The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    you generate a higher power output over a longer period of time kipping. they are easier than strict, but the workouts are to increase your metabolic conditioning. do 4 sets of 8 strict pull ups, then do 32 kips in a row. you'll be out of breath, your fore arms, back, biceps, abs, etc will all be feeling it.

Wannabebig New Member

Train your weakness, not your strength

This is going to sound wild, but consider dropping your strength training to only 2 times a week! What, am I an idiot?! Strength training rocks! Yes I agree, that's why I stick to powerlifting and strongman, BUT consider the numbers mentioned above.

Top level guys squat around 400 and pull around 500. You're focusing on your most trained attribute 4 days a week, yet don't have a structured plan for aerobic training, that which you need to work on most. Think about it.

You could lose 200-300 pounds off your main lifts and still be fine as far as strength goes, but your aerobic condition is not competitive. That's what you might want to focus on and get a cardio coach who really understands the energy systems and how to increase mitochondria, cardiac output, fast/slow twitch oxidative capabilities, threshold training, cardiac power and so on. The aerobic system has a tremendous capacity for improvement, it should be the base of training for an endurance sport like crossfit. Crossfit is such a young sport, I can see that the training systems are still developing a lot, and with a smart training program it's possible to get a good advantage over the less educated competitors.

Thanks for sharing your project, it's very interesting to see how your body changes with the change of sport! Thanks a lot! I hope my ideas were helpful to you reaching your goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Alan View Post
    You know, not being into Cross Fit I wouldn't have thought this but I caught some of the games on TV over the weekend and the top guys and gals are amazingly strong and in ridiculous condition at the same time. It was very impressive and fun to watch.

Completely serious question though - what is the reason for the kipping (kipped?) chin ups? People either mock them or mock those who mock them but nobody ever explains them.
    Something to add to Bako Lifter's reply.

People like to give kipping a hard time, and probably more so after this past weekend's games because of the ring dip and HSPU kips. The thing these people fail to realize/accept is Crossfit is Crossfit. It's not bodybuilding. It's a lot of styles and sports mixed but bodybuilding isn't one of them. It's a sport, and sports have rules and standards. A kip is an accepted movement. It's EXPECTED. If it wasn't, the WODs wouldn't have 50-100 pullups. They dont want you to catch your breath..lol It's chin over bar, plain and simple. Get up there any way you can as long as you start from a hang. I don't get why people complain about kipping when kipping is within the rules and the game is designed around it. It's like arguing strict press vs push press--they may both say "press" but they're a different movement.

Anyway..that's my explanation.

Luckily for AJ, he's around people who are open-minded about Crossfit. I didn't even realize Westside was so intertwined. One of our coaches yesterday was doing banded box deadlifts. He was telling me how much he'd learned from Laura Phelps-Sweatt a few weeks back at a collaborative event, and she had told him how much she'd changed things since working with Crossfit. That whole partnership has created a lot of excitement locally and nationally. Crossfitters want to get stronger, and powerlifters want to get fitter. It's really great to see.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Alan View Post
    You know, not being into Cross Fit I wouldn't have thought this but I caught some of the games on TV over the weekend and the top guys and gals are amazingly strong and in ridiculous condition at the same time. It was very impressive and fun to watch.

Completely serious question though - what is the reason for the kipping (kipped?) chin ups? People either mock them or mock those who mock them but nobody ever explains them.
    There is a good discussion about the kipping pull up here http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=5010&page=1
    AtLargeNutrition - Support the company that supports WannaBeBig!

Follow me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ajroberts

July 16th, 2012 @ Crossfit PB

Back from the Games and more motivated than ever. One of the best experiences of my life.

Got to spend a lot of time with various people and had a lot of great feedback on my training. I'm not going to go into all the details as you will see it unfold as we go along.

One thing though is you'll see a lot of changes in my programming as I really focus on my weaknesses. I'm turning the majority of my programming over to Anders Varner and the folks at Crossfit PB. This isn't because I don't feel like what I am doing will work, but more about finding people who have achieved the level I wish to obtain and fast tracking my progress. We both agree that if I wasn't at the strength level I am then what I've been doing with a few small tweaks would absolutely be the best course of action. However, we need to prioritize and as I have some MASSIVE areas I need to catch up on this needs to be prioritized.

Here's how today broke down.

1) Mobility work

2) Snatch off high box - Technique work

Need to learn how to move my body faster. I'm so used to being rigid and tight that it's hard for me to move in a fluid motion.

3) High bar olympic back squat - worked up to 315x5 with 3 second pauses in bottom position

I need to learn to get comfortable in the bottom position as I'm going to be spending a lot of time there with all these new exercises. Surprisingly, I'm able to perform these pretty well but hanging out for three seconds in the hole is never fun.

Metcon - 30 seconds of each x 4 rounds
    a) High bar olympic back squat - 135lbs
    b) Full sit ups
    c) Handstand holds against wall

Rest time was the time it took to get to the next station. Nothing fun about this.

Sprints 100m x 5

Legs were already shot, low back was throbbing and I wanted to quit before we even started. Then I thought "Froning's probably already worked out twice today". Pushed through and although it was by no means fast, I did the work.

Sidenote* In high school my best time for the 100m was 11 seconds flat. I also ran on the 400m relay team and clocked a best time of 53.7 seconds. Gives me something to shoot for.
    Last edited by AJ Roberts; 07-17-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Good stuff AJ! It was nice seeing you guys at the Games. I'm really excited for you.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I can't wait to see what your journal looks like in a year. Heck, even in a couple months the progress towards your goal are going to be huge. Good Stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Good stuff AJ! It was nice seeing you guys at the Games. I'm really excited for you.
    Yea, always good hanging with you Chris.

July 17th, 2012 @ Crossfit PB

1) Mobility work

2) Snatch off low box - more technique work

3) Push Press - 3x5

4a) Ring Dips - Max reps
    4b) Kipping Pullups - Max Reps

Figured out how to string together kipping pullups. I get a little wild after 3 or 4 reps but I felt like I made a step in the right direction today.

AMRAP - 12 minutes
    a) Snatches x14 w/115lbs
    b) Burpee to Ring dips x7
    c) 400m

Later in the evening I hit 30mins on the elliptical after I got done coaching.

Don't be shy, what were those max reps? Let us all see the start so we can better admire the finish!
    Last edited by Bako Lifter; 07-17-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Don't be shy, what were those max reps? Let us all see the start so we can better admire the finish!
    I think I went 14, 11, 10 on the dips and 10, 10, 14 on the pull ups. I actually did probably 6x3 on pull-ups after that practicing the kip.

July 18th, 2012 @ Crossfit PB

Today was one of those days were everything hurt. Luckily, my massage girl could squeeze me in and so I got a little work done to flush out some soreness before I had to hit the gym.

In the gym we focused a lot on technique and didn't worry about the weight, so if everything seems light, that's because it was.

1) Mobility Work

This was brutally painful today and came straight from Kelly Starett. Basically, we took a Rouge VooDoo Floss Band and wrapped it around the top of my arm as tight as possible, then forced my arm into flexion and extension before hanging on the pull-up bar. Hurt like a bitch but gave me at least a inch of extra arm length allowing me to get into the front squat position.

2) Split Jerk - 5x3 w/95lbs

Technique, technique, technique. Learning to move my body fast under the bar vs moving the bar fast away from the body is going to take some time, but things started to click towards the end.

3) Front Squats - 5x3 w/135lbs

Don't really remember how many sets we did as again we were just working on technique. Keeping elbows up and getting my body into the bottom position. Frustrating as the weight feels so light yet I struggle with the catch position and balancing so the concentric phase is terrible. At least standing up is easy.

4a) Romain Deadlifts - 3x8 w/225lbs
    4b) Goodmornings - 3x8 w/95lbs

Superset with no rest between them. Hamstrings were fried.

Conditioning Test - 5mins

Row 500m then complete as many Thrusters w/95lbs as possible. I finished with 20.

This was done to give us some base numbers for my current fitness level. I will do a few more tests next week as well. Plan is to come back to these every now and then to track progress.
    Last edited by AJ Roberts; 07-18-2012 at 06:19 PM.

The mobility work sounds painful!

In my humble opinion, the jerk is the toughest movement to master. It's not natural to force yourself under a bar before getting stable on your feet. I still suck at it, 2 years later.

Do you know of an example video of that mobility work you did? I need that front rack position ROM really bad.
    Last edited by Patz; 07-19-2012 at 03:59 AM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Wannabebig New Member
    I'm not certain this is the same mobility drill that AJ used, but it sounds very similar. I tried doing it with Ace bandage, but it really makes a difference using the voodoo floss or a similar product.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/04/b...is-do-you.html

I wish kstar could torture me in person.

I can imagine how difficult the Olympic stuff will be to learn and be able to perform... I don't know I could do it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member

Are you from Owensboro

AJ,
    I was trying to find out more about you and unless someone else on WBB has your name it looks like you lived in Owensboro. I'm from the area and was shocked. Anymore you can tell me about your stay in Daviess County?

Wannabebig New Member

Kipping Pull-Up

When I think about the kipping pull-up, the first thing that comes to mind is: it is a timed competition and speed is rewarded. Unless you can prevent it when writing the rules, which would be tricky, people are going to do it.

It appears analogous to several things in the power-lifting world. There is a pause at the bottom of the bench, I presume because people would bounce it without it. Can you imagine the bounces (kips) that would occur if that standard were removed.

Whenever I see a powerlifting video I ask "why in the world do they stand with such a ridiculously wide stance on squats?" I assume it is so the bar doesn't have to travel as far, and not because there is some anatomical consideration that makes this a superior form of squatting. Same with bench shirts and other gear. To those of us on the outside it looks like a kip...something you do solely because it gives you an advantage within the sport.

On kipping and setting the standards...I know Rippetoe has said in the past the the overhead press was banished because people were leaning back, turning it into basically a standing bench press (kipping) and it was to hard to rewrite the standard in an enforceable way, so they just jettisoned the lift altogether.

If anything I have said is incorrect because I am ignorant of the real reasons powerlifters do things correct my errors and forgive me. This is just how I think of the kip relative to things within powerlifting.

I lived there back in 2008 for a brief period of 11 months. I ran the personal training at Anytime Fitness off highway 54

July 19th, 2012

Today was a "deload" day so no gym workout.

I did run some hills (8) with my dogs. They absolutely loved it, wish I could say the same :-)

Wannabebig New Member

high resistance intervals

A tip for hill sprints: try them as high resistance intervals. Since you have a high bodyweight this makes it more effective. Do 5-10 second sprints and rest enough to bring heart rate to below 130. Can go up to 10 sets a couple of times a week.

This should have the effect of actually increasing the aerobic capabilities of your fast twitch fibers, which normally are primed for anaerobic work. Avoid getting your heart rate over your anaerobic treshold, so that the work is high intensity but aerobic! More than 10 second sprints with high resistance will start accumulating lactic acid which defeats the purpose of high resistance intervals for aerobic efficient power output. I believe the effect on a cellular level is increased mitochondria in the fast twitch fibers, but I might remember wrong. This should be helpful since your fast twitch fibers are pretty large.

July 20th, 2012 @ CFPB

Body is complete shot from all the training this week. On a scale from 1-10 (1 being the least) I'd say I'm at about 7 for soreness. But I don't have time to rest and honestly it really doesn't matter whether I'm in a fatigued state as it's more about doing the work, putting the time in, and teaching my body to perform when it doesn't want to. That being said when I rolled into the gym and saw what was on the board for me, I knew today was going to be a gut check.

1) Mobility Warm Up

2) Power Cleans - work up to max

135x5
    185x3 x2
    205x3
    225x3
    245x2
    265x2
    275x1
    295x0x0x0x0
    245x2x2

This was pathetic. I hit 275 in high school weighing a whooping 190lbs. I shouldn't have taken a 20lb jump but I had in my head to work up to at least 315 so this caught me off guard. Just couldn't get my body under the bar and allowed that to get to me mentally.

EMOTM - 10 mins

Power Clean 195lbs x 3

Technique seemed to get better as I went along thanks to all the feedback I was getting between rounds. Still a long long way to go but it started to click some towards the last few rounds.

Rest 10 mins

WOD
    Overhead Press x30 w/135lbs(anyway you can)
    Wall balls x60 w/20lb ball

Time: 5:41

Matt Lodin did this with me and crushed it in under 3 mins. Dude's a machine.

Rest 5 mins

Tabata

Airdyne bike - 7 minuts (30 on 30 off)

Are you able to rack the barbell properly on your shoulders yet AJ?

That's a pretty solid time for the wod.