Thread: Weighted dips

Weighted dips

When should I do them in my chest workout? Right now I've been doing them last and by the time I'm finished with DB and Incline DB press my chest is fried and I can hardly do reps with bodyweight. Should I do them first?

I wouldn't do them first. You can't really do a decent warmup for them. The assist machines feel completely different, at least for me.

Try them second. Flat, dips, incline one week. Incline, dips, flat the next. That'd keep it a little more interesting too.

Fudo

Blue veined member !
    Hmmm.....around 14 weeks ago I finished my 2nd set of heavy dumbell press, walked over to the dip station , put a 30k dumbell between my calves and performed 2 sets of wide grip weighted dips.

The next day i had bad chest pains especially leaning over or taking deep breaths, and it turned out I had chostochondritis ( I`m assuming, as my doc or the hospital refused to do anything about it ), and havent been able to train chest for 14 weeks.. It hurts quite badly when I train still but I`m tired of waiting as it was still as painful last week as it was when I first did it. So I`m trying to work around it.

Last time I`ll do weighted dips..however they were my favourite excercise. Tips = Dont add too much weight, dont go too deep, dont do them last....just make sure you`re thoroughly warmed up before you do them.
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

Chostochondritis? Sure sounds more like a chronic thing than an acute injury.

You sure you didn't rupture one of your pecs? Sounds like that would be a totally different pain than your rib cartilage, but pec ruptures are weird pains too.

I'd ask another doctor. Or two.

Fudo

Trying to figure this out JohnCollins's Avatar
    Second that. Costochonditis shouldn't last 14 weeks. Two months maybe, but 14 weeks for a healthy guy who did lay off the chest workout? I'm no doctor nor a sports medicine expert, but at 14 weeks, I'd pretty much run for a second opinion (or third) on anything that bothered me that long.

Good luck!

JPC