The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 101
  1. #26
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    If someone goes to a certification class and passes the written test, how are they a dumbass? Most people that open up a CrossFit box already have been doing CrossFit for a while before they get their certs and open up a box, so I don't understand what you are talking about. I think you are just regurgitating crap you read on the internut.
    Well, what qualifies as a competent trainer is a subjective thing, I guess... It's not uncommon to see box owners/trainers that have very little experience training themselves or others... For those, it's tough to say that attending a cert and passing a written test is adequate.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  2. #27
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by DoUgL@S View Post
    Just because someone passes a test, does not mean they are in a position to train others. Don't drink the kool-aid. Doing crossfit for a while, does not equate to being a good trainer and having the ability to program effective workouts for high level athletes and everyday Joes. I fyou look through the posts at the crossfit boards, there seems to be plenty of affiliates complaining about this same issue. Just like there are quality coaches that choose to learn the crossfit methodology, there are a lot of people using the crossfit name just to make a buck. As an aside, doing crossfit does not prepare you to coach, neither does a weekend cert. It is your dedication to learning about training and being able to apply it in the real world effectively and safely that does. JMHO.
    Sorry, I don't drink kool-aid. I've been crossfitting since January of 2010 and I have been doing my own programming since November of 2011. I can tell you that doing my own programming is not as easy as it looks and I'm finally getting the hang of it after a few months of trial and error. I'm going to the level 1 cert this weekend and I'm pretty confident I could train some people. There are already 2 of my co-workers following my programming with great results.

    As far as other CrossFit trainers, most of them are very good. The ones that suck won't last too long.

  3. #28
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Well, what qualifies as a competent trainer is a subjective thing, I guess... It's not uncommon to see box owners/trainers that have very little experience training themselves or others... For those, it's tough to say that attending a cert and passing a written test is adequate.
    Early on, I know that there were people opening boxes with very little experience just because at the time there weren't too many CrossFit boxes around to train at. It isn't like that anymore.

  4. #29
    Who me? Chubrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    Early on, I know that there were people opening boxes with very little experience just because at the time there weren't too many CrossFit boxes around to train at. It isn't like that anymore.
    I disagree. HQ is churning out Level 1 certs just as fast as they can process their paypal account. My area has several CF boxes, and while I agree there are good ones out there, many more still continue to pop up that are run by individuals that simply don't know how to train. They make their money on name recognition and not on merit.

    The only concern of HQ is whether or not the individual can pass a multiple choice test prior to receiving their certification. As I said before, certified doesn't equal qualified. There are several ways they can improve their so called quality control, but until they do so, many will continue to take their affiliation process less seriously.

    Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

  5. #30
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    There are several ways they can improve their so called quality control, but until they do so, many will continue to take their affiliation process less seriously.
    I'm listening.

  6. #31
    Tap, Rack, Bacon ncsuLuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    Early on, I know that there were people opening boxes with very little experience just because at the time there weren't too many CrossFit boxes around to train at. It isn't like that anymore.
    And this is based on?
    6'1", 215lbs

    Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

  7. #32
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    And this is based on?
    Just from talking with trainers/friends that I know. The first crossfit programming that I followed, the guy was a marathon runner who went to the Level 1 Cert and opened up a box with very little to no experience (at that time, they didn't even have a test at the end of the cert). I notice a huge difference in his programming from when he first started to now.

  8. #33
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Workhorse View Post
    Chris, I don't think we know if that's true. We only know that Glassman offered her 17million over 5 years and Anthos offered her 20million in one payment upfront. I have not seen anywhere that Greg asked for a % of her shares, nor did Lauren say she wouldn't sell a % of her shares to him. However, she's signed an agreement with Anthos already and she's committed to them for ALL of her shares - the courts will decide if Anthos gets the shares for the 20million they offered. Right now there's nothing, unfortunately, that anyone can do to stop it other than doing what CFHQ asked and use social media to speak up about it and try to devalue CF should Anthos take over.

    I know you're at the Affiliate gathering right now in Montana by Greg's invitation, maybe you'll have more insight for us from being there?
    I think it is pretty clear she is not merely accepting a better offer (or trying to).


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  9. #34
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Agreed.

