The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: TUT & ROM

TUT & ROM

How important is 'time under tension' and the ROM of exercises for muscular development?

I've always typically never considered this variable much, although im certainly not performing partial reps, I've noticed my squat could be a little lower (sort of power squatting opposed to "ass to grass"), along with a few other exercises. Would the 'decrease' in performance and weight in favour of a longer ROM be beneficial for my training, which is mainly targeted towards physique over performance?

I also tend to move weights from point A to point B? Am I getting to caught up in things or should I also be really concentrating on working the muscle on the eccentric and controlling the movement fully back up? Again I'm not waving the weight about like an idiot I'm just curious if it's something that should be considered in training.

Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Spartian; 07-30-2012 at 03:17 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig New Member
    i have always followed that you should aim towards most ROM possible for each rep but if you are trying to bust out a few extra ones at the end of a rep to really destroy your muscle there is nothing wrong with less ROM to give it that boost

Wannabebig New Member GeovanniGonzalz's Avatar
    TUT is very important, if you rest to long then your defeating the purpose of your workout (if your trying to build muscle).

As for ROM, it's best if you train each lift with the most ROM possible. This will ensure you stimulate most of the muscles muscle fiber's.
    Be sure to visit my site at... http://maxweights.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Using different ROM as well as speeds enables a wider range of muscle fibers to be used. In essence, gaining more functional strength.

What is your #1 training goal?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Firstly many thanks to for all the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    What is your #1 training goal?
    My goal to be clear is size.

From my training, which I described above, i've managed to get very strong relative to the size that I have. I was wondering if this was attributed to the above factors: TUT, ROM (although its not AWFUL) and rest periods. Should I be aware of all this?

Many thanks for all the input, very helpful stuff and much appreciated!

Ok, for that stated goal TUT is VERY important. ROM is also important, but not as much as you will note many of the very best bodybuilders have limited ROMs.

If hypertrophy is the #1 goal then controlled, moderate pace repetitions with an emphasis on "feeling" the contractions is important. Gaining strength within those parameters should be the goal. Rep ranges should be 8-20 depending upon the exercise and its sequence in the workout.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Ok, for that stated goal TUT is VERY important. ROM is also important, but not as much as you will note many of the very best bodybuilders have limited ROMs.

If hypertrophy is the #1 goal then controlled, moderate pace repetitions with an emphasis on "feeling" the contractions is important. Gaining strength within those parameters should be the goal. Rep ranges should be 8-20 depending upon the exercise and its sequence in the workout.
    Perfect, just what I was looking for. Thanks Chris!

To be clear, i assume moderate would be around 3 second eccentric, 1 second concentric?

Thanks!! This helps a lot

To be clear, i assume moderate would be around 3 second eccentric, 1 second concentric?
    It would vary depending on the exercise. For example you couldn't really compare a full depth squat and a shrug in this instance simply because of the difference in how far the weight is being moved.

Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    It would vary depending on the exercise. For example you couldn't really compare a full depth squat and a shrug in this instance simply because of the difference in how far the weight is being moved.
    Good point!

So in essence i should aim to 'work' the muscle fully by really focusing on the contractions rather than lifting heavy weights from A to B, keeping rest periods relatively low? 60ish seconds?

I think it is an interesting point for my development, as mentioned i've typically lifted as heavy as possible and kept rest periods quite long, disregarding a few of the other factors mentioned above. Although i've grown, I feel that I could have done more for my time lifting and I am comparatively very strong for my size. This might answer why?!

Thanks!