The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think this sums it up pretty well, and echoes my thoughts:

"Is CrossFit the only training system you'll ever need, as its founder and its most enthusiastic members claim? No. And most CrossFitters I've communicated with will acknowledge that. Is CrossFit a fun, challenging, effective training method? Yes ... but only if the benefits it offers are the ones you seek. As long as its goals match your goals, I recommend it."

The author more or less sums up a lot of the back and forth debate without really taking a stance... I appreciate that the article echoes criticisms without bashing, and highlights positives without glurging. Basically, he says that it is what it is.

....Personally, I think there are far better ways to develop maximum strength, size, speed, and endurance without using crossfit, but that's another debate.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Wannabebig Member
    I think the article is trying to be a neutral review of Crossfit with positives and negatives. You can find more scathing reviews and criticisms out there.

My thoughts are Crossfit are as follows:
    Positives - I think that Crossfit is good for intense circuits and fat loss. The community does have a lot of good people in it who enjoy training hard. Crossfitters have a competitive mindset which I think is good. Introducing many more people to barbell training with squats, deadlifts, cleans, and snatches.

Negatives - I don’t like the random programming without a goal. I don’t like high rep Olympic weightlifting or other high rep injury causing exercises i.e. box jumps. The way Crossfit HQ just excommunicates people or discredits experts if they don’t toe the party line as well as how they bully certain people to shut down their blogs/websites like The Naked CrossFitter and Beastmodal Domains. Kipping pull ups. The word “Elite” thrown around. Over all false claims such as Crossfit athletes are better at bodybuilding than bodybuilders and claims to increase a deadlift from 200lbs to 500-700lbs in 2 years of Crossfit programming or how Crossfit tries to take credit for previous athletic accomplishments of people who transition into Crossfit.
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift!"
    - Jón Páll Sigmarsson, World's Strongest Man Champion (1984, 1986, 1988, 1990)

5'7", 200lbs

Gym / Competition Lifts - all unequipped
    435lbs / 413.3lbs
    325lbs / 286.6lbs
    565lbs / 551.1lbs
    Federations Lifted In: PRIDE Powerlifting (now defunct), AAPF/AWPC, USAPL, WABDL

You really think the article was neutral? I saw alot of passive aggressive writing.

Wannabebig Member
    I have to admit that I'm a fanboy of cross fit, especially Annie Thorisdottir. . That said, I don't think one exercise discipline is the end all be all. Plus, not everyone can be a strongman, a CF athlete, a tri-athlete or what ever the heck Alex is.
    Goal Weight-225lbs.
    Lifting Goals:Squat-405x6,Dead-405x6,Bench-350x6

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Bellon View Post
    You really think the article was neutral? I saw alot of passive aggressive writing.
    Like I said this article at least tried to show positives and negatives. The author went to a couple gyms, tried out some Crossfit workouts to experience it himself, and offered to interview Glassman for his perspective. That seems open minded to me and I think the author's conclusion that Alex.V quotes shows how Crossfit could be an acceptable methodology if that suits your personal goals.

5'7", 200lbs

435lbs / 413.3lbs
    325lbs / 286.6lbs
    565lbs / 551.1lbs
    Federations Lifted In: PRIDE Powerlifting (now defunct), AAPF/AWPC, USAPL, WABDL

There are bad boxes and there are great ones, just like there are shitty gyms and good gyms. While I agree that some of the workouts are downright retarted for newbies to do, you just have to be smart and scale them. I think a workout like Murph is stupid if you are new, or not used to the volume, but for others, it is OK. That is why you should scale the workouts. I think that the new in thing to do is write articles bashing crossfit.

Gonna read the article later, but I agree with pretty much everything in this thread. I love Crossfit. It fits me and adds consistency to my inconsistent nature. I need the structure. I don't like the culture it's created, but every box is different. Our sister box has a lot of drama and elitism, while ours has virtually zero douchiness. It all depends on the leadership and really, there's more of us that just have fun. Unfortunately, we're also the ones who aren't the type to run our mouths, and the d'bags ARE.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Wannabebig Member
    I think the explosion in the number of Crossfit gyms due to increased popularity without some sort of quality control on these gyms has lead to more criticisms of Crossfit and the Crossfit system within the past couple of years. A few years ago there were probably only a few hundred Crossfit gyms and now there are probably thousands so the overall quality has gone down. The expertise hasn't kept up with demand in my opinion. Also I think the Crossfit culture of being "elite" is hurting that level of expertise since they don't try to learn from other coaches or other experts in their respective fields if they don't echo the same things that Crossfit HQ spout off.

5'7", 200lbs

435lbs / 413.3lbs
    325lbs / 286.6lbs
    565lbs / 551.1lbs

I agree with Paul about Murph. It's a dumb workout that only gives you extreme DOMs (pretty much ruins your week) and torn calluses. I have no guilt about skipping WODs like that.

I read the article. Pretty fair, really. I think most crossfitters with any sense think he's a bad representative for the sport.

Some of the info in that article is inaccurate or dated though. One that really stuck out was the attitude toward rhabdo. It's taken very seriously, and I've never seen victims referred to as pussies on the Crossfit forums. Honestly, there's a fair amount of Crossfit HQ bashing and the general perception I get of forum members is pretty sensible. The forums are also very strict and professional. They even go so far as to require your real name and address and it's verified with public records. I was actually initially denied a. Account due to this because I had just moved.

5/3/1 Journal

You got a good point- really, the top guys in ANY sport or discipline tend to be the most realistic about it- it's that second tier that takes the "anybody who doesn't do this, sucks" attitude.

Good folks and bad folks in any arena- same is true of powerlifting, triathlons, bodybuilding... any individual discipline that takes a certain level of insanity to excel in.

I agree the bashing of crossfit is stupid- I'm more about bashing individuals, personally. Still, I have to say, the idea that it produces the "fittest on earth" is where a lot of the irritation comes in from outside. I would argue no WOD is any more taxing than a brutal mountain century on a bike, an ultramarathon, or even a top level 5k. It's all what you put into it, what level you compete at, what your goals are. A lot of folks could benefit from adding some crossfit-style training into their routines, but for many others it's counterproductive (as is the vast majority of GPP). I remember doing Crossfit workouts years and years ago in San Diego with an ex-military friend of mine before "boxes" existed... they were ass kicking workouts, but those dudes were just as impressed with 600+ pound pulls as guys who could do a hundred pullups. That level of healthy respect for other disciplines got diluted for a while there.

Thankfully, we're all learning to get along.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Well put.

I guess Crossfit HQ feels they've created their own definition of fitness and have provided a VERY loosely-policed platform for anyone to have the opportunity to achieve their definition of "fittest". If that's the game, they have every right to do so. The only argument would be for another party to create their own and label it "fittest". I'm sure triathletes and the like take issue with that set of fitness standards (and rightfully so), but Crossfit has the right to do what they're doing and their reply will always be "the door is open to stake your claim in OUR realm).

The longer I'm in the Crossfit community the more I get annoyed with it, but I still love participating. But, I would do it in a non-Crossfit affiliated gym too if it focused in the same workouts.

And, I like my gym and the members and coaches.
    Last edited by Patz; 07-18-2012 at 01:56 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

I'll also add that I personally think an Ultra-Marathon runner is super impressive. That's just gotta be a pure example of mind over body. When I read Born to Run, I wanted to do one, then 10 minutes later I realized I would need to be insane and actually in-shape and changed my mind.

5/3/1 Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    I'll also add that I personally think an Ultra-Marathon runner is super impressive. That's just gotta be a pure example of mind over body. When I read Born to Run, I wanted to do one, then 10 minutes later I realized I would need to be insane and actually in-shape and changed my mind.
    Find a 50k and give it a try if you want to get your feet wet. It is only about 5 miles more than a standard marathon distance that "normal" people do all of the time.

5'7", 200lbs

435lbs / 413.3lbs
    325lbs / 286.6lbs
    565lbs / 551.1lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Yosh86 View Post
    Find a 50k and give it a try if you want to get your feet wet. It is only about 5 miles more than a standard marathon distance that "normal" people do all of the time.
    This. A 50k ain't that tough, honestly, especially if you do it an an ultra pace (10 minute miles).

What amazed me was watching the winner of the Umstead 100 miler this last year- a very hilly course, and the winner was maintaining a 6:40 pace the entire time- for around 12 hours. He slowed near the end, but... he was no rail either. The guy's been stationed in Afghanistan for years, apparently goes out and does 30 mile runs in the desert for fun. 5'7", 168 pounds or so. Lean. Blew me away watching him run, he was just smoking along the trail without even breaking a sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    ....Personally, I think there are far better ways to develop maximum strength, size, speed, and endurance without using crossfit, but that's another debate.
    Alex, you're always saying this. I, probably along with a lot of people, would like to know what you know! You need to write an article one of these days. A crossfitter's goal is to pretty much be you. Complete an Iron Man and total elite in a powerlifting meet. And you did it your way. Please share lol.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Alex, you're always saying this. I, probably along with a lot of people, would like to know what you know! You need to write an article one of these days. A crossfitter's goal is to pretty much be you. Complete an Iron Man and total elite in a powerlifting meet. And you did it your way. Please share lol.
    That's funny that you posted that because just several hours ago I sent a PM to ask Alex.V to elaborate on his ideas on better ways to do whatever.

5'7", 200lbs

435lbs / 413.3lbs
    325lbs / 286.6lbs
    565lbs / 551.1lbs

Wannabebig Member
    I gotta say that I LOVE Crossfit. In fact, I do more Metcons than anything else, but I also do a lot of Oly lifting. With that being said, so I think it is right for everyone? No. I strongly believe that noobs to fitness need a solid muscle base, and only doing Crossfit will not give them that; I think that adding in Oly lifting is a must for them.

The article does a good job of illustrating how many outsiders view Crossfit. I've run into a number of people who completely hate Crossfit, but have never done a single workout!

Mike