu for 6, 4, 2)

Here's the deal with todays training. The weight used is absolutely pathetic but just a few weeks ago I couldn't even squat snatch the bar or perform handstand pushups without someone holding me against the wall. It's far from where I need to be but it's progress.

I feel your pain. Flexibility is so frustratingly important and I have about half of what I need (if I'm lucky).

5/3/1 Journal

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    I feel your pain. Flexibility is so frustratingly important and I have about half of what I need (if I'm lucky).
    Half more than me...lol

Hightlight reel from the gym this week.

For more videos be sure to subscribe to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOttawaStrong1

Yeah, more than three checking this out! This thread could be argued to be one of the most interesting transformations ever! From what I have been told, you were always a pretty explosive youngster even before the power lifting? Shed some weight off of that explosive kid and there ya go! I have been adding hang cleans to most of my workouts for some endurance training, kind of hate the sled!

Keep it up AJ love reading this thread, been watching it for a long time but felt like letting you know a LOT of people are watching this! Go get em!!!

Quick update as I'm sicker than a dog and can barely keep my eyes open looking at the computer screen.

Last Friday I was in Sacramento for a powerlifting meet @SuperTraining Gym and while everyone was weighing in, I hit the following WOD

AMRAP 8 Min Ladder:

Ground to Overhead - 185
    Muscle-Ups

Practiced a few MU's before starting I thought I'd be able to do this RX. Got to round 3 and after missing a bizzilon times decided to stop the WOD and repeat band assisted as really it's more important for me to breath than spend 4 minutes trying to hit 1 movement. Managed to squeak out 6 rounds.

This week was the first week of qualifiers for the OC Throwdown.

WOD was AMRAP 10mins -
    15 cleans @95
    30 Double unders.

Not exactly the best WOD for me being as before this week the most DU I'd linked was like 10 and that wasn't consistent.

Monday I was still in Sacramento hanging out with Kelly Starrett (MobilityWOD.com) at his Mobility clinic. After we got done I decided to do a test run of the Qualifier WOD to get a feel for it.

Managed to hit 3 + 18 which is terrible. After texting back and forth with Anders we knew I'd need some serious work on the DU's before trying again.

Tues - Spent 10hrs driving back to San Diego.

Wednesday - A whole bunch of DU's.

Thursday - Qualifier WOD - 5+2

You can see a little of the action in this weeks PB Highlight reel

Huge improvement over Monday but still far from where it needed to be. I got hung up in the third round and wasn't able to link the DU's.

Plan was to practice more Friday and repeat Sat. Unfortunately, my body had other plans and not only did I have some serious DOMS I also have come down with a pretty rough head cold.

I figured I'd go to the gym anyway Sat and see what I could do. After trying to hit some DU's I knew I wasn't going to be able to do the WOD and so had to submit my score as is which puts me in 664th /721 (surprisingly not last). I'll be looking for a little redemption next week.

As I was already in the gym I figured I'd get a little work in here's what I did.

Front Squat
    225 1x10 & 2x5

Push Press (3mins)
    135 5x10

Clean
    135 x3
    185 x3
    225 2x1
    275 x1
    315 x1 - PR (will post video later)
    335 x0 - didn't get elbows under the bar

All this seemed like a good idea at the time but by the afternoon I was wiped out and in bed. Woke up today in worse shape. Hoping I can shake this thing by tomorrow.

There are three things that I have always found to be the most important with DU's:

1. Rope length
    2. Rhythm
    3. Focusing on one point out in the distance

Rope length is so incredibly crucial, just a slight difference one way or another can cause me from being able to string 50+ together with ease to barely even being able to knock out 10. Keep practicing and you will get those down in no time.
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Roberts View Post
    Quick update as I'm sicker than a dog and can barely keep my eyes open looking at the computer screen.
    Hey AJ! first, i would like to say that you are a big inspiration for me right now as i am sort of in a similar mind state right now to where you have been since you decided to switch from PL to CF (for me it was football and today, with the urging of my girlfriend and many members of my gym, and with inspiration from a Dave Tate article, i decided to dedicate myself to becoming the world's fittest man). I would also like to say that you are most obviously a physical specimen light years ahead of where i am and as such surely know much more than i do about strength and probably fitness in general.

