160kg/352lbs by me
    140kg/308lbs by a bloke in the gym
    then there's a chasm with the next one been;
    50kg/110lbs by a bloke in the gym
    various other even lower weights by blokes in the gym
    20kg/44lbs by a girl

1. Hardly anyone does dead lifts

2. Those who do, most don't even get near their own body weight

Which leads to the question - What is the typical weight that the typical guy and girl would dead lift? (as distinct from the sorts of weights that you guys/gals lift).

When I've started beginner weightlifters on deadlifts, I've seen them use anywhere from 115 to 225 for a few reps.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "F—k you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Wannabebig Member
    I would say a little over body weight for a few reps could be done without any training.

60-100kg
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Wannabebig Member
    Well, a girl that used to train with us (powerlifting) did 225 after just two or three weeks training. At a bodyweight of right around 130. I was pretty ****ing impressed by that.

My girlfriend did 185 her first time ever lifting weights, at 120 and no athletic background. I think people just don't try hard enough their first time.
    Last edited by noahfor123; 03-02-2008 at 09:56 AM.
    The Iron never lies to you. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go, but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds - a warm-up.

NOOOOOOOOOB
    some people have better cores than others, and deadlifts go up fast for novices,like me, i went from barely pulling 115 off the floor to a month later pulling 230 for 5.

My buddy added deads into his training and pulled 185x5 with decent form the very first time.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

I remember not very long at all after I first starting pulling back in about 8th grade I got 365. I was pretty damn big for an 8th grader... probably around 200 pounds and 5'7 or so.

I'd say the average male can't pull much over 225-250
    Average female is probably looking at about 95-135

Again these are averages, there are lots of examples on this forum of men and women pulling much heavier then these "averages"

Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    It's looking the general opinion for the average Joe/Jill is;
    Male: bodyweight to bodyweight + 25%
    Female: bodyweight - 25% to bodyweight

So everyone I see is either an under achiever or an over achiever.

first time i ever tried i got 315 @ around 150 and 6 feet tall, i have only put 100 pounds on that since. And gained some bodyweight

when I was 15 I pulled 315 second time deadlifting. but I'm kinda on the shorter side of life so my range of motion isn't all that great

i started off 95lb first time out @180lb bw. i introduced a buddy who was in the mid-high 200's bw who pulled 315lb first time out for 3 reps.

First time I tried deadlifting I warmed up and pulled a little over 315. BW~145. I was with another friend who weighed about the same, he pulled 315. And it's not like we had done much squatting, so we didn't have power from that - we had rarely squatted. I DON'T think it was abnormal or impressive. I think it's completely normal. Another friend of mine who doesn't lift and BW~180 pulled around 405. And a fat friend of mine who can't even bench 150lbs pulled 450 with relative ease. I DO think that there are a lot of really weak people out there that would bring the average down...people who can't even pull 225...BUT...there are also probably quite a few people who can pull over 405 without ever lifting.

^^ Those numbers sound well above average for some first time lifting. 2-2.5x your bodyweight is impressive any way you look at it.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

I think a lot of people here are an exception to the rule.

If you took your average schlub from the street and asked him to lift the weight with proper form i.e. a textbook deadlift I think a lot of people would fall short of 220lbs. Those who do manual labour as part of their profession obviously will be closer to the max but most office workers and the like I doubt could hold themselves in the correct position.

However if you mean how much weight could someone simply pick up off the floor with no regards to form or safety whatsoever? Then I think you will start to see higher numbers closer to 220lbs.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Sorry I also forgot to add that it depends again heavily on whether or not they are going for a "1RM" or say a set of 5.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    We have a hex-bar at my gym. Almost every 'jack/jill' wimps out and uses that.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Quote Originally Posted by noahfor123 View Post
    My girlfriend did 185 her first time ever lifting weights, at 120 and no athletic background. I think people just don't try hard enough their first time.
    I agree that most people are not - and shouldn't be - going for a max their first time. It's asking for trouble. Also, it takes time for most beginners to realize what a true "max effort" lift feels like. People are often far too easy on themselves because they don't know the meaning of true intensity.

I can say from observation and experience, though, that a typical untrained male trying to deadlift for the first time seems to average between 205-275lbs depending on size. For the average untrained female, more like 135-185 depending on size.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I can say from observation and experience, though, that a typical untrained male trying to deadlift for the first time seems to average between 205-275lbs depending on size. For the average untrained female, more like 135-185 depending on size.
    So that would put it something like
    Male: Bodyweight + 25% thru to Bodyweight + 50%
    Female: Bodyweight thru Bodyweight + 25%

The other day a female was doing sumo deadlifts without putting the bar down between reps, using a small fixed weight bar. At the end of the sets, she casually carried the bar back to the bar rack.

When I was first learning how to work out, I had no idea how much it was possible to deadlift, and nothing to compare it to. I remember thinking people benching 135 were strong because the plates were so big, so I started deadlifting with like 95 pounds. I just continued to add 5 pounds a week, for months. Then one day I decided to see how much I could do, and when the weight got into the 200s, I quit because I was afraid I would hurt myself. 200 was such a huge number.
    The Iron never lies to you. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go, but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds - a warm-up.

I lifted with a new kid about 3 weeks ago. He weighs about 135. He couldn't budge 185 in the deadlift...then I told him to stop being a pussy and pull harder because I KNOW he can do it...he tried again and got 10 reps. People don't realize that the bar wont just move right away...you have to build all of that tension before it moves...

Even deadlifters have to relearn this when they first try rack squats. lol.

My buddy did deadlifts with me the first time the other morning and he doesnt lift weights often but he wanted to that morning with me for some reason. Anyways i showed him how and he pulled 265 lbs for a single, i was impressed. hes about 170lbs ,very good genetics wide shoulders and everything i think if he wanted to he could become a big mother****er.
    weight: 155?
    height: 5'9"

-LONGER TERM GOALS-
    benchpress: 275x1
    military press: 160x1
    deadlift: 405x1

Well a bodybuilder (machine maniac) in my gym tried them once (conventional) and struggled through a set with 60kg. He's far more muscular than me, yet I can pull sumo nearly 2.5x my BW (though I do have proprtional huge glutes). I guess the genetic build of a person will effect the lift.

Theres a ton of variation.

Active untrained people will probably pull somewhat over body weight.

Unactive untrained people will probably pull significantly less than body weight.