The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

is crossFit a form of HIIT?

i want to change up my workout a bit for a few months and concentrate on cardio and fat loss.
    are they they same? crossFit and HIIT?

i'm going to assume that by doing a HIIT or crossfit workout, i'll be increasing my cardio capacity and as a by-result, be loosing fat too. is that right?

i'm really that much into running which seems to the target of most HIIT, whereas, crossfit seems also like a HIIT but for upper body. is that right?

any suggestions for a crossfit program without the kettle ball swings? i really don't like the motion of them, its seems dangerous and unnatural.

thanks
    H - 185cm (6'1") W - 85 kg (188 lbs) Age - 38

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Kb swings are fun..lol. it's just poppin the hips.

Crossfit can be anything you want because you can program your own workouts. Crossfit by definition is just "constantly varied" training, meaning.. Never do the same thing twice in a row.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

It can be HIIT if that is how you structure your workouts.
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Crossfit would only be HIIT if you took breaks to create the intervals; many of the workouts involve performing a given number of rounds or as many rounds/reps as possible within a given time period. You could easily restructure those type of workouts to make them HIIT and using Crossfit-type workouts as your general template would give you a lot of variation which is good.

With regard to the Kettlebells they should not be dangerous when performed correctly, but there are a lot of workouts that do not involve them.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by liquidmonkey View Post
    i want to change up my workout a bit for a few months and concentrate on cardio and fat loss.
    are they they same? crossFit and HIIT?

i'm going to assume that by doing a HIIT or crossfit workout, i'll be increasing my cardio capacity and as a by-result, be loosing fat too. is that right?

i'm really that much into running which seems to the target of most HIIT, whereas, crossfit seems also like a HIIT but for upper body. is that right?

any suggestions for a crossfit program without the kettle ball swings? i really don't like the motion of them, its seems dangerous and unnatural.

thanks
    HIIT and/or crossfit workouts are not the most effective way to increase your aerobic performance. If you want to increase cardiac stroke volume, improve lactic acid clearance, increase respiratory efficiency, etc. etc. there are much better ways to do it.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Alex and I will disagree on CF and aerobic capacity.

The short answer to the original question is no.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    HIIT and/or crossfit workouts are not the most effective way to increase your aerobic performance. If you want to increase cardiac stroke volume, improve lactic acid clearance, increase respiratory efficiency, etc. etc. there are much better ways to do it.
    care to explain........ just a little?
    H - 185cm (6'1") W - 85 kg (188 lbs) Age - 38

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Like 3-5 reps of 60-70% of your max every minute on the minute for 15:00 an a full body compound lift of your choice?

That seems to be the money maker in the crossfit world right now to increasing tactic acid clearance and stuff (insert big words here).

Like elwood said, crossfit is anything you want it to be.

You could do 5 rounds of thrusters and pull-ups, ten reps each, with 60-90 seconds rest in between.

You can do anything. But focusing on only upper body is not wise. If I did the above but with curls and bench press, that wouldn't even get me breathing hard. At all...

But, like Alex said, that's not the most efficient route to your goals. However, it is very fun and will improve your endurance, cardiovascular health, etc. Not the best way, but it is a good way to do it. Not many people have the time or patience to jog for an hour+.

Wannabebig Member
    You're somewhat correct. Crossfit, the benchmark WODs for example, tend to be more anaerobic then aerobic. However, if you follow the programing from Crossfit Main, they will throw in long runs and aerobic capacity work quite often. Also, sites such as Sealfit (my fav) have a LOT of aerobic work in them, as well as a shit ton of traditional Crossfit.

Mike