Thread: Squat Form Check. (Any Help Appreciated)

Wannabebig Member

Squat Form Check. (Any Help Appreciated)

Hello all,

Before I show you guys the video I would like to give you a little background of what I've been doing. I got tired of seeing little progress after a year and a half of lifting so at the beginning of this summer I began the Starting Strength program along with doing GOMAD. For the most part, my strength gains have been amazing and I'm finally putting on some weight. As of now I stand at 5ft 11in at 149lbs.

As I said before, almost all of my lifts have been making extremely solid progress. Squats however, have continuously given me problems. I started out doing HighBar position squats and began at about 135lbs. It was easy to add weight the first couple workouts because squatting that way wasn't very new to me and I had done the weight before. Once I hit about 175 pounds things started to get really hard. After doing 165x5 for 3 sets the previous workout I completely failed at 175 and did i think 3 sets of 2 (175x2 for 3 sets). I blamed it on a lack of sleep and other minor factors and continued to try 175 for 2 more workouts. On the 3rd day of trying 175 all of the sudden i broke through and pushed through the 3 sets. After the weekend, I attempted to put on 180 and just completely failed again. I believe I did something like 180x3, 180x2, and 180x1.

This brings us to today. I did some research and decided to give the low bar position a try. I dropped the weight down to 165 because I was unfamiliar with the positioning and had to get accustomed to holding the bar that way. We'll see how I progress from there.

The MAIN reason I'm posting here though is to ask you guys if you think theres anything else that could be factoring in to my squats not progressing like the other lifts. Heres a video from todays workout that shows my final set of 165x5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXhnS_uB1BI
    Last edited by Camaron; 07-11-2012 at 08:32 PM.

It's hard to tell how narrow or wide your stance is from that camera view. If it's pretty narrow that's not too bad. Widening your feet would make it easier to stay more upright and keep the low back out of it so much; but also makes it harder to walk out into. You've probably just hit that point now where gains will come slower and you'll just need to be patient and be content with slower progress as long as there's progress. Keep strengthening the low back and just keep squatting. Good luck.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Form looks fine to me. After awhile you can't expect to add weight for the same number of reps and sets every week. Over 3 weeks you went from 175 for 3 sets of 2 to 3 sets of 5. That is still very fast progress. It slows down more the longer you train and not everyone has equal progress across all lifts, usually there will be 1 or 2 that come much easier. Continuing to increase bodyweight will also be very helpful for squatting heavier weights.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Wannabebig Member
    April it was actually 3 days not 3 weeks so I guess Im still progressing. Also, gaining weight is my main goal. I'm tired of being so skinny haha