Thread: Westside Method, just want to get it right

Westside Method, just want to get it right

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum although I have been stalking you guys for the last 3-4 months. I am currently doing a general cookie cutter (3x week full body) with added cardio and have made great gains in the last 6 months while losing 35 lbs. I have stalled on most lifts and would like to switch to westside. I am 23, have about 3-4 years of weightlifting experience, but just recently got back into it.

My questions/concerns

- Too much volume on a cut? I also run 1-2 a week (Normally Sprints)
    - I have done research but since I don't lift with anybody that trains the westside method, I just want to get it right.
    - Confused on some rep ranges
    - Switch ME every 2-3 weeks? Do I cycle 2-3 exercises for awhile then switch?

So I just want to give you my outline and would greatly appreciate it if someone would let me know if I'm on the right path.

DE bench
    -8x3 50% (speed!)
    - High rack pins/cgbp (4x5)??? Tricep intense day
    - Military... 3x8? In the template it did not say
    - Pullups 3x6-8?

ME Sq/DL

- ME Sq/DL
    - RDL/goodmornings (Low back and Hamstring) 3x8???
    - Side Bends 3x8

ME Bench

-ME Lift (Do you not normally use bench but board and floor presses?)
    - skull crushers 3x8
    - should raises 3x8
    - Row 3x8

DE Sq

- DE squat 10x2 (50,55,60% cycle)
    - RDL/Goodmornings (Thinking heavy this day light the other?)
    - weighted sit ups

I would also do a medium distance run and sprints on different days. Probably the medium jog the day after Max effort squat/DL day and sprints the day after Max bench to give enough time for healing?

Please tell me anything I would be doing wrong and what I could change to fix this. Also I would like to know of hamstring exercises that don't strain the lower back with just a bar.

I apologize for this being a well discussed topic. I have been wanting to try this for awhile and just want to know if i'm starting out right. Thanks in advance!

you are definitely grasping the main concepts and it seems you are along the correct lines, the first thing I would say though is it you need to adapt the programme/method to your major goal.

- Too much volume on a cut? I also run 1-2 a week (Normally Sprints)

This is a good point and I would say to adapt the programme/method to suit this. If you are recovering from you're weight training and or running properly from session to session, dont adjust anything. When recovery starts to slow start thinking about changing things such as number of assistance exercises or total volume although really it should not too much volume, joe de franco has his athletes running the conjugate method and they put up some awesome numbers in anything strength or endurance/speed based which reminds me to say check out some of his articles as he has written numerous things on how to include cardio/endurance/speed drills and the like. 4 day programme/ 3 day, you name it, hes wrote about it.

- I have done research but since I don't lift with anybody that trains the westside method, I just want to get it right.
    - Confused on some rep ranges

major movements eg. Your max effort main lifts will be heavy and lower reps. you can do typically 5 rep maxes, 3 rep maxes, two rep maxes and the usual single reps, being as you're new to the system I would say use 5's and 3's to begin with.

anything else- eg, supplemetary and accessory work, keep the reps and sets higher, 4x8,3x10 etc... just muscle building ranges, if you're goal is weight loss you could also superset these

- Switch ME every 2-3 weeks? Do I cycle 2-3 exercises for awhile then switch?

again this comes down to the lifter and how much experience you have or your major goals, once again being as you are new to this I would say switch every 2-3, with 3 probably being the favourable time frame. As an example you could cycle the movements like this:
    week 1- 5 rep max
    week 2- 3 rep max
    week 3- 1 rep max
    swtich

Yes pick a few exercises and keep track of your personal records and come back to them. There are plenty of ways you could go about this which is probably why its so confusing and difficult to take in to begin with, one of the simplest articles and explanations I have read is this one, and jim really breaks it down to bare bones so its easy to understand.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/we...te-469668.html

some of joe de franco's stuff and ranting on westside methods.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part1.html

http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part2.html

http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part3.html

they are also broken down pretty simply and even tells you what exercises you can pick from etc.

good luck and have fun, its a great system and I wish I stumbled across it sooner than I did
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Your accessory stuff is a little reversed on your DE and ME days.

Accessory should be heavy on ME day and light on DE day.

Also I'd add in more back work. Guys who neglect back work often end up with shoulder injuries.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

JLS - Thanks a lot, I appreciate the time you put into that post. I wasn't confused so much about max effort just the accessories. But your ME advice is very good to hear too!

Travis - Thank you as well, I will switch that around and give it a go. My back is my main focus (lagging slightly). Maybe DB rows and pull ups DE day and BB rows and Chins on ME? Instead of just one those days? Also go heavy on both RDL and goodmornings? I have very little experience with GMs So I will start light and add on the weight pretty fast.

Any other comments/advice is very welcome

Thank you both for your help and good luck to your goals!

Edit: BTW, My goals are size and strength. I weigh 190 and have about 10-15lbs left to cut
    Last edited by Sirtificate; 08-02-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Banned
    I would continue your 3-day full body plan and use 5/3/1 to track the progress of your main lifts. With a goal of cutting weight and getting in better shape powerlifting is not the best way to go about this. Keep it simple and hit it hard.

Workout 1
    -Squat 5/3/1
    -Press (any BB Pressing movement) 3x10
    -Horizontal or Vertical Pulling 5x10

Workout 2
    -Deadlift 5/3/1
    -Military Press 5/3/1
    -Pull-ups 50 total reps

Workout 3
    -Squat or Deadlift (variation if you want) 3x5-10
    -Bench 5/3/1
    -Rows (Bent Rows/DB Rows/T-Bar Rows) 5x10

You can do assistance work in superset fashion after the 3 main lifts to address weaknesses. I recommend doing them like this:

-Upper
    -Lower
    -Abs

and do 3-5 sets in the 10-15 range.

I thank you for the advice but i wouldn't think west side conflicks with my goals. I am interested in competing in 6 months or more if i can keep up the work. Running is more for getting to a 7 min mile which isn't saying much. I run a mid 7 now. Just wondering how westside isnt the best way to get there. Besides having to figure out a new routine that i assume i would use for years.

I differ with many becuase I like doing my higher intensity tri supplemental work on my DE day.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirtificate View Post
    I thank you for the advice but i wouldn't think west side conflicks with my goals. I am interested in competing in 6 months or more if i can keep up the work. Running is more for getting to a 7 min mile which isn't saying much. I run a mid 7 now. Just wondering how westside isnt the best way to get there. Besides having to figure out a new routine that i assume i would use for years.
    You want to compete in 6 months, yet you want to run a 7 minute mile? You can't serve 2 masters. But, I already know that you think you're on the right track, so have at it.

All I can tell you is that if you keep trying to do 2 different things you'll never reach either goal. Of that, I am 100% certain.

More like a ged in running and the masters in lifting. If my masters start to suffer i will quit going to ged classes

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirtificate View Post
    More like a ged in running and the masters in lifting. If my masters start to suffer i will quit going to ged classes
    You know more about this stuff than I.