The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

remove

n/m
    Last edited by frankm007; 12-23-2006 at 07:21 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

A while ago I used to run 15 minutes after workout and would aim to shed 250 cal. Some weeks I would dedicate 45 mins only for cardio and no lifting. This routine did help me buckle up my waist belt from next hole but I also lost strength (and too much of it). Now I run 15 minutes post workout 3 days a week and at moderate intensity (10 cal per minute).

I do 20 minutes of cardio postworkout, and then 20 minutes of cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach on non-training days.

MS

Monstar,has all the cardio interfered at all with strength or muscle development? I am planning on doing my cardio similar to what you are doing.

Recently its been 45-60 mins a day. I am cutting though.
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

0 minutes

In my opinion, there is just not enough positives to outweigh the negatives, and not enough positives in general. I let the diet do the work, and my heart...well, I could work on that with 10 min worth of intervals, if I reaaaally wanted.

I thought this article about cardio for fat loss was interesting:
    http://testosterone.net/html/33plain.html
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

i do umm.........no cardio
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

I do it on weekends just to give me energy.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Dead Sexy Member
    No cardio either.

I knew Jane was going to reference that article again.

Ecoli die
    I used to do none, now I do a lot. 1+ hours a day 5 days a week seperated by at least 8 hours from my lifting routine. I break it down into at least 20 minutes of HIIT training and at least 40 minutes of high intensity cardio (I do cardio before HIIT though). I rotate which exercises I will do so I'm not always running or biking or swimming or stair climbing or elliptical running or climbing.

Since I started doing this, I've lost a ton of fat and I've simultaneously gained a lot of muscle, but I'm just coming off a 10 year gym free, McD's & Mountain dew diet so it was easy for me to make muscle gains and lose fat at the same time.

I intend to cut out a lot of the cardio and just do the HIIT training 3 to 5 days a week once I reach 8% body fat.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Wannabebig Member
    Right now, I do cardio twice a week. For the first session, I use the treadmill and I do a steady walk and then a very slow-paced jog for about half-an-hour. It gets me sweating without making me feel like I'm burning very much muscle.

The second cardio session is a bit tougher. It's still a fairly slow jog, but its about a 3 (maybe more) mile run along the shore near my house. It's a killer, especially on the legs, but it makes me feel great afterwards.

Personally, I've experimented with so many different forms of cardio. I've done HIIT (didn't get great results) and I've gone as far as running two miles every night (but that was when I was trying to lose weight). I found I was getting smaller from both of them, but alot of this had to do with my diet. After experimenting with cardio so much, I've come to the conclusion that diet is much more important. Cardio is just a very small part in the leaning out process, IMO.

-Justin

None for me (currently cutting).

If I'm still dragging a bit when I get to the gym I'll do about 3 minutes of eliptical, pretty insense, before I start my workout.

I do cardio twice a week.

After my back and bicep workout.
    And on one rest day.

20-30 minutes running.
    Stats / PERSONAL BESTS

BF: 10 %
    Height : 176cm
    Weight : 170-172 lbs (78 kg)
    Biceps : 16" +

Incline DB Bench Press : 90lbs x 7
    Hack Squat Machine : 450lbs x 4
    Bench : 225lbs x 8 / 235lbs x 5
    Parallel Dips : BW + 172lbs x 7
    DB Shoulder Press : 80lbs x 6
    Standing BB Curl : 138lbs x 4
    Incline Bench : 210 lbs x 4
    SkullCrushers : 132lbs x 4
    Military Press : 176lbs x 4
    Flat DB Flyes : 70lbs x 6
    Squat : 330lbs x 8 / 365lbs X 2

GOAL : Lift Heavier, Get Bigger !

Blue veined member !
    none , I really should but......I`m a lazy ass son of a gun and besides I walk around a gym for 8hrs a day thats enough for me hehehe. I think I`m gonna start a little hiit soon........probably.
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

I ran a 5K race today in 26:57.

25 minutes twice a week..........

I step that up to 30 minutes 3 or 4 x week when I'm tring to get shredded. I used to do even more than that but over the years I have learned that diet is far more important to getting cut. I could probably get cut with no cardio but I HATE to be hungry more than I hate cardio so I'd rather bump up the cardio a bit and not have to go quite so harsh on the diet.
    I stick with 2 short cardio sessions per week even when I'm gaining because cardio vascular fitness is to important to ignore, IMHO.

Wannabebig Member
    i think that the best type of cardio to compliment weight training are sprints and interval training. High intensity...no losses in lean muscle mass

Zero cardio. I rather eat well.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Nada cardio here.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I usually eat too much(at least its not trash), so I force myself to do cardio twice a week. I workout 4 times a week, and do cardio on two rest days, maybe three if I'm feeling fat or lonely.

None.

I did cardio for about 6 months 2 days a week 20-25 minute HIIT, dropped the cardio about a month ago, haven't noticed any raise body fat levels or halting on dropping body fat. Only difference I've noticed is sometimes I tend to breath a little harder when lifting weights as I seem to get tired easier.

At the moment I'm doing very little, maybe two or three sessions a week, one lonf interval session, one VVO2 Max session, each on apaddling machine,then get some water work done at the wekend and maybe a surf if the waves are up.

Then come August September I'll be back to training evereyday and finished my bulk and ready to start racing in December.

Banned
    Jane, that article is the biggest, and I mean BIGGEST load of crap I've ever read. I can't believe I actually read the whole thing and I can guarantee you I'm not even going to open up the link ever again. I would post one of the trillion fallacies in that idiot's article, but as I said I refuse to even have that shite on my computer screen.

Banned
    To all of you guys who do cardio post-workout, do you not find that extremely catabolic?