    Chris,
    No offense, but you aren't exactly impartial on any of this.
    No, but I know a LOT more than you do due to direct experience. I KNOW many of the people that put on the Level 1 certs. I will personally be going to one soon.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  10. #35
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,607
    Quote Originally Posted by DoUgL@S View Post
    Just because someone passes a test, does not mean they are in a position to train others. Don't drink the kool-aid. Doing crossfit for a while, does not equate to being a good trainer and having the ability to program effective workouts for high level athletes and everyday Joes. I fyou look through the posts at the crossfit boards, there seems to be plenty of affiliates complaining about this same issue. Just like there are quality coaches that choose to learn the crossfit methodology, there are a lot of people using the crossfit name just to make a buck. As an aside, doing crossfit does not prepare you to coach, neither does a weekend cert. It is your dedication to learning about training and being able to apply it in the real world effectively and safely that does. JMHO.
    Your point makes no sense.

    First, I have met many, many CrossFit affiliate owners and trainers. I have also met many, many trainers in other gyms. The average CrossFit owner/trainer knows more about proper training than the average trainer in most gyms.

    Next, CrossFit requires a quality course in order to open an affiliate. They then offer many other courses for continuing education. They do a good job. Tell me a fitness company that does a better job?


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  11. #36
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    I disagree. HQ is churning out Level 1 certs just as fast as they can process their paypal account. My area has several CF boxes, and while I agree there are good ones out there, many more still continue to pop up that are run by individuals that simply don't know how to train. They make their money on name recognition and not on merit.

    The only concern of HQ is whether or not the individual can pass a multiple choice test prior to receiving their certification. As I said before, certified doesn't equal qualified. There are several ways they can improve their so called quality control, but until they do so, many will continue to take their affiliation process less seriously.
    Why talk out of your ass? Do you personally know anyone at CrossFit HQ in order to make such a statement? Have you spoken with coach Glassman? Did he tell you that himself?

    You are wrong. As wrong as you can be. HQ absolutely cares about turning out a quality product.

    Fuck, I really hate it when someone who is ignorant makes definitive statements. It smacks of stupidity.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  12. #37
    El Jefe DoUgL@S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Your point makes no sense.

    First, I have met many, many CrossFit affiliate owners and trainers. I have also met many, many trainers in other gyms. The average CrossFit owner/trainer knows more about proper training than the average trainer in most gyms.

    Next, CrossFit requires a quality course in order to open an affiliate. They then offer many other courses for continuing education. They do a good job. Tell me a fitness company that does a better job?
    What exactly makes no sense. Maybe I rambled. A level 1 cert does not equate a good trainer, but there are good trainers with a level 1 cert. It is not the one weekend cert that guarantees that makes great trainers.

    To counter your point I have met many people a globo gyms that know more than some L1 certified crossfit coaches. You are fortunate to have been around quality crossfit coaches. I am sure most of them have much more knowledge and are using the cert as continuing education. There are still people with just the l1 cert as their only real education which are now "qualified" to coach. These are not mutually exclusive.

    I do not know of any other fitness company/chain that does a better job. I think crossfit is great, don't get me wrong. Most of the affiliates around me know their stuff.

    You have to admit though, that if I go take and pass the test, I probably will not be the best coach. I just don't have the background. Yet I could affiliate and run a "box". This needs to be addressed to make the community better.
    Last edited by DoUgL@S; 08-14-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Answer the question
    Move heavy weight, eat, sleep, repeat.
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.

  13. #38
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,607
    Quote Originally Posted by DoUgL@S View Post
    What exactly makes no sense. Maybe I rambled. A level 1 cert does not equate a good trainer, but there are good trainers with a level 1 cert. It is not the one weekend cert that guarantees that makes great trainers.

    To counter your point I have met many people a globo gyms that know more than some L1 certified crossfit coaches. You are fortunate to have been around quality crossfit coaches. I am sure most of them have much more knowledge and are using the cert as continuing education. There are still people with just the l1 cert as their only real education which are now "qualified" to coach. These are not mutually exclusive.
    There are better and worse people in EVERY endeavor. Your post did not make sense as it was pointing out, in a way that seemed to be an attack, or a negative light, that some CF trainers aren't the best. Well, no shit??? That is called humanity. What I can tell you is that on average from my VAST experience (especially compared to yours), on average, the CrossFit trainer knows more about PROPER training than most trainers.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  14. #39
    El Jefe DoUgL@S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    There are better and worse people in EVERY endeavor. Your post did not make sense as it was pointing out, in a way that seemed to be an attack, or a negative light, that some CF trainers aren't the best. Well, no shit??? That is called humanity. What I can tell you is that on average from my VAST experience (especially compared to yours), on average, the CrossFit trainer knows more about PROPER training than most trainers.
    My bad, not meant as an attack. I actually like CF.
    Last edited by DoUgL@S; 08-14-2012 at 12:12 AM.
    Move heavy weight, eat, sleep, repeat.
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.

  15. #40
    Who me? Chubrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,748
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Fuck, I really hate it when someone who is ignorant makes definitive statements. It smacks of stupidity.
    Fuck, I really hate when someone is so blinded by their next business opportunity that they're unwilling to accept criticism of the community they're going to be joining...

    Everything I've stated has been my opinion, and has read as such. I even stated early on that my dislike for the way HQ runs things would likely taint any opinion I might have on the subject. Not sure how I could preface my comments with anything more overt. Maybe a spoiler alert?

    I've personally seen HQ staff members tout their superior quality control. Anything less than a Level 1 cert is "dangerous". When you have affiliate owner's sleeping with members whose husbands are deployed, that's not quality control. When you have affiliate owners laying shirts on homeless guys for a photo op, that's not quality control. When you have boxes that still can't teach people how to properly squat, even after they've been open for several years, that's not quality control.

    Glassman created a very successful business model. I have no issue with that. I have no issue with the main driving force being the almighty dollar. Just be up front with it.


    And let me make this big before somebody accuses me of trying to pass my opinion as fact. THIS IS MY OPINION.

    Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

  16. #41
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Fuck, I really hate when someone is so blinded by their next business opportunity that they're unwilling to accept criticism of the community they're going to be joining...

    Everything I've stated has been my opinion, and has read as such. I even stated early on that my dislike for the way HQ runs things would likely taint any opinion I might have on the subject. Not sure how I could preface my comments with anything more overt. Maybe a spoiler alert?

    I've personally seen HQ staff members tout their superior quality control. Anything less than a Level 1 cert is "dangerous". When you have affiliate owner's sleeping with members whose husbands are deployed, that's not quality control. When you have affiliate owners laying shirts on homeless guys for a photo op, that's not quality control. When you have boxes that still can't teach people how to properly squat, even after they've been open for several years, that's not quality control.

    Glassman created a very successful business model. I have no issue with that. I have no issue with the main driving force being the almighty dollar. Just be up front with it.


    And let me make this big before somebody accuses me of trying to pass my opinion as fact. THIS IS MY OPINION.
    You are being totally ridiculous on this topic. First, how the fuck is HQ going to control an affiliate owner sleeping with someone? Lol, that is the dumbest thing I have EVER hear of. As for the homeless thing, lol again. That was one affiliate and the problem was dealt with. Doesn't the internet love to blow everything out of proportion? One fucking affiliate out of almost 4,500 doing something questionable seems like pretty good quality control to me...

    As for your accusation about me and my business, that has earned you a timeout. You have no idea what motivates me to do anything. You are not going to come into my house and say something like that. The balance of what you said is fine (albeit uninformed and stupid), but calling my integrity into question is not acceptable.

    You also have no idea what Mr. Glassman's motivations are. You are making assumptions based upon your own biases and experiences.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  17. #42
    Cardio bunny Alex.V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Duke
    Posts
    41
    Not to get involved in an argument, because I hate those, but...

    Nearly every certification, regardless of how prestigious, will have people obtaining it with zero skill involved. My USAT coaching certification requires a two day clinic and a written exam, and quite frankly... what else could they possibly require and still make it feasible for people to get? Good coaches are going to be good coaches, and for them the certification is a tool. Crap coaches will be crap coaches, but they can still study for a test. Quite frankly, unless the business owner/founder is willing to PERSONALLY interview and vet every single new coach, there are bound to be folks who slip through the cracks.

    But you can't invalidate the certification because the requirements to obtain it may seem slim- after all, horrible doctors can graduate from medical school, terrible lawyers have their JDs, and complete morons can obtain their MBAs.

    Neither here nor there in this argument, but just wanted to toss in my $0.02
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

  18. #43
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Not to get involved in an argument, because I hate those, but...

    Nearly every certification, regardless of how prestigious, will have people obtaining it with zero skill involved. My USAT coaching certification requires a two day clinic and a written exam, and quite frankly... what else could they possibly require and still make it feasible for people to get? Good coaches are going to be good coaches, and for them the certification is a tool. Crap coaches will be crap coaches, but they can still study for a test. Quite frankly, unless the business owner/founder is willing to PERSONALLY interview and vet every single new coach, there are bound to be folks who slip through the cracks.

    But you can't invalidate the certification because the requirements to obtain it may seem slim- after all, horrible doctors can graduate from medical school, terrible lawyers have their JDs, and complete morons can obtain their MBAs.

    Neither here nor there in this argument, but just wanted to toss in my $0.02
    I agree. In this particular case I think the company offers a good certification which can most definitely benefit the attendee. What people do with it and get from it is highly individualized. So, yes, like ANY such thing there will be good ones and not so good ones which come out of it. What people don't realize is that you can't regulate stupidity. No matter how good the training, how strenuous, how long etc. there will always be bad seeds that get through. Planning should not be for the exception, it should be for the general populous.

    Something naysayers don't realize is that the trainers at those Level 1 certs will gladly give out their contact information and answer questions after the fact etc.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  19. #44
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,645
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    No, but I know a LOT more than you do due to direct experience. I KNOW many of the people that put on the Level 1 certs. I will personally be going to one soon.
    Chris,

    The only point was that you are biased and your experience is working against you here. That's not a put down, just an observation. I know people that work with CF. I've worked w. people from CF. I've trained trainers from CF. In my experience, they were/are all very willing to learn and competent. I'm biased too, but not as invested as CFers or yourself - maybe that makes me more objective. Maybe not.

    Fwiw, I like a lot of things about CF - a lot of things. I've never met anyone from HQ, so I don't know them personally - I only have opinions formed by what they have said and done online. I don't think it's outrageous to say that they can come off as pretty defensive and unbending on some of the programming and quality issues. And there ARE programming and quality control issues - period. I don't know if it's better or worse than the general S&C/fitness trainer and gym populace, but among the general S&C/fitness trainer populace, they aren't doing AMRAP/'for time' OLs, plyos, gymnastic skills, or KB work either.

    JMO.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  20. #45
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Chris,

    The only point was that you are biased and your experience is working against you here. That's not a put down, just an observation. I know people that work with CF. I've worked w. people from CF. I've trained trainers from CF. In my experience, they were/are all very willing to learn and competent. I'm biased too, but not as invested as CFers or yourself - maybe that makes me more objective. Maybe not.

    Fwiw, I like a lot of things about CF - a lot of things. I've never met anyone from HQ, so I don't know them personally - I only have opinions formed by what they have said and done online. I don't think it's outrageous to say that they can come off as pretty defensive and unbending on some of the programming and quality issues. And there ARE programming and quality control issues - period. I don't know if it's better or worse than the general S&C/fitness trainer and gym populace, but among the general S&C/fitness trainer populace, they aren't doing AMRAP/'for time' OLs, plyos, gymnastic skills, or KB work either.

    JMO.
    I'm not going to stick up for Chris because he does a great job sticking up for himself, but Chris has been helping out crossfitters getting stronger for a very long time. I've learned a lot from Chris and so have many others. The one thing I've noticed about Chris is that he stands behind what he believes in. He is a big supporter of CrossFit just like he is a big supporter of Westside.

  21. #46
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    I'm not going to stick up for Chris because he does a great job sticking up for himself, but Chris has been helping out crossfitters getting stronger for a very long time. I've learned a lot from Chris and so have many others. The one thing I've noticed about Chris is that he stands behind what he believes in. He is a big supporter of CrossFit just like he is a big supporter of Westside.
    I don't think anything I've said is contrary at all to what you've just posted.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  22. #47
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Chris,

    The only point was that you are biased and your experience is working against you here. That's not a put down, just an observation. I know people that work with CF. I've worked w. people from CF. I've trained trainers from CF. In my experience, they were/are all very willing to learn and competent. I'm biased too, but not as invested as CFers or yourself - maybe that makes me more objective. Maybe not.

