Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Deadlift form

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    654

    Deadlift form

    Hi all

    Three weeks ago I was attempting to go for 7 reps of 207kg deadlift (about 455lbs), I had previously got 6 reps the week before without problems. But this time, on the 2nd rep there was a load crack in my lower back, I had to put the weight down and hard a hard time bending over after that.

    For the next 2 days it hurt to bend over but it has gotten a lot better now but still not 100%. I have been easing back into it and today did 4 reps of 187kg, I was going for 5 but on the last rep there was a tiny tiny pop again but no pain or anything. I think it may have happened due to me losing pressure in my gut/abs or something so I stopped.

    Anyway, since then I have been trying to sort my form out so it doesn't happen again but after videoing myself I can see my back is very horizontal, and it's almost like my back stays horizontal while my legs lift the weight and then I do a stiff leg deadlift to pull my back up. When doing it though it doesn't feel like that at all.

    I have tried everything under the sun to fix my form but no matter what I do it always ends up looking the same when I film it. It's like my legs are too long or something. I was wondering if anyone may have any tips for me, or is it possible due to my body shape/type I can't do deadlifts properly and would be better off with romanian deadlifts or something?

    Here is a vid of my doing 5 reps of 167kg (about 365lbs) last week while easing back into it trying to sort my form:



    Thanks

    Edit: by the way I know I'm not fully locking out - I didn't realise that till filming this video but I have fixed that now (wasn't a lack of strength, just needed to make myself lean back more). Also I don't usually use a belt, I just got one after this back issue to see if it would help but it doesn't so I no longer use it
    Last edited by greemah; 07-09-2012 at 01:24 AM.

  2. #2
    Strongman Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    102
    It looks like you are doing a stiff leg deadlift, your back is flat which can be good for some people but you are not really engaging your hips in the movement which will typically decrease the amount of weight that you can lift and can put you in a bad position when going heavy.

    Have you tried wider and more narrow stances? As well as Sumo Stance deadlifts?

    It could also be a mobility issue, so you may want to look at some different stretches for your hips, hamstrings, etc. to see if that will allow you to drop your hips more at the start of the pull.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  3. #3
    Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    1,998
    Note the lack of lock out. You stop a bit early.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    It looks like you are doing a stiff leg deadlift, your back is flat which can be good for some people but you are not really engaging your hips in the movement which will typically decrease the amount of weight that you can lift and can put you in a bad position when going heavy.

    Have you tried wider and more narrow stances? As well as Sumo Stance deadlifts?

    It could also be a mobility issue, so you may want to look at some different stretches for your hips, hamstrings, etc. to see if that will allow you to drop your hips more at the start of the pull.
    The stance I am in is narrow (both feet inside my hands). I haven't tried wider/sumo though - do you think that may be a better stance for me allowing me to keep my back more upright?

    If I drop my hips more my shins/knees are in the way of the bar so much I can't pull it up, and also I can't keep my shoulders over top of the bar if I do it which obviously stops me being able to do the lift without just pulling myself into this same position

    Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    Note the lack of lock out. You stop a bit early.
    Yeah I noticed this also after taking the video, it felt like I was leaning back further than I am but I have fixed this now

  5. #5
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    16
    Your hips are a tad too high. Lower back isn't arched. Head is not in a neutral position.

    I would suggest checking out Mark Bells channel on Youtube. He has recently done a number of videos on how to correct lagging deadlift form and how to deal with lifting while injured as well.

    Good luck and good training!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by hamstring View Post
    Your hips are a tad too high. Lower back isn't arched. Head is not in a neutral position.

    I would suggest checking out Mark Bells channel on Youtube. He has recently done a number of videos on how to correct lagging deadlift form and how to deal with lifting while injured as well.

    Good luck and good training!
    I looked this up and watched some of Mark Bell's deadlifts and it looks like he deadlifts exactly the same as I do! Maybe form isn't my problem and the way I'm doing it is ok but I'm not keeping tight enough in my abs or going too heavy to soon. I will lighten the weight and up the reps for the next couple months and ease back into the heavy lifting

  7. #7
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    5
    I looked this up and watched some of Mark Bell's deadlifts and it looks like he deadlifts exactly the same as I do!
    I would respectfully disagree. You and the guys on the Mark Bell videos are keeping your backs straight (I was expecting a little more arch from the Mark Bell guys), but you are indeed higher in the hips. That probably straining your lower back more and putting more pressure on it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by WI_Cheeshead View Post
    I would respectfully disagree. You and the guys on the Mark Bell videos are keeping your backs straight (I was expecting a little more arch from the Mark Bell guys), but you are indeed higher in the hips. That probably straining your lower back more and putting more pressure on it.
    In the vid it looks like his back is completely horizontal when he starts like mine is - so if my hips are higher wouldn't that just be the result of longer legs which I can't help?

  9. #9
    Senior Member CBrons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    73
    intresting
    "To achieve success, whatever the job we have, we must pay a price."

    - Vince Lombardi


    > c b r o n s <

Similar Threads

  1. Deadlift form
    By basbolstar in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 10:39 PM
  2. Deadlift Form?
    By d0rkyd00d in forum Members' Pics and Videos
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-02-2009, 05:19 PM
  3. deadlift form
    By LoneJeeper in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-10-2006, 03:02 AM
  4. Is this the right deadlift form?
    By fizzle21 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 04:46 AM
  5. Deadlift form
    By Timastyle in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-09-2002, 01:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •