Thread: streaky purple vision after lifting

life, one rep at a time

streaky purple vision after lifting

got up from my last set with 225 on bench for moderate reps seeing odd patterns like i had been staring into a light too long but they were more like purple/red squiggles than circles. got progressively worse for about a half hour then began to slowly regain vision over the course of 3 hours. It was plenty cause for concern as it reminded me off the symptoms my friend cheryl clodfelter had when she detached her retinas benching a few years ago and forced her to retire. needless to say i stopped there, for the following few hours i felt quite uncoordinated and my thoughts were really scrambled. its now been 4 hours and i'm starting to feel back to normal. hope it was just something with blood sugar (really doubt it) but it freaked me out a good bit on the inside. fingers are crossed it's nothing but a random occurrence.

anybody had any experiences like this at all or have any idea what it could be?
    Derek Wilcox
    181 class 935lb WR squat
    best meet lifts
    squat 935 bench 500 deadlift 700
    best totals 181 2050 198 2065

journal
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128030

I've blown blood vessels behind my eye before that gave me a royal headache and then a few days later the whole eye turns blood red, but nothing quite like that.

Have you had your blood pressure taken any time recently?

I assume you are headed to the eye doc?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Same as Travis, never experienced anything like that. Definitely time to get yourself to a doctor.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I've popped blood vessels in my eye and after missing a squat at the XPC my wife says that she saw a drop of blood drip down my face from my eye.....

I've also had messed up vision from max effort pulls and squats for a good 20 minutes.... blurry, seeing double etc....

Blood pressure is on the high side of the normal range.... it just happens.

As long as it goes back to normal by the time I need to drive home I've never worried about it....

BUT... all of that is from max weights in multi ply gear.... never from a light or raw set..... that's messed up.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Try a mouth piece. I used to have this issue. I kept the air in my face and not my gut when i benched. The mouth piece helped to push the air in my gut ans let it stay there.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

life, one rep at a time
    spoke with a friend with experience in the medical field and she said it sounded like a transient ischemic attack (whatever that is) similar to a mini stroke but no lasting effects. O2 to the brain gets cut off from the brain by high pressure over time. i did hold my breath more than normal on that set of 10 so it seems like the most likely thing. all symptoms have gone away completely and trained lightly today without any issue. may look into the mouth piece.

btw i did go check my blood pressure today and it was 125/75
    Last edited by gopostal42; 08-08-2012 at 10:58 PM.
    Derek Wilcox
    181 class 935lb WR squat
    best meet lifts
    squat 935 bench 500 deadlift 700
    best totals 181 2050 198 2065

journal
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128030

BP looks good from your post above. Check the mouth piece idea, adjust your breathing techniques accordingly, if the problem persists, please seek more medical help.
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Mouth piece might be a good idea. I used to wear one since I do the same thing Scot talked about. Holding all the air in my face as opposed to my belly.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Interesting topic, hope you take care of it. I can see how holding your breath in your face could be a bad thing. Filling your belly with air instead of your face is so much better on so many levels.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo