It's been awhile since I've been on here, but I remember learning a TON from people here when I started competing in powerlifting (back in 2007). I'm hoping to document some of my training to possibly inspire others and push myself beyond my limits.

Some background info:

38 years old
5'9" 195lbs.
Feds: WNPF, WABDL, ADAU

At the start of the year in 2011, I weighed 235. My blood pressure was up and I felt sluggish at times, so I decided to start cutting some weight, slowly. I got down to 220 in summer, 2011, and did my first meet as a 220er in some time. By the end of 2011, I was at 205. I tried a bench-only meet for ADAU in early '12 at 198, but just missed (199.5). This was the first time I tried to cut for a meet, and it ended up being a great learning experience! Throughout the first part of 2012, I dropped about a pound a month, hitting the scales today at around 195.

My total has never been anything special, but I have always tried to push myself beyond my limits. I've had some serious injuries I've worked around, with both knees, wrist, and back. I compete mainly single-ply, but have always trained alone, and have loose gear, as I've always had to get it on myself. My meet totals for 242 were in the 1400-1450 range; at 220, they were 1400-1425; and at my most recent meet (198), competing with two injuries, it was 1350. (If I would have gotten my third deadlift of 550, it would have been 1400.)

I recently started training with some guys at Ryan Cellis' place for bench, and actually had on a tight shirt for the first time since I can remember. I got 405 x 1 to a one-board, so I'm hoping to build on that.

One of my "hobbies" is steel bending, and this doesn't always let me put 100% into my lifting. For instance, I had a case of moderate tennis elbow the past few months, and had trouble even bringing down the bar with 135 on bench. I wouldn't say the two pursuits are mutually exclusive, but I've let a lot on the table with each. Some of the things I've been involved with, with some degree of success have been short-steel bending, horseshoes, and mid/long-bar bending. I competed in the 2012 U.S. Steelbending Championships earlier this summer, which was my first competition. It was a blast, and well-worth all of the training that went into it!

I will try to keep this updated with my lifting and grip-work, as well as include some videos for hopes of getting some insight into technique I might be missing. My mid-term goal is to total 1500 at 198; I've come close to this in training, but have not been able to put it all together in one meet.