The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Lagging arms

Lagging arms

Hey guys, so I've been working very, very hard the last I'd say 8 months or so with diet and training. I'm still very small and have lots of work to do but I'm happy with my progress. I have grown a lot since last year, but one body part that has stayed generally the same size were my arms. I train biceps with back and triceps with chest, both work them very hard. Anyone have any tips for arm growth? For biceps I'm doing barbell curls 3x8, incline dumbell curls 3x10, one arm dumbell curl 3x8 that's my new routine as of a week ago. Tricep routine is tricep pushdowns 4x10, skullcrushers 3x10, overhead tricep extensions 3x10 - dropset to failure.
    Last edited by marleau; 07-07-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    I love this sport.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Try doing less work for the arms...No, I'm serious...Couldn't hurt to try it for a couple of months...You might be suprised.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I have tried that in the past, literally doing 2 sets of chinups and 3 sets of dumbell curls for biceps. My arms are (not kidding) probably the longest in my town lol they're very lanky and dangly which is why it takes so much to make them grow.
    I love this sport.

More direct work and more time.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    More direct work and more time.
    care to elaborate?
    I love this sport.

big arms take years; like Rory said "direct work and more time."
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Train chest and back together. Compounds with lower volume. Give yourself two days and then train your shoulders, triceps, and biceps together.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

thanks guys. had a good back/bi workout today focused on really squeezing that bicep at the peak of my lifts.
    I love this sport.

Alot of good advice and ideas so far. I'd like to know what routines you have tried in the past that has not allowed them to grow. Like Offroad stated you coukd easily be over training them. Also as Rory stated you could benefit from direct work. You know what hasn't worked so we need to know what you have tried. Not bicep specific but you whole routine.
    Ht 5'3"
    Wt 186lbs
    Squat 405
    Deads 450
    Bench 325

from what ive learned with any muscle group... you need to focus on squeeze, contracting at the top and stretching at the lower end of the movement. so many times i see people just trying to move the weight and they wonder why they dont grow.. theres more to building muscle then just moving the weight
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

Quote Originally Posted by stanton View Post
    Alot of good advice and ideas so far. I'd like to know what routines you have tried in the past that has not allowed them to grow. Like Offroad stated you coukd easily be over training them. Also as Rory stated you could benefit from direct work. You know what hasn't worked so we need to know what you have tried. Not bicep specific but you whole routine.
    uhhh well the thing is ive cleaned up my diet a lot the last little bit so that could also be why i havent seen gains. i've sone starting strength, a 3 day split, a low volume routine, a back/triceps chest/biceps routine.
    I love this sport.

Quote Originally Posted by marleau View Post
    uhhh well the thing is ive cleaned up my diet a lot the last little bit so that could also be why i havent seen gains. i've sone starting strength, a 3 day split, a low volume routine, a back/triceps chest/biceps routine.
    \

try doing more volume? how could cleaning up your diet have anything to do with not seeing gains? as long as you're eating over maintenance calories you should see gains.

maybe you should really focus on form and make sure you're doing the lifts correctly.. like i said in my other post quit worrying about just picking the weight up and moving it and focus on doing it correctly
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

Since you've tried all those things, your arms are probably as big as they are going to be at this weight.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

by cleaning up i meant eating more and getting a bigger calorie surplus. i think i need to put on some more weight....or should i cut? 6'2 195 lb
    I love this sport.

LuNa
    Hey guys, so I've been working very, very hard the last I'd say 8 months or so with diet and training. I'm still very small and have lots of work to do but I'm happy with my progress. I have grown a lot since last year, but one body part that has stayed generally the same size were my arms. I train biceps with back and triceps with chest, both work them very hard. Anyone have any tips for arm growth? For biceps I'm doing barbell curls 3x8, incline dumbell curls 3x10, one arm dumbell curl 3x8 that's my new routine as of a week ago. Tricep routine is tricep pushdowns 4x10, skullcrushers 3x10, overhead tricep extensions 3x10 - dropset to failure.
    Your first two sentences pretty much sums it up. Are you sure your arms arent just in proportion to the rest of your body (i.e. you dont see 19 inch arms happening on someone that is 6'2 195lbs)? Keep making good progress and in a couple of year you will have made dramatic changes to your appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNa View Post
    Your first two sentences pretty much sums it up. Are you sure your arms arent just in proportion to the rest of your body (i.e. you dont see 19 inch arms happening on someone that is 6'2 195lbs)? Keep making good progress and in a couple of year you will have made dramatic changes to your appearance.
    My back is too big for my arms, my chest is too big, shoulders are too big, it's my extremely long biceps/triceps/forearms that make my physique look off.
    I love this sport.

Thanks for posting your past workouts. You need to feed the extra muscle you have put on. The rule of thumb is every 30lbs gained equals 1" arm diameter. It's not set in stone but a guideline. I think you need to keep a journal to see your progress. Can't go by the weight scale alone. You will have to find what you respond too. I measure every 20th of each month.... I can look back over 3 years to see what has or hasn't worked for me. No offense but your still a little thin so to speak. I think your heading in the right direction as far as increasing cals to grow. Having longer arms means you can pack more muscle on them. I have short stubby arms since I'm so short... Your lucky bro.

Start a journal, increase your cals and track/ measure your progress. Keep eating to grow man. In time you will see what you respond to best. How's your wheels compair to the rest of your body? Thick legs makes thick arms too.
    Ht 5'3"
    Wt 186lbs
    Squat 405
    Deads 450
    Bench 325

My back is too big for my arms, my chest is too big, shoulders are too big, it's my extremely long biceps/triceps/forearms that make my physique look off.
    This thread is just damn silly. Just train. If a part lags, train it harder/more often. You don't "overtrain" a muscle group into submission and atrophy. What may happen is the potential of overuse injuries and inflammation. You're likely nowhere near this threshold. Up your volume. Train your arms by themselves on your first workout of the week. Don't make silly rationalizations about chest and shoulders being "too big". Then check back with us in a year.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Hello fellow Ontarian,

First - Eat more
    Second - As Cards said- This will take time. Sorry.
    Third - Try to focus more on your Triceps - They are 2/3rds of your upper arm. Try Heavy Close-Grip Bench, Dips, etc....

Good Luck. And stay at it. Be a Persistent bugger.

Cheers
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )