The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

What is your greatest feat of strength (outside of the gym)?

I don't know why you all started going to the gym, but for me, it was a lack of basic strength. Shortly after I'd started hitting the gym, my girlfriend at the time invited me on a camping trip. Toward the beginning of the evening we ran out of fire wood so they sent me down to the entrance of the camp ground to pick up 3 bundles of 30 lbs of logs, a half mile away. All of us were too drunk to drive, and no one offered to come with me, so I went solo. Fast jogged the 1/2 mile downhill to the camp check-in station, and carried 3 awkward bundles of logs uphill afterward. Fell down 6 times due to dehydration and exhaustion, and the walk back took on the upwards of 1.5 hours, compared to the jog which took me ~5 minutes. That's my story, now I want to hear yours. Greatest strength feat outside of the gym

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

carried 2 entire trees (not similtaneously) that had fallen down in a storm to my camp site for me and my bros to chop and and make fires, we had hiked 17 miles that day and we were going to hike 17 more the next day. I estimate them to be around 150 lbs a piece and the trek was about 1/3 of a mile each way or thereabouts. It was exhausting at the time bc I wasn't very cardiovascularly conditioned. I am sure it would be easier now. I was surprised how much it took out of me to be honest because i could easily clean and jerk these long tree trunks but carrying them just wore me out. Huge difference between max effort strength and endurance strength thats for sure.
    Last edited by dynamo; 06-29-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K Y L E View Post
    I don't know why you all started going to the gym, but for me, it was a lack of basic strength. Shortly after I'd started hitting the gym, my girlfriend at the time invited me on a camping trip. Toward the beginning of the evening we ran out of fire wood so they sent me down to the entrance of the camp ground to pick up 3 bundles of 30 lbs of logs, a half mile away. All of us were too drunk to drive, and no one offered to come with me, so I went solo. Fast jogged the 1/2 mile downhill to the camp check-in station, and carried 3 awkward bundles of logs uphill afterward. Fell down 6 times due to dehydration and exhaustion, and the walk back took on the upwards of 1.5 hours, compared to the jog which took me ~5 minutes. That's my story, now I want to hear yours. Greatest strength feat outside of the gym
    Was the fire already out by the time you came back? Why didn't your friends help? I'd understand if it was just your girlfriend there but if there were some guys there then they are weak and useless.
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift!"
    - Jón Páll Sigmarsson, World's Strongest Man Champion (1984, 1986, 1988, 1990)

5'7", 200lbs

Gym / Competition Lifts - all unequipped
    435lbs / 413.3lbs
    325lbs / 286.6lbs
    565lbs / 551.1lbs
    Federations Lifted In: PRIDE Powerlifting (now defunct), AAPF/AWPC, USAPL, WABDL

Quote Originally Posted by Yosh86 View Post
    Was the fire already out by the time you came back? Why didn't your friends help? I'd understand if it was just your girlfriend there but if there were some guys there then they are weak and useless.
    Ha, I guess they had enough logs left to keep it going. My friend was busy trying to hook up with his date, and the 4 other guys were both weak, and useless. It was a good experience though, gave me a good almost two hours to run away from my problems and think about something else.