    Fwiw, I like a lot of things about CF - a lot of things. I've never met anyone from HQ, so I don't know them personally - I only have opinions formed by what they have said and done online. I don't think it's outrageous to say that they can come off as pretty defensive and unbending on some of the programming and quality issues. And there ARE programming and quality control issues - period. I don't know if it's better or worse than the general S&C/fitness trainer and gym populace, but among the general S&C/fitness trainer populace, they aren't doing AMRAP/'for time' OLs, plyos, gymnastic skills, or KB work either.

    JMO.
    Again, what business is perfect and has no sub-par trainers etc.??? NONE. So what is your point? The truth is that CrossFit has better quality control than most fitness related businesses. You, and others, are pointing out imperfection as though it only exists with CrossFit. Ok, CrossFit is not perfect. Gee, can you imagine?


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  23. #48
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    And there ARE programming and quality control issues - period. I don't know if it's better or worse than the general S&C/fitness trainer and gym populace, but among the general S&C/fitness trainer populace, they aren't doing AMRAP/'for time' OLs, plyos, gymnastic skills, or KB work either.

    JMO.
    They aren't?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZMBw3o768s WFS
    That video is at DeFranco training. A pretty well known name in the strength and conditioning industry and a person who continuously provides clients with results. Just a basic fat bar complex which is including hang power cleans. Would you say that is a similar metabolic conditioning type complex you might see in CrossFit? I think we could agree his technique and range of motion leaves a lot to be desired as well but I'm not ready to start screaming quality control.

  24. #49
    El Jefe DoUgL@S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Again, what business is perfect and has no sub-par trainers etc.??? NONE. So what is your point? The truth is that CrossFit has better quality control than most fitness related businesses. You, and others, are pointing out imperfection as though it only exists with CrossFit. Ok, CrossFit is not perfect. Gee, can you imagine?
    I can only speak for myself, so take this as MY opinion. Do not lump your feelings for what others have said influence your response to me.

    I never stated I wanted CrossFit to be perfect. We all got sidetracked with that argument, but my original post was this. I like CrossFit the exercise program, I really like that they are making this training available to all kinds of people. Any criticism I may have is independent of anything else, any other industry, because I think that CrossFit has so much potential reach a lot of people. Unlike bodybuilding and powerlifting that tends to attract a certain mentality and personality, CrossFit is now reaching the average Joe. It is unfair to the average Joe to walk in to a CrossFit facility with the assumption that they are going to get world class coaching/training. After all they expect to be exposed to "Elite Fitness." We as a community should strive to make it better.

    I know you are not telling me that a weekend certification alone will provide this, and I do not expect it to, but that is all some facilities will have. A person with a weekend cert that has been crossfitting for a while (the original post by Paul that I was responding to when you responded to my post).

    I want someone like you or Alex that used the cert as a continuing education, that knows his or her stuff. That is what we should shoot for. It will never be perfect, but I think CrossFit should aim to be better than the rest of the industry. JMHO.
    Move heavy weight, eat, sleep, repeat.
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.

  25. #50
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by DoUgL@S View Post
    ...CrossFit should aim to be better than the rest of the industry. JMHO.
    Who say's they aren't already trying to do that? They just recently received ANSI accreditation for the Level 1 Trainer course. The same ANSI accreditation held by the NSCA/CSCS. The Level 2 is currently unavailable as it's being restructured for accreditation, and includes both a written exam and practical evaluation. Multiple specialty courses are offered and coached by individuals with excellent credentials in their respective fields (Louie Simmons, Burgener, Rob Orlando who holds multiple North American records, Jeff Martone, Kelly Starrett etc). They offer a CrossFit journal which publishes new videos and articles every day. They have branch off sites such as mobilitywod with people like Kelly Starrett preaching proper movement patterns to prevent injury and dysfunction. More importantly, they are making the information easily available to anyone and everyone. In todays fitness world, who can say the same?

    It's a growing entity, which was only started in what, 1995? Refining things takes time, but it would be difficult to argue that they aren't constantly striving to improve the product.

Similar Threads

  1. How do YOU use your Crossfit ??
    By Patz in forum CrossFit
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-08-2011, 07:31 AM
  2. What is CrossFit?
    By betog22 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 11:16 PM
  3. Crossfit?
    By SteveW in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 11:02 PM
  4. Crossfit ?
    By markdk86 in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12-02-2006, 09:13 PM
  5. Crossfit
    By johnny123 in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 06:46 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •