The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

In home machines - Bowflex?

Hey All,

I'm looking to pick up a machine for my home for days I just can't make it into the gym (gym is closed, work, ect...). I live in a small two bedroom - the wife has given me permission to take over the second. I was thinking something like a Bowflex, but I'm finding the max resistance for those types of machines is around 200. Anyone know of any machines out there that would give me a bit more weight to work with. Mainly looking to do compound movements.

Edit: Free weights are out of the question - I live on a 3rd floor and the ceilings/floors are pretty thin.
    6'1"/203 (down 12 pounds since 5/2012)
    B: 410
    S: 480
    D: 575
    2-mile run: 13:23

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You can add another 200lbs to most bowflexs. I have one and used it for a year. Didn't care for it and I'm back to free weights now.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by D-RAS03 View Post
    You can add another 200lbs to most bowflexs. I have one and used it for a year. Didn't care for it and I'm back to free weights now.
    What didn't you like? I'm hesitant because I'm sure I'll hate whatever I get compared a "real" gym. Care to share your experience?

Wannabebig New Member
    i never used a bowflex but i have used similar at home machines. i have never found them to be as good as free weights and one action specific machines but on days when you just cant make it to the gym they have their uses. id rather use a machine at home that works moderately well over not working out at all.

as far as the weight restrictions you might have to just alter your routine around a bit to do what you can within that weight range.

Quote Originally Posted by tmor6 View Post
    What didn't you like? I'm hesitant because I'm sure I'll hate whatever I get compared a "real" gym. Care to share your experience?
    One thing I hated was you never reached the full weight until you were fully extended. I know thats how resistant weight works but never felt like I got a solid workout. I know there's more I disliked about it but that's the only thing I can think of right now. For the price it's really not worth it. I know you said free weights are out but why not look into a workout station?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by D-RAS03 View Post
    I know you said free weights are out but why not look into a workout station?

Thanks bgb, too. D-RA: I just don't have any experience in this - do you have a workout station that you'd recommend - or anything that can point me in the right direction? As for your experience with the Bowflex, I had not considered how resistance bars (or whatever the call them) don't provide constant weight tension - that's a deal breaker for me as it would tick me off. Thanks for sharing - I would not have thought about that. You just saved me $400+pissed offness.

Quote Originally Posted by tmor6 View Post
    Thanks bgb, too. D-RA: I just don't have any experience in this - do you have a workout station that you'd recommend - or anything that can point me in the right direction? As for your experience with the Bowflex, I had not considered how resistance bars (or whatever the call them) don't provide constant weight tension - that's a deal breaker for me as it would tick me off. Thanks for sharing - I would not have thought about that. You just saved me $400+pissed offness.
    Sorry I don't use work stations but there are a lot out there. I used them in physical therapy and I know they have a lot in a smaller package than free weights. But I use a power rack with free weights so maybe someone else can recommend a station for ya. Good luck.