Thread: Shawn's X-fit journey

Shawn's X-fit journey

AJ inspired me to take the plunge. Like him I have been helping crossfitters with their strength. I have my criticisms sure but overall I like the concept. If a box runs its facility correctly, crossfit can help just about anyone.

I joined Crossfit Chaparral which is really cool. It is the only nonprofit box. They are part of their church. The head pastor is the head coach as well. And he is in shape!

https://www.facebook.com/CrossFitChaparral?ref=ts

Todays WOD:
    400 m run
    30 jumping lunges
    30 ring push ups
    for 3 rounds for time.

Well I finished dead last. I did ok the first round. I was actually the 3rd one out the door for the 2nd 400 m run....then.....shutdown!

I did finish which mattered to me alot.

Later in the day I did some fat bar incline presses for heavy sets of 5. Finished with 350x5.

My New Balance Minimus shoes were AWFUL to run in. I felt like hammers were smashing my toes up to my shins. So...time for some good running shoes.

I am feeling accomplished because I am doing something very different for me. It is humbling but I want to be fitter. After a while being a strong lifter is great but I have beat my body up. I believe that this will overall improve my lifting as a raw guy AND increase my health.

Will I ever be in THE Games? Possibly since they have a 60+ category. I have no illusions of fame in this genre. But I am determined to be really good at it...even if I am still dead last.

Last edited by Shawn Bellon; 07-14-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Good work! It still amazes me how tough the simplest WOD can be. Anything is a gasser if you're giving it all you have..even mowing the lawn..lol. I've seen guys come in my gym that are lean and mean and look to be in phenomenal condition get humbled by 5 rounds of 10 squats, situps, and pushups. It's just different. It's fun though.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Yeah and I am not quitting.

Today I hit max work with paused safety bar squats.
    bar x 10
    +200x4
    +400x4
    +490x4
    600x3...forgot to set the pins up so didn't try 4th rep.
    570x4
    530x4

2. Mobility work

3. 15 minutes cardio

Good luck Shawn.

Today I was up bright and stupid early to go train at CrossFit Chaparral. I was a little excited thinking that I would be able to do the thrusters in the WOD. Well, one of the coaches apolozied stating that we were running more. It was at that moment I had wished I stayed in bed but I am committed to this journey. It is going to be a long and tough road but well worth it.

I am around 275 lbs of pretty dense muscle. I have some fat but really am just a lean big guy. So the idea of running for me is placing exponential amounts of force on my shins, ankles and feet. Luckily I did purchase some new shoes to run in.

I am also very out of shape. Running isn't something I do at all. But this journey is sorta the point of doing things I don't do. I want to be more versatile and healthy. I am not going to be a CrossFit Games competitor but I can be much healthier for myself.

We started out with something I could do: weighted chin ups. Now my shoulder was sore but I did ok. It was also nice to mingle with the guys and introduce myself. And it was especially nice to do something I was made for: heavy stuff! We did 5 sets of 3 reps. I started with a 45 but could feel it pull in my shoulder so I wisely dropped the weight. I will never kip. I have no desire and I think it's cheating. So I did my controlled negative style and hopefully earned a brief moment of respect before the running activities would rip it all away.

So after the bad news about running I sorta just smiled and said, "That's why I am here." So I started stretching and loosening up my lower back which was still tight from heavy safety bar squats on Monday. Then another coach mentioned, "Yeah we are going to be running 5 400 m sprints and then do box jumps in between." Sorry everyone but in my head, "OH SHIT" came to mind.

Now mind you I was prepared with my orange backpack full of post workout food, orange water bottle, orange lacrosse ball and brand new orange running shoes. Soooo...I guess you know what my favorite color is? Anyway, I just thought regardless of the bad news I was prepared so I would attack it. Well, I attacked the running like a toothless geriatric eating a steak!

The famililar "PING" in my toes with every step was back, along with my back tightening to the point of spasms. Breathing was not that bad since I was moving as fast as a dead turtle...ok fine...not even that fast. The box jumps were not so bad because the coach scaled me to just doing step ups to protect my back. Then he he decided to put me on the rower which was better for my feet but my back was trashed. Rowers are no joke. Looks easy to do but the execution of 4 400 m rowing sets is no bueno.

When it was all said and done I was happy to be done. I was more done than road kill on the Phoenix highway in July. Except not dead with creepy crawlies eating my flesh. Mental note, need to scan for some new zombie movies later. Anyway, I finished another workout.

Let me share some really cool things I experienced at Crossfit Chaparral:
    1. My workouts are scaled to my abilities and injuries. The coaches are more proactive than I am about this stuff. I sorta don't have much choice with their strong encouragement to pace myself. It's pretty cool because I know these guys really want me to succeed and there is not unrealistic time table.
    2. Everyone congratulates each other! How cool is that. Even though I felt like a loser and was totally humbled with another WOD people would cheer me on.
    3. The coaches spent time to explain and discuss a plan for me personally especially addressing my mobility problems which will take a few months to actively correct.

So far I know I made the right decision for my life change and I chose (or God did) the right facility to be part of during this journey.

Ok zombie time...

Sounds like a really good gym. That makes all the difference in the world in my opinion. Good work!

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Shawn, that is great. I used to say the same thing about the kipping pullups. But after a while, I began to understand them. I now realize that they are not as bad as people say they are and I now implement both strict and kipping pullups in my workouts. I use the strict/weighted pullups in the strength portions and the Kipping pullups for the MetCOns for the conditioning because they are two totally different exercises. One is for strength, while the other is for conditioning.

I'm pumped that your on the same journey bro. You need to take a trip to SD and hit a workout with me sometime.
    AtLargeNutrition - Support the company that supports WannaBeBig!

Follow me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ajroberts

Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    Shawn, that is great. I used to say the same thing about the kipping pullups. But after a while, I began to understand them. I now realize that they are not as bad as people say they are and I now implement both strict and kipping pullups in my workouts. I use the strict/weighted pullups in the strength portions and the Kipping pullups for the MetCOns for the conditioning because they are two totally different exercises. One is for strength, while the other is for conditioning.
    Trying to be open minded but I know for now until I heal its last on my learn list but luckily the head coach agrees. He wants my number one issue to be MOBILITY! OUCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    Sounds like a really good gym. That makes all the difference in the world in my opinion. Good work!
    Yeah really I have been lucky. I hear horror stories but I tend to just know where I fit so I tend to be a little humble and submissive in that environment. They know what they are doing so I will just listen and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Roberts View Post
    I'm pumped that your on the same journey bro. You need to take a trip to SD and hit a workout with me sometime.
    I just mentioned that to Tami. Got a thumbs up. She isn't a CrossFitter but could be. She is actually good at the wods she has tried with NO training for them. Pissed me off.

Bench Max Effort Training: Narrow grip bench press.

I use this style because of my bad shoulder:

Link is work safe. This video explains the elbows out style.

1. H-raises to warm up my shoulders

This is a work safe link of famous bencher George Halbert demonstrating a nice rotator exercise that Chris Mason showed me.

2. Narrow grip bench
    bar x 10
    135x10
    225x4
    315x4 shoulder didn't explode so that was nice.
    300x4
    300x4
    285x4
    285x4
    260x4 really feeling the fatigue in my shoulder
    185x10x5

3. Mobility work

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

This morning at CrossFit Chaparral:

1. 3 rounds of
    5 pullups
    5 kettle bell swings
    200 m rowing

2. Stretch and mobility work

3. Power Cleans
    It's been a really long time since I have done these.
    Stuck with 225 for sets of 3. Technique was bad. I basically was upright rowing the weights. Shoulder was ok too.

4. Cash out!
    AMRAP
    5 burpees
    5 toes to bar

DIE............

Some nice traction work for my back. It's helping alot already.

http://www.sweatangelfitness.blogspo...-pain-and.html

Nice work on the SSB squats!

Have you been timing your WOD's or just working to get through them right now?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Just getting through them. I have such poor mobility that my back spasms really really kick my butt.

Wannabebig Member
    Great to see another Powerlifter doing Crossfit. I really like the respect between our two communities and wish you all the best.

I see you have a lacross ball. May I also recommend getting a Rumble roller, Voodoo Floss bands and some bands for mobility. Then go onto www.mobilitywod.com (WFS) and do every single MWOD.

Voodoo Floss bands are amazing for your elbows, your knees and your upper hamstrings. The rumble roller is like a torture device for your quads, ITB and Entire back particularly your T-Spine. The advantage of the Bands (which I assume you would already have) is their joint distraction qualities and can be used very very effectively on your shoulders, lats and your hips. Use the lacross ball on your hamstrings, back. glutes and Pecs if you feel like inflicting some serious pain. Also get a golf ball to work your planter facia and this covers pretty much your entire body.

The other piece of advice I would give you is to keep your running low and to up the Rowing. This will improve your metcon without the dangers of shin splints for the time being until your weight drops a bit.

Good luck and keep up the hard work