The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Advice on my new workout using Tri-Sets

Hello, My name is max and starting tomorrow I will be doing a tri-set workout to build muscle and strength. They're are still parts of my workout that I need help with constructing but here's what I have so far
    Sunday: CHest and Tri day
    BB Bench Press 3x8,
    Incline DB bench press 3x8,
    Pec Dec 3x8
    (these 3 a tri-set)
    Dips 3x10,
    Close Grip bench press 3x10,
    Overhead tricep Press 3x10
    (These three to be done as a triset)
    Monday: Back and Bicep Day
    I don't know a good way to make a triset out of this but I would like to include Deadlifts and Bent over Rows. This day doesn't have to necessarily be a tri-set.

Tuesday: Rest
    WEdnesday: Shoulders (Delts + Traps)
    upright rows 3x8-10
    Db Lat raise 3x8-10
    Military pRess 3x8-10
    (Tri Set to be done)
    Trap Bar deadlift 3x8
    Shrugs 3x8
    Sumo HIgh pull 3x8
    (Tri sets to be done)
    Thursday : Rest
    Friday: Legs
    I don't have a good leg day planned out yet, but I need to increase the size and strength of my leg muscles

I have to admit, I took a lot of the routine after a routine I found on confitdent.com, and after the routines I have listed their are "burnout" exercises to complete for maximum effort. I am open to comments about my sets, reps, and lift choices, as well as anything else.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member

Advice on my new workout using Tri-Sets

Hello, My name is max and starting tomorrow I will be doing a tri-set workout to build muscle and strength. They're are still parts of my workout that I need help with constructing but here's what I have so far
    Sunday: CHest and Tri day
    BB Bench Press 3x8,
    Incline DB bench press 3x8,
    Pec Dec 3x8
    (these 3 a tri-set)
    Dips 3x10,
    Close Grip bench press 3x10,
    Overhead tricep Press 3x10
    (These three to be done as a triset)
    Monday: Back and Bicep Day
    I don't know a good way to make a triset out of this but I would like to include Deadlifts and Bent over Rows. This day doesn't have to necessarily be a tri-set.

Tuesday: Rest
    WEdnesday: Shoulders (Delts + Traps)
    upright rows 3x8-10
    Db Lat raise 3x8-10
    Military pRess 3x8-10
    (Tri Set to be done)
    Trap Bar deadlift 3x8
    Shrugs 3x8
    Sumo HIgh pull 3x8
    (Tri sets to be done)
    Thursday : Rest
    Friday: Legs
    I don't have a good leg day planned out yet, but I need to increase the size and strength of my leg muscles

I have to admit, I took a lot of the routine after a routine I found on confitdent.com, and after the routines I have listed their are "burnout" exercises to complete for maximum effort. I am open to comments about my sets, reps, and lift choices, as well as anything else.

how long have you been training
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Wannabebig Member
    I've been working out for a little over a year with weights. However, it pains me to say that a large portion of this training was not done properly, with a diet plan, or with protein supplements. However, once i started doing HCT-12 over a month ago I was able to improve a lot of my lifts, specefically incline BB Press, Dips, Chin Ups, and Bent over BB rows.
    However though I was able to get stronger in these lifts from HCT-12, I would really want to increase the size of my muscles, as I am about 6ft tall and weigh 196.2 lbs with a lot of fat on my body (not nearly as much as I had on a year ago when I weighed 206 lbs and could bench 85lbs).
    I wasn't sure if tri-sets were enough of a workout so I posted this and was wondering maybe I should add this to my HCT-12 workouts at the end of it. But please I would really appreciate advice from a veteran.

Can you give us an idea of the weight you are moving? How bout age? I'm guessing your in high school?
    Last edited by tmor6; 07-30-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    6'1"/203 (down 12 pounds since 5/2012)
    B: 410
    S: 480
    D: 575
    2-mile run: 13:23

Banned
    Monday could include: deadlift, rows, weighted pull-ups and weighted hyper extensions (amazing for lower back. If your biceps are not SCREAMING by the end of your workout - add in a few sets of bicep curls or hammer curls.

If you're newer, a simpler routine would probably work better. If you're intermediate, a simpler routine would probably work better, too.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

So you've done hct-12 for just over a month (your 1st effective program) and your lifts have improved, yet you're unhappy with the lack of visible results?
    The answer isn't in another program it is in understanding that things take time and applying some patience. Anyone that's achieved anything will tell you that consistency is key. Train hard consistently and eat accordingly for 6 months, then see where you're at.
    Unlikely the response you wanted to hear but truth nonetheless; patience.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm sixteen years old.
    yesterday was my back and bicep day and this was my routine:
    Deadlift: 135x8 BB Row: 95x8 Seated Cable Row: 70x8 (One Tri-set)
    Deadlift: 135x8 BB Row: 95x8 Seated Cable Row: 80x8 (One Tri-set)
    Deadlift: 135x8 BB Row: 95x8 Seated Cable Row: 80x8 (One Tri-set)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DB Reverse Curl: 10x8 (weight is per hand)
    DB Hammer Curl:15x8
    EZ Curl: 30x8
    Tri-set of this above was completed three times followed by a burnout of DB curls with 10lbs each hand with one hundred reps.

Wannabebig Member
    so do you think I should keep on doing HCT-12? Because I would like to espiacally build my Traps and shoulders and Chest, so can I add those trisets to my workouts?

Perhaps my message wasn't clear. I'm not saying do HCT-12, I'm not recommending any particular routine. What I'm saying is pick one and stick with it for 6 months.
    You're one proper month in to your training career and thinking of changing a routine because you haven't seen significant size increases. After 1 month?!
    By adding those tri-sets how soon do you expect to see massive traps, shoulders and chest? 2 weeks, 4?

You want it all now, it's not going to happen like that.