The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

What Doesn't Work? (open ended question)

We spend a lot of time here trying to find and understand the best ways to train. Sometimes, the best way to understand something is to examine its opposite. I think the same is true with training; to understand what truly works, it can be helpful to point out what does not. My fundamental question to anyone is this: What have you found doesn't work in training? As I eluded to, I think exploring this side of things can enhance ones concept of what is actually worthwhile... it is also nice to have an idea of what to avoid. This is pretty open ended and could be anything from a certain routine, diet... anything... just looking for some useful insights...

oh, and don't be the smart ass that posts something like "what doesn't work: sitting on my lazy-boy and eating pancakes all day - still not stronger ."... or do, but at least make sure its funny....

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Avoiding the things that we suck at. I know its not original but I did that for years. Chose lifts and accessory work that I was good at rather than doing something I sucked at and having to put my ego in check and drop the weights. Once I finally got over that mindset I found that it didn't take long for me to dramatically improve some of those lifts I sucked at by starting small and hammering down on the form.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLift View Post
    Avoiding the things that we suck at. I know its not original but I did that for years. Chose lifts and accessory work that I was good at rather than doing something I sucked at and having to put my ego in check and drop the weights. Once I finally got over that mindset I found that it didn't take long for me to dramatically improve some of those lifts I sucked at by starting small and hammering down on the form.
    I think this is really good info right here. I'm not made for the squat but no longer will I use that as an excuse. I squatted the other day after 3 weeks of no squatting and could lift more than before. I'm now excited to want to squat again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLift View Post
    That's a good one. I was just thinking about some of my lagging lifts the other day and how that will play into my training.... This just reminded me to guard against the natural bias to focus on what I am good at....
    Last edited by NITF; 07-14-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Training too heavy for too many weeks in a row without some lighter or off days. The longer you train for and stronger you get, the more recovery time you need in between real heavy days and less weeks in a row you can go heavy.

There is also another side to spending more time and effort on things you are good at. If there are two lifts you are better at and one not so much, a lot of times it makes more sense to spend more effort on the two you are good at, as you will likely increase the weight faster on those and it will lead to a bigger total. So you should spend some time on things you are not good at but not at the expense of time and effort on the things you are.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by April Mathis View Post
    Training too heavy for too many weeks in a row without some lighter or off days. The longer you train for and stronger you get, the more recovery time you need in between real heavy days and less weeks in a row you can go heavy.
    Yeah... always tough to back off... any general tips on how to know when you should?

There is also another side to spending more time and effort on things you are good at. If there are two lifts you are better at and one not so much, a lot of times it makes more sense to spend more effort on the two you are good at, as you will likely increase the weight faster on those and it will lead to a bigger total. So you should spend some time on things you are not good at but not at the expense of time and effort on the things you are.

Thanks for adding this caveat... makes sense if you are competing for sure; do you think it is equally valid if your not competing?
    Thanks for the feedback by the way! Man do I love this forum and the fact that world record holders hang out here!

Quote Originally Posted by NITF View Post
    Thanks for the feedback by the way! Man do I love this forum and the fact that world record holders hang out here!
    How you know when to back off is everything feels heavier and not as strong, more soreness for longer than usual, joint pain more than usual, lack of energy, stuff like that.

Yes I think the other point is still valid if you don't compete, although if you don't compete just have fun with whatever you like to do. There's no pressure to perform on every lift at once, so you can take more time working on some things then others, and just do what you enjoy.
    Last edited by April Mathis; 07-15-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Banned
    Program hopping and goal hopping.

Guys who jump from program to program never really make any real progress and never learn how to train.

Same goes for goals. Too many guys pick a goal and then ditch it before they reach it because tyhey can't accept the consequences of what that goal may bring. ie: gaining weight and your gut getting bigger. It's gonna happen. Deal with it.