i prefaced with the above because i wanted to give some quick tips that have worked for me lately and i don't want to come off as though i am a know-it-all and that i am anywhere near your level yet. the reason that i felt the need to post this is because i used to regularly get sick (like pretty severely once every two months or more) and, with this sick season upon us, i have yet to get sick in spite of my family, girlfriend, and many others around me being very sick. Obviously this can be frustrating as it can set you back with your goals. So what have I changed to avoid getting sick?

-Cutting wheat/sugar/industrial seed oils from my diet: this recommendation came from Chris Kresser. i don't like recommending cutting things completely from anyone's diet as most everything fits in a pretty grey area, but these three suggestions seem to be pretty universal and everyone i know who has actually followed them has seen great benefit, regardless of their goals.

-Eating a lot of home made broths: My main dietary staple at the moment is broth made from veal bones. I personally stick with grass-fed but I am sure you can get similar results even if you aren't as particular as I am. Any bones will do. I just like the taste of veal broth and, being around CrossFit gyms all week long, I'm sure you've heard people talk about buying grass-fed beef when possible. Again, not necessary. The point is to drink lots of homemade broth as it will stave off a cold really quick and prevent you from getting one in the first place. I would avoid store bought, however, as those tend to contain a bunch of crap. It's pretty simple to make too, just takes time: add about 2 lbs of bones, water, salt, pepper, and whatever else you want (or just leave as is), then cook it on the lowest temp choice for 24-48 hours.

-probiotics: this one is tricky as if you take too much at once you may experience "die-off", in which your body's symptoms will get worse as the pathogens in your gut will get killed off by the good bacteria you put into it. Be very gradual with your approach here. Increase in teaspoon increments at a time. I recommend homemade probiotics (attained by fermenting veggies and other foods, usually with a starter culture in a mason jar), but store bought will work just fine. You can also purchase probiotic drinks such as kefir (i go with Organic Pasture's new raw kefir product line) and kombucha.

-zinc/vitamin c: whenever I feel or even sense the onset of a cold (ie: come into contact with someone else who is sick), as soon as I can I supplement zinc and vitamin C. this, and my fermented cod liver oil/butter oil blend are the only supplements i take.

-taking high/low days, resting or doing recovery workouts when i don't feel right/paying attention to resting heart rate (or HRV score if you have access): this comes from the recommendations of Joel Jamieson. I had a client who was nice enough to give me a heart rate monitor and I check my resting heart rate every morning, then, based on whether or not the score was around my normal (which is about 50 BPM on days where I wake up ready to kick the crap out of a workout) I decide whether I am going to push it or back off for the day. Typically, if my score is good that morning and my body feels energized and ready to go, I will work up near my max heart rate during the workout and lift as heavy as possible that day. If not I will back off and focus on aerobic capacity, not allowing my heart rate to exceed the 130-150 BPM range (probably about 65-75% of MHR). Something I did yesterday which I will probably revert to again as I felt great afterwards was the late Charlie Francis' concept of tempo intervals (12-15 secs of work at 75% speed with ~1 min of rest. I ended up just working my HR just above 150 and recovering until it dropped below 130 which sufficed). I seriously felt revitalized and more powerful after doing these. My vertical jump, perplexingly, was a few inches higher just a few minutes after doing this.

-Lots of rest and recovery: if i don't sleep much at night, i now make it a point to get a nap at some point during the day. not some measly 20 minute nap. i'm talking 1-2 hours of full sleep. it's not the same as getting a full 8 hours at night, but it is definitely better than going through the day groggy and unrested.

Hope this all helps, and I'm looking forward to hearing about you rebounding from this cold like it never happened, avoiding colds for the rest of the cold season, and meeting your goal of being the world's fittest man, and hopefully we'll compete alongside each other this year as well

Erik Boyd

Thanks for the tips Erik.