Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Should I do arched benching?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    152

    Should I do arched benching?

    Title.

    I know that almost every PLer tryna move big weights arches his or he back quite a bit. What I want to know is if there are any benefits to doing this if you don't compete like me, and are there any risks?

    Also here's another question that I'd like answered please.

    Does working with triples for too more than 3 weeks leave you drained? I'm currently seeing good progress with 5 reps on a wide range of movements, but have been thinking about upping intensity and lowering volume for a while to stop this lactic acid feeling I've had after a few workouts now, and for the strength gains of course.


    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,017
    Quote Originally Posted by KJDANEXT0 View Post
    Title.

    I know that almost every PLer tryna move big weights arches his or he back quite a bit. What I want to know is if there are any benefits to doing this if you don't compete like me, and are there any risks?

    Also here's another question that I'd like answered please.

    Does working with triples for too more than 3 weeks leave you drained? I'm currently seeing good progress with 5 reps on a wide range of movements, but have been thinking about upping intensity and lowering volume for a while to stop this lactic acid feeling I've had after a few workouts now, and for the strength gains of course.


    Thanks.

    The benefit is more weight lifted. Isn't that everyone's goal lol.

    Triple are less taxing then higher sets for me.

    If fives are giving you progress why change it up?
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

    Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

    Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    The benefit is more weight lifted. Isn't that everyone's goal lol.

    Triple are less taxing then higher sets for me.

    If fives are giving you progress why change it up?
    1. Yeah, I'm aware of higher weight with arch, but does it offer any strength benefits over flat if I'm not competing?

    2. I think it's the same for me, but I hear that b/c triples are done at over 90% of 1rm that they become too taxing for the CNS after 3 weeks

    3. Yeah, that makes sense. I think I'll keep the triples as a nugget for when I stop making progress on the 5s.

    Thank you man.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    303
    I probably do it wrong, but when I arch my back, I lift far less weight. It's really uncomfortable, and I'd rather just use shitty form.

  5. #5
    illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    882
    No reason to arch if you don't care about how much weight you lift.... you should always tuck your shoulders back though.

    With that said.... if you don't care how much weight you lift why would you ever ask that on a powerlifting forum? That's ALL we care about so you'll probably get some pretty biased answers.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

    Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    No reason to arch if you don't care about how much weight you lift.... you should always tuck your shoulders back though.

    With that said.... if you don't care how much weight you lift why would you ever ask that on a powerlifting forum? That's ALL we care about so you'll probably get some pretty biased answers.

    I always keep the shoulders in and glued to the bench, no way will I ever bench off of a mushy back.

    As for weight lifted, yes I actually do care about how much I bench, but all I wanted to know is if there are any strength benefits if arching like a mountain on the bench.

    I don't think I can actually arch my back like most people do though. I tried doing it once and it just didn't happen.

  7. #7
    illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by KJDANEXT0 View Post
    1. Yeah, I'm aware of higher weight with arch, but does it offer any strength benefits over flat if I'm not competing?

    .

    like I said.... no. It's just a decreased range of motion like using boards. Between tucking my shoulders, blowing out my belly, and arching I can pull more than 6 inches off of my bench stroke. That's letting me press 50+ pounds more raw and who knows how much more in the shirt.
    Are the muscles really any stronger? No. I just lift more weight because of the technique, and because I'm a competitive power lifter that's all I care about.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

    Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Niko_El_Piko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by KJDANEXT0 View Post
    I don't think I can actually arch my back like most people do though. I tried doing it once and it just didn't happen.
    Yeah..... I tried to drive a 30 ton truck once, and couldn´t drive ir either.... I don´t think I can actually drive a truck like most truck drivers do.....

Similar Threads

  1. benching flat vs. arched
    By stik in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-22-2009, 11:46 PM
  2. GMs: Arched vs. Rounded back
    By Lockout in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-09-2008, 06:00 PM
  3. Arched back?
    By Steele in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-16-2006, 02:20 PM
  4. angle of arched back in squats
    By crud_meridian in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 09:39 AM
  5. arched back
    By noahfor123 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-22-2003, 10:37 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •