The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Deadlift form help - 505x1

I taped myself deadlifting for the first time this week. It looks like something is off with my form. I know I do a hitch to get the weight up at the end. It also looks like I am GMing a little in the middle. I'm pretty tall (6'4) so I think I'm not getting my hips low enough at the start.

Anyone have any pointers? Does it look like if I don't clean up my form that I'm going to hurt myself as I move towards 600 lbs?

Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    1st, it's a max, so it won't be perfect form. If it is, it's not a max.

1. Get your low back locked in better from the start
    2. Hammer your abs
    3. Hammer your upper back

Yeah its a max lift, although I think i could have gone maybe 10-15 lbs heavier. Thanks for the advice. I should probably video myself doing a lower weight to compare the difference in form.
    Stefan

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I'm built like you ( except with another 100lbs of fur and bloat) and the same height..... same long legs too.... so I could probably help here....

Long legs do make it hard to really keep your hips super low when you pull. When you squat down low your knees will just go over the bar, right?
    Starting with technique, Matt is right that you need to get your back tight before you pull. You looked okay setting up ( even though you stayed down there for eternity before you pulled) but then when you started to pull it all went to garbage. The rounded back is why you had a hard time finishing your pull. IF your back is tight it's just a matter of driving your hips forward and squeezing your glutes. For a conventional puller, the top should be the easy part. So, start tight.
    To keep your hips down(ish) you'll need to sit your butt WAY back to pull your knees back enough to clear them with the bar when you pull.... not as far as a Westside squat, but get your back tight, sit back on to your heels.... then preload the bar and look up. The pull from the floor should be almost all quad drive and leaning back. I'll try to link to a video of me pulling, not that I have it down perfect or that I'm any amazing deadlifter... but it's an example of conventional pulling when you are tall and long-legged.

That was the technique part of it... to build the weak points that caused the break down, like Matt said: hammer your abs and upper back. Pull without a belt for your lighter sets and really focus on squeezing your abs. Heavy rack pulls and pulls against bands will help your upper back. Narrow stance ( feet straight) leg press and some front squats will help your leg drive as well....

http://youtu.be/Zm6n1XcGELg - watch at 5:25 and 5:39 for the deadlifts.

either way, good luck.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

you probably wouldnt have to hitch it if you improved your starting position, granted its a max so it wont be pretty, but you will always most likely finish the way you start. (folded over)

Theres no point me repeating whats already been said though but yes, id say try and at least get those hips a little lower to pull your head and chest up a bit higher in turn and make the initial phase of the pull cleaner and easier by reducing the distance you have to pull.
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Only thing I will add is to dump the straps. Grip strength always comes in hand in real life. I remember in college when I couldnt pull 545 with out them and now my curent meet best is 755. Yhands will adjust. Get your whole body stronger and your pull will move up.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Thanks for all the great advice! I'll definitely work on staying tighter, keeping my chest up, and getting my hips down/back. As far as equipment, I do 5/3/1 and I do all sets with no straps except for my max set (5+, 3+, or 1+ set) each DL day. I've done up to 485x1 without straps. I actually just started using them a few months ago. I'm still trying to do the majority of my training without them, but I figured I don't plan on competing in a PL competition and my main goal with working out is to increase my maxes in DL, Squat, Bench. I started using a belt when I first got up to 405 lbs. Now I only use the belt when I go over 425. I'm trying to keep moving up the weight I use a belt at, but I still feel safer with it when I go really heavy.
    Last edited by SMK41; 08-24-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    Stefan

You dont need to compete in PL as a reason not to use straps. Ditch the straps and use a mixed grip and it will neutralise the bar. If you use straps you will be more inclined to drag/hitch it up your thighs and make things even harder. Straps change your form more than you think.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw