Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Marcorock log - Italian style

I also did 105*3*3 long pauses with the ram after the shirt work

Lots of volume PR's bro. Nice work.

Judas what do you like/not like about knee sleeves rule?
    Best Raw Lifts
    Squat 260kg (573lbs), Bench 150kg (330lbs), Dead 277.5kg (611lbs)

My Journal

Heading to the IPF Raw World Champs Suzdal, Russia, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by HJP View Post
    Heh... LOTS. But, i'm not sure i want to open up that stupid can ov worms again. I'll get flamed off this forum in a day...

PM me Judas, then we don't invade Rocks log too.
    Best Raw Lifts

My Journal

Ahahah no problems Hayden, you guys can write anything you here. J, go ahead and let it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock1984 View Post
    Ahahah no problems Hayden, you guys can write anything you here. J, go ahead and let it out!
    On a geared powerlifter forum...??? Unlikely.

Last time i ranted on this subject it went fucking viral and ended up on a couple other forums. Buncha whiners...

Oh, and dont worry... i have no problem at all cluttering up Marco's log... hahahahaha

See...???

C'mon J, don't be shy....a good old flame war is always fun!

26/11/2012

Squat
    70*8
    100*6
    120*5 - add belt
    150*3 - add wraps (loose, I wrapped myself at evet set)
    160*4*3 - add Trx straps down
    160*8 - this was work - Pr

Bench
    Bar*8
    50*7
    70*5
    90*4
    100*3
    120*2 - add Ram
    130*2
    120*2
    110*5*2
    100*3*3 - uber long pauses

CSR with hold
    50*10*3

Facepulls
    20*20
    25*20

Db curls
    D10*15*2

Cable flies
    15+15 *20*2

Hanging leg raises
    Bw*12*3

Another solid session

27/11/2012

DL sumo
    70x8
    90x6
    110x5
    120x4
    130x6x4 - add belt

Lat pulldown
    45x15
    45x20

Hypers
    Bw x20x2

FINE.

Knee sleeves are fucking gear. Period. In Olympic lifting, they are used by many, but not the majority. Maybe 50/50? That is an argument the powerlifters that are always trying to rationalize their 'whoring use. But the weightlifters sleeves are the ones fit for their size, not the smallest ones made for girls. What helps you squat the lift up in weightlifting HURTS you when you try and get under the bar fast, and any elite lifter can tell you its better to be wicked fast under that bar than have a monster squat. Squat suits are also allowed in weightlifting... as are full-on knee wraps. Do you see them used? Never.

Knee sleeves in powerlifting will be abused. Period. Powerlifters... for some reason i will never understand... are utterly notorious for taking the easy route out. Knee sleeves are ordered as small as possible. When the rule was first made certain suppliers ran out ov women's extra-small sleeves in Europe... because all the Russian heavies bought them up. That tidbit came right from the horses mouth. Go to IPF raw worlds and look at the majority ov the knees there... you could see veins practically through some ov the sleeves they were so tight. I talked to a few IPF marshalls when i was coaching at IPF raw worlds this year, they said in one or two meets they'd already seen: cut and re-sewn sleeves to be smaller, re-stitched sleeves to be tighter, one had seen the sleeves hide a much modified knee wrap underneath. IN the competition, with my own eyes i saw: doubled-up sleeves, sleeves it took a strong man to put on and pull up for the lifter, and one Russian girl actually glued hers to her legs... and got away with it because she wore them through the bench and deadlift as well. I also saw, at Nationals, at least a dozen raw lifters that had never used sleeves before, using them under the new division for the first time. That was just the lifters i know, so effectively triple or quintuple that figure (its a big country). Why? same reason my girlfriend... who never used or even owned sleeves before said: " Well, if everyone else is using them i'm not giving up that advantage, even if its only 5lbs." I heard that line a LOT.

In a nearby barbell club, known for its geared lifters, a friend ov mine was more than relieved when he heard they were allowed. First thing out ov his mouth? "There's GOT to be 30lbs in the right set-up..." And he is right. I've already seen him and two other guys massaging a pair up his legs. And again at worlds... at least a couple "raw" lifters walking out to squat with that same stupid 'cant bend my knees' gait.

Further... this was maybe 6 months after the rule came in. Do you honestly think companies like Inzer and Titan are not going to capitalize on this? There are parameters for the allowable sleeves, dimensons and such. How much you wanna bet there'll be a 'better' sleeve... specifically made for carryover... on the market soon enough. These are companies that are brilliant at circumventing the guidelines for bench shirts and suits. Look at the SuperKatana... does that look ANYTHING like what the IPF had in mind when they drew the line a few years ago?

My girlfriend got at least a little bit ov carryover from them, and her legs are so small that the small women's sleeves (which is exactly what she is) actually fit her properly. Now, whats that sleeve going to do on my 28" leg? What about these much larger, thicker guys with 30"+ treetrunks? What about the ones that cheat and modify? (because you know, NOBODY ever uses illegal gear mods in powerlifting...). What about 3 years down the road when Inzer has the 'Hypersleeve' and Titan comes out with its 'THP sleeves'? How about some APT strangulator sleeves?

Granted... i'm talking about maybe 10-20% ov the population that would bother (unless ov course the special sleeves do come out, then everyone will), but are you going to win raw against another guy as strong as you, that abused the sleeve rule? No chance.

Gear has its place, fucking lift there. Leave raw to the ones that fought for the division. It was corrupt since the day it was recognized. Why is it so fucking hard for such a 'superhardcore' powerlifter to just lift what he can lift, and if he cant, then either work harder till he can, or admit that he cant?

[/diatribe]
    Last edited by Judas; 11-28-2012 at 03:14 AM.

Solid rant, my friend.

28/11/2012
    Tired as hell, and it showed...

Bench
    Bar*8
    50*7
    70*6
    80*5
    90*4
    100*3
    110*3*2 - this would be a Pr tie, but it was almost ugly
    Then I.should have gone for a 115 double, but called it quits before hurting myself.

Front db raises
    D8*15*2

29/11/2012
    I'm out for work, but decently close to a pl friendly gym, so I was able to sneak a brief but good session in!

Squat
    Bar*5
    75*8
    105*6
    125*4 - add belt
    125*2 - ultra high bar tentative, not good
    145*1 - feeling the lack of sleep (up at 5am) and the 4 hours drive
    155*2 - add wraps
    175*2 - add trx straps down
    190*1
    205*1*2 - straps up, 1st was a bit slow, 2nd was nice and crisp

Csr with hold on top
    45*10
    50*10*2

Db press
    D20*8*10

Db curl
    D10*10
    D14*10
    D18*8
    D12*20

Oh triceps ext
    D20*10*3

Out!

Good rant Judas. I see many points I hadn't thought of in terms of smaller sizing. Some people must be pretty crazy to try get carryover through modifying though, it's raw for a reason isn't it? And the gains must be minimal. 30lbs are you for real? I doubt I dont think I got that from when I used to wrap my knees!! I doubt I get anything from mine (did a session without them an hit a 3 rep squat PR - SLEEEVES I am referring to here) but I guess people will find a way. Are you a raw lifter? Have you lifted equipped before?

Nice bench PR there Rock! Get some sleep ay.
    Last edited by HJP; 11-30-2012 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Wasn't clear I was talking about sleeves in that bit not wraps
    Best Raw Lifts

My Journal

Good rant Judas. I see many points I hadn't thought of in terms of smaller sizing. Some people must be pretty crazy to try get carryover through modifying though, it's raw for a reason isn't it? And the gains must be minimal. 30lbs are you for real? I doubt I dont think I got that from when I used to wrap my knees!! I doubt I get anything from mine (did a session without them an hit a 3 rep squat PR) but I guess people will find a way. Are you a raw lifter? Have you lifted equipped before?
    I've been 100% raw since day one. If it gets to the point where i need gear to lift something, i'll go drive my car instead. I compete raw, in a fed that also allows sleeves (and for that matter, high squats, T&G benches, etc.) so basically every time i go i'm bringing a knife to a gunfight. Knee wraps can be good for upwards ov 100lbs carryover, maybe even more, though i've not heard about it. Even my girlfriend gets at least 50lbs from hers, and she can almost walk normally up to the platform.

Even 15-20lbs carryover is a pretty serious edge. Easily can mean the difference between 1st and 2nd. But... what do you expect from a sport that considers actual knee-wraps raw lifting...

Quote Originally Posted by Rock1984 View Post
    Solid rant, my friend.
    Uh... thats me being really nice...

Haha it's good to be passionate bro!!

By 100% raw do you mean no belt also?
    Best Raw Lifts

My Journal

On saturday, the stressful week and the decadent friday night got the best of me: it was a pretty dismal session...

SQUAT
    bar x5x2
    70x6
    100x4
    120x3 - add belt
    140x3x2 - add loose red devil wraps

BENCH
    bar x8
    60x6
    80x4
    100x2
    120x3 - 3b, add F6
    140x2 - 2b
    150x0 - nothing...!
    140x5 - 3b

Some random stuff, all light and high reps (2x15-20 of lat pulldowns, hypers, triceps ext, blah blah blah)

Haha it's good to be passionate bro!!

By 100% raw do you mean no belt also?
    No. As much as I dont use one, you cant take away people's belts. Heh... you'd have 3 people show up to compete! I really (personally) dont see the need for a half-inch thick power belt, to me that starts to look like carry-over (as evidenced by lifts going down if you give them a typical say, leather 'gym-rat' belt), but again... belts are part ov lifting. I have never heard ov anyone GAINING 5lbs on a lift simply by putting a belt on, only lifters losing pounds if they dont use one... which ONLY happens if you get used to using one. My squat/dead wont increase 5lbs with a big Inzer belt, but take my girls belt away and she'll lose 20lbs off her squat.

How about another turn on the sleeves rant...???

Tonight my girl brought in her Titan 'small' knee sleeves... that she's used in two competitions, but has now decided not to. A guy in my gym wanted to try them so now they're in my gym bag until he shows up. Tonight i tried one on, just for kicks. Now... this is just a 'small', not an 'extra-small'. Neither give her anything really, as even for an elite lifter her legs are disproportionately small. But on ME...??? Fuck. Having tried one on i gotta say now give me a fucking break. If there is not 10lbs immediate carryover in just the size i tried on tonight then... well. Having tried them first-hand now... ITS FUCKING GEAR.

I'm going to test them out in a couple days when i max out my front squat... see what they're worth.

What a stupid sport.
    Last edited by Judas; 12-04-2012 at 03:41 AM.

Heh... see latest journal entry for my sleeves-experiment results.

Yes, I saw it.

Deload week...partly forced by work rythms.
    Yesterday I.did some squats, benched a bit then a few upper auxiliaries.

deload could be be good for you rock, been putting in some solid training
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

I put in a short session on friday, not even worth to be logged.

Work is still killing me, but this deload thing HAS to be over now, no time to lose.

Today's session:

BENCH
    bar x8
    55x6
    75x5
    95x4
    105x3
    110x2
    98x3x2
    90x3x2 - long pause

SQUAT
    bar x5x2
    70x5
    90x4
    110x3
    120x3 - add belt
    130x4x4

Cable flies
    20+20 x10x3

Face pulls
    30x10x3

Cable tricep ext
    15x100 (40+10+10+10+10+10+10)

I need to put in more and heavier assistance work.
    Also, for the next 8 week focus will shift back to raw, with gear thrown in once every 3 session.