Thread: Looking for a new DE Lower Body lift (as opposed to snatch)

Wannabebig Member

Looking for a new DE Lower Body lift (as opposed to snatch)

Currently I've got snatch as one of my DE leg lifts but given my unfamiliarity with the form (and the fact that my little brother is lifting with me, who has less of an idea how to do it than I do) I'd like an alternative lift to take it's place. This is my current set-up:

Box Squat
    Snatch
    Deadlifts
    Stiff-legged Deadlifts

Any advice?

Edit- I should probably add that anything like a front squat or overhead press that requires the arms (primarily the elbow) to be bent in front of the body/bar are out of the question for me (injured elbow joint). Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by DravenCarey; 07-17-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Do you have access to a safety squat bar, buffalo bar, or giant cambered bar?

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Dr. Subtotal
    Why snatches in the first place? What are you specifically targeting with their use (unless you're a hybrid OL/PLer)?
    What %'s are those DLs after your DE squats?
    What do you need to target with your accessories (do you need to improve leverages, gain weight, target specific muscle or action like hip extension?)

Classic setup would be:
    DE Box Squat or a DE Squat (pendulum loading for 3-4 cycle, cycle different variations/accommodating resistances)
    DE Speed Pulls or DL variation for higher reps like SLDL or RDL
    Accessories for glutes, hams, quads, hips, and erectors (GHR, Back Ext,Rev Hyper, Leg Press, Bulgarian Squat, Hip Bridge, etc.)
    Abs

You could also use KB Snatches and other explosive movements after for GPP and you can incorporate a series of box jumps before lifting depending on your GPP level and need.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Do you have access to a safety squat bar, buffalo bar, or giant cambered bar?
    I do not.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodandThunder View Post
    Why snatches in the first place? What are you specifically targeting with their use (unless you're a hybrid OL/PLer)?
    What %'s are those DLs after your DE squats?
    What do you need to target with your accessories (do you need to improve leverages, gain weight, target specific muscle or action like hip extension?)

Classic setup would be:
    DE Box Squat or a DE Squat (pendulum loading for 3-4 cycle, cycle different variations/accommodating resistances)
    DE Speed Pulls or DL variation for higher reps like SLDL or RDL
    Accessories for glutes, hams, quads, hips, and erectors (GHR, Back Ext,Rev Hyper, Leg Press, Bulgarian Squat, Hip Bridge, etc.)
    Abs

You could also use KB Snatches and other explosive movements after for GPP and you can incorporate a series of box jumps before lifting depending on your GPP level and need.
    The snatches were origionally on there just for their explosive nature and to improve flexability (I used very little weight when doing it). I do my deadlifts at about 55% of my max (but that's about what I aim for on every DE lift). Not exactly sure what you mean with the last question about the accessories, so I don't really know how to answer that.

Dr. Subtotal
    Quote Originally Posted by DravenCarey View Post
    The snatches were origionally on there just for their explosive nature and to improve flexability (I used very little weight when doing it). I do my deadlifts at about 55% of my max (but that's about what I aim for on every DE lift). Not exactly sure what you mean with the last question about the accessories, so I don't really know how to answer that.
    I'll assume you're not a 8-900 lb puller but unless you have some lagging musculature, you should either select general assistance lifts for those muscle groups or ones that will target a specific weakness in leverage. I.E. Lifters with long arms will do lots of tricep work (extensions, pushdowns, CG work) to ensure a good lockout which is where they typically fail.

Everything should have a rhyme and a reason on Conjugate. Unless you're an OLer on the side and need the BB Snatch frequency, it's best to pick assistance work around the idea of what will make my big 3 better. Unless poor form snatches have been increasing your once stagnating squat/pull, I'd pick GHRs as a starting point for a substitute.

There are better ways to approach explosive nature (your speed work, pre/postworkout GPP work) and to improve flexibility (better warmup, stretching, SMR etc) within the scope of your current setup.

Wannabebig Member
    Everything should have a rhyme and a reason on Conjugate. Unless you're an OLer on the side and need the BB Snatch frequency, it's best to pick assistance work around the idea of what will make my big 3 better. Unless poor form snatches have been increasing your once stagnating squat/pull, I'd pick GHRs as a starting point for a substitute.

There are better ways to approach explosive nature (your speed work, pre/postworkout GPP work) and to improve flexibility (better warmup, stretching, SMR etc) within the scope of your current setup.
    First I'd like to say thanks for all the helpful advice. I think I'm getting a better idea of what you mean. Some questions I have are just arround abbreviations. What do these mean: GHRs, GPP, and SMR?

First I'd like to say thanks for all the helpful advice. I think I'm getting a better idea of what you mean. Some questions I have are just arround abbreviations. What do these mean: GHRs, GPP, and SMR?
    I can help with the abbreviations:

GPP = General Physical Preparedness (Conditioning Work)
    GHR = Glute-Ham Raise (Piece of Equipment)
    SMR = Self Myofascial Release (Type of Stretching)
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks a ton Tom.

Banned
    There are much better choices to increase/improve flexibility than Snatches. If you do them they should be the first exercise of the day.

Your program doesn't make sense. Why are you doing what you are doing? What are you trying to achieve?

Wannabebig Member
    Well my goal is to simply increase my total body strength. I'm a discus thrower with "weak" legs and I'm looking to remedy that along with increasing my upper body strength. If ya don't mind me asking, what doesn't make sense about the program?

Banned
    Well my goal is to simply increase my total body strength. I'm a discus thrower with "weak" legs and I'm looking to remedy that along with increasing my upper body strength. If ya don't mind me asking, what doesn't make sense about the program?
    It's your choice and placement of exercises. Why Box Squat? That doesn't make sense. Just squat. Again, If you really feel the need to do Snatches then do them 1st while you're fresh.

Snatch
    Squat
    Deadlift
    RDL's

i would google strength training for throwers to see if you can find a tried and true way to increase your power/strength. If you just want a basic strength program follow 5/3/1.

Dr. Subtotal
    OP google who Chad Wesley Smith is. He was a top thrower and a strong guy who does powerlifting too. His juggernaut system isn't bad either. Try to contact him.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    It's your choice and placement of exercises. Why Box Squat? That doesn't make sense. Just squat. Again, If you really feel the need to do Snatches then do them 1st while you're fresh.

Snatch
    Squat
    Deadlift
    RDL's

i would google strength training for throwers to see if you can find a tried and true way to increase your power/strength. If you just want a basic strength program follow 5/3/1.
    I'm definitely not married to the snatches (I really dont want them at all and have since the time of this posting replaced them with leg press until I've found something beter). I do the box squats for the explosive movement at the bottom of the squat. I've seen it in alot of other dynamic routines and it made good sense to include it. Also, what'd you mean by the placement of my exercises? Thanks.

OP google who Chad Wesley Smith is. He was a top thrower and a strong guy who does powerlifting too. His juggernaut system isn't bad either. Try to contact him.
    Thanks for the heads up.