The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bodybuilder's Journal

Hello, my name is Drew Hass and I am a 21 year old bodybuilder. Currently I am getting ready for my first show. As of today, I am exactly 2 weeks out. Here is the workout that I did today. I trained legs and calves.

4/14/2012

Legs/Calves

Barbell stiff legged deadlifts -

1x12@385
    1x10@385
    1x8@385

Leg press –

Did a few warm-up sets then worked my way up to....
    1x10@7p
    1x10@8p
    1x10@9p
    1x10@10p
    1x9@11p

Hack squats -

1x12@335 dropped to 325x8 dropped to 295 - went to failure.

Smith machine lunges – 1 set of 12 reps on each leg.

1x20@160 - Didn't want to do this many reps but I wasn't sure how much weight to use for my first time doing these.

Seated leg curls – 2 sets of 12 reps.

1x12@187.5
    1x12@175

Seated calve raises –

1x10@4p
    1x10@4p
    1x10@3p
    1x10@3p
    1x10@3p
    1x10@2p

Cardio - 90 minutes walking on the treadmill at 3.0 MPH.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Expecting a huge impact with your first show!!

Will be great to see you get your name out there and receive some much deserved recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Expecting a huge impact with your first show!!

Will be great to see you get your name out there and receive some much deserved recognition.
    I'm happy to see that you found my journal Coke! I can't wait for the show and I can't believe it's so close. Time is flying!

4/15/12

Just did some Cardio today. 2 hours of walking on the treadmill at 3mph.

Chest - 9 sets & Shoulders – 7 sets: 4/16/2012

Incline dumbell press – Flexing hard at the top w/ 3 second descents

1x8@70
    1x8@80
    1x8@90
    1x8@100
    1x5@110
    1x5@110

Incline barbell press – Not locking out or touching chest. Going till I can't get 8 reps.

1x8@225
    1x8@235
    1x8@245
    1x8@255
    1x8@265
    1x8@275
    1x7@285
    1x5@295

Seated Machine Chest Press - 2 sets of 8 flexing hard for 2 seconds on lockout. On third set doing 4 second descents until failure

1x8@240
    1x8@230
    1x6@190 - 4 second descent

Dumbell bent over rear laterals– 2 sets of 25. 2 total work sets.

1x25@25
    1x25@25

Rear delt machine – 2 sets of 20 here. 2 second flex.

1x25@120 - Had to stop a few times to finish set
    1x25@90

6 Ways – 2 sets of 10

1x10@25
    1x10@20

Cage presses – 1 set of 8 reps. Flexing delts hard at the top

1x8@115

Cardio 120 minutes walking on the treadmill at 3mph

4/17/2012

60 minutes walking on the treadmill at 3mph fasted first thing in the morning.
    Later in the day did another 60 minutes and also did abs.

Serious stuff going on with the brisk 2 hour walks along with the heavy lifts.

Great seeing you on this journey Drew!

What show are you competing in? What class are you looking to compete in?
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Serious stuff going on with the brisk 2 hour walks along with the heavy lifts.

Great seeing you on this journey Drew!
    Thanks Coke. I greatly appreciate how much you support me. Your constant positive attitude helps build my confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    What show are you competing in? What class are you looking to compete in?
    I am competing in the NPC Fox Cities Showdown. I plan on coming in as a light heavy. However, it looks like it's going to be a struggle to make weight. I already knew from the beginning that getting to 198 was going to be tough and that I was going to have to sacrifice some muscle to get there. I probably could step on stage with pretty good conditioning as a heavyweight at about 210. I don't feel like that is a good class for me to be in since I don't want to step on stage as a heavyweight until my stage weight would be 220-225.

The lowest I have been so far during this prep was 208. Last night I started feeling very nauseous. After a few hours I began throwing up. I was up most of the night. I received a recommendation to drink as much Gatorade as possible as well as load up on oatmeal. I knew this was going to cause me to bloat up but I had to replenish all of the nutrients I had lost otherwise it probably would hinder my recovery. I believe that it was food poisoning. Today I weighed in at 215. So I only have 9 more days to get down to 198 and it's going to be extremely difficult. I increased my cardio to 3 hours for now to help get that bloat down and hopefully speed things up a bit. I was contemplating trying some higher intensity cardio but I have a very fast metabolism and I do much better with lower intensity. I might switch to higher intensity in a few days if I have to.

I am slightly worried about making weight but I am confident that I should have enough time to get down. The early weigh-in is April 27th at night. I plan on weighing in at 198 and then that will leave me the rest of the night and into the next day to load up on carbs and fill out for the show on Saturday. We will see how things go.

4/18/2012
    Back – 11 sets:

One arm dumbell rows - 3x8

1x12@100
    1x10@100
    1x8@105

Single handle pulldowns with underhand grip – 3x8

1x9@80
    1x8@80
    1x8@80

Dumbell Pullover – 2 sets of 12 reps. 2 total work sets.

1x18@90
    1x14@90 - Didn't use enough weight so I just kept going on reps.

Barbell shrugs – 2x10 with a 3 second flex at the top. After I felt I couldn't get any more reps I stopped holding at the top for 3 seconds and just did regular reps until they started getting too sloppy.

1x10@315
    1x10@315 drop with 225

Incline Hyper-Extension - 1 set to failure w/ a drop set

1xfail@35 drop w/ no weight to fail

I did a very quick circuit of pull-ups, seated rows, face pulls, and dumbbell rows. I didn't rest in between sets I just went from one exercise to the next.

Cardio 180 minutes on the treadmill walking at 3mph.

Workouts have been getting much quicker since I am so close to the show. I don't want to risk getting hurt so I haven't been using as much weight. I basically have just been trying to get a good pump.

As I stated in my last post I was 215 this morning. I plan on weighing myself everyday from here on out to see how it's going. I might have to make adjustments daily to make sure it keeps coming down.

There is so much involved in final contest prep, no doubt you have done your homework, good luck in making the desired weight in time. Just this aspect alone is key in this last stretch, along with the posing routine and what not.

Already looking forward to hearing about it all afterwards. Try not to get overanxious about it, best thing to do now is have as much fun as possible next weekend.

There is so much involved in final contest prep, no doubt you have done your homework, good luck in making the desired weight in time. Just this aspect alone is key in this last stretch, along with the posing routine and what not.

Already looking forward to hearing about it all afterwards. Try not to get overanxious about it, best thing to do now is have as much fun as possible next weekend.
    I agree with you Coke. The last 2 weeks is very critical. The mandatory poses are very important. In this show we aren't judged on our individual posing routines. I still feel that part is important as well because doing it well will show that you are a complete bodybuilder.

I'm not too overanxious yet but I am getting very excited. This has been my goal for a long time now. I also know I will have a ton of fun at the show. I will be able to hang out with a bunch of people that are just as crazy about working out as I am. I definitely look forward to that along with meeting new people. One thing that is very important to me is the fact that I will actually be able to call myself a "bodybuilder." A lot of people say that in order to actually be one you need to have competed at least once. I agree with them because competing is what keeps the sport growing.

Quote Originally Posted by drewhass_15 View Post
    I probably could step on stage with pretty good conditioning as a heavyweight at about 210. I don't feel like that is a good class for me to be in since I don't want to step on stage as a heavyweight until my stage weight would be 220-225.
    From my experience you shouldn't worry about not being at the top of the weightclass so much. With local BBing events for the NPC and INBF you really don't know who is going to show up.

I've always been the most undersized guy. One time I was at the top of the Middleweights, and then the next time I was 2 pounds from making the middles. I placed 3rd out of 5 or 6 guys each time. I wasn't mad at all either, because I placed where I should of given what everyone else looked like.

The first contest I was pretty shredded, 2nd contest I was much more smooth, but a bit bigger.

Someone can be at the top of the weight class but not be nearly as conditioned as they should be. A lot of local contests value conditioning much more than size.

I'd focus on the conditioning, but don't sacrifice being able to come in full. If you need to start carb-loading on Thursday, but it might mean you don't make the Light-Heavies I'd carb up to make the Heavies so you come in full as well as conditioned.

From my experience you shouldn't worry about not being at the top of the weightclass so much. With local BBing events for the NPC and INBF you really don't know who is going to show up.

I've always been the most undersized guy. One time I was at the top of the Middleweights, and then the next time I was 2 pounds from making the middles. I placed 3rd out of 5 or 6 guys each time. I wasn't mad at all either, because I placed where I should of given what everyone else looked like.

The first contest I was pretty shredded, 2nd contest I was much more smooth, but a bit bigger.

Someone can be at the top of the weight class but not be nearly as conditioned as they should be. A lot of local contests value conditioning much more than size.

I'd focus on the conditioning, but don't sacrifice being able to come in full. If you need to start carb-loading on Thursday, but it might mean you don't make the Light-Heavies I'd carb up to make the Heavies so you come in full as well as conditioned.
    I do agree with you that conditioning is the most important. That's part of the reason I want to suck down to the light heavies. If I suck down that far I should be as conditioned as possible as long as I don't over diet too much. We will see how it goes though. Thanks for the tips. It's good to see that someone who has competed several times before is viewing my journal.

4/19/2012
    Arms:
    V bar pushdowns – Rep scheme is 15, 12, 10, 8, and 6. 5 total work sets.

1x20@100
    1x12@110
    1x10@100
    1x8@100

Seated dip machine – 3x15

1x25@90
    1x20@80
    1x20@70

Dumbbell Skull crushers 3x15

1x12@25
    1x13@20
    1x20@15

Standing dumbell curls – 4 sets of 8 with a 3 second negative on each rep

1x8@30
    1x8@25
    1x8@25
    1x8@25

Preacher Machine Curls – 4 sets of 8. Squeezing for 2 seconds at the top

1x11@70
    1x8@70
    1x8@70
    1x8@70

EZ bar reverse curls – 3x25 only going up to 45 degrees

1x50@70
    1x25@90
    1x25@90

Cardio 180 Minutes walking on the treadmill at 3MPH

Weight was 211.6 in the morning.

4/20/12

No lifting today, just cardio and abs

Cardio 180 minutes on the treadmill walking at 3MPH.

Weight was down to 207.8 first thing in the morning. This is the lightest I have been throughout the prep. Tomorrow I will be one week out!

Good to see a new bber around here. Go read Allen Cress' journal about how chasing a weight class was a huge mistake in his last show.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Good to see a new bber around here. Go read Allen Cress' journal about how chasing a weight class was a huge mistake in his last show.
    I actually already read that. Thanks for letting me know though. It was interesting to read about. I woke up today and was 203.4. I am exactly one week out. Today I have to train legs for the last time before the show.

I also wanted to add that I believe Allen Cress was sacrificing a ton of muscle wasn't he? I believe his weight in the light heavies was somewhere around 190, but he was trying to suck down to 176. He also had to hold his weight all day long until the show that was at night time I believe. This left him with barely any time to carb up properly. I could be wrong but I'm not sure. I might end up regretting try to suck down to the light heavies but that is the route I feel would be the best for me right now. I might possibly regret it but if I end up failing because of it I don't have a problem with that. Failing in the past has helped me learn a ton and has also helped motivate me.

Quote Originally Posted by drewhass_15 View Post
    I woke up today and was 203.4. I am exactly one week out.
    That's gotta be pretty damn encouraging to see! Not far from it now.

What would your plan be on Friday if your weight is @ 198 or close to it? Do you have a few tricks you are comfortable with implementing, or would you say screw it and make sure you carb up right?

That's gotta be pretty damn encouraging to see! Not far from it now.

What would your plan be on Friday if your weight is @ 198 or close to it? Do you have a few tricks you are comfortable with implementing, or would you say screw it and make sure you carb up right?
    Right now I'm just taking it day by day. I think even if I wait till the Saturday weigh-in I will have plenty of time to carb up. We will see though. I know my weight was up a bit today from having some extra carbs yesterday. I plan on reweighing myself tomorrow. Also as far as training I am most likely only going to lift Monday and Tuesday. We will see though.

4/21/2012

Legs/Calves

Barbell stiff legged deadlifts -

1x14@405
    1x13@405
    1x12@415

Leg press –

Did a few warm-up sets then worked my way up to....
    1x10@7p
    1x10@8p
    1x10@9p
    1x10@10p
    1x9@11p

Smith machine lunges – 2 set of 12 reps on each leg.

1x15@185
    1x15@195

Seated leg curls

1x12@187.5
    1x12@175
    1x12@160
    1x12@145
    1x12@145 + 2 drop sets

Machine Sled

2 quick sets where I didn't lock out so I could keep constant tension

Cardio 180 Minutes
    Last edited by drewhass_15; 04-22-2012 at 08:12 PM.

4/22/12

Just did cardio today at 180 minutes. No lifting.

No reason why you can't make weigh-in at or under 198.

What you need now most is precision and timing with the carbo depletion by mid week and loading day of the show. Water manipulation is key as well, no doubt all of which you are well aware.
    Last edited by Coke; 04-22-2012 at 09:19 PM.

No reason why you can't make weigh-in at or under 198.

What you need now most is precision and timing with the carbo depletion by mid week and loading day of the show. Water manipulation is key as well, no doubt all of which you are well aware.
    I will be cutting sodium down starting Wednesday. Hopefully I can start carbing up on Thursday or Friday. I am going to have to play it by eye. My weight was 203 this morning. I think it will drop a few more pounds by Wednesday for sure since I won't be adding in any carbs like I did on Saturday.

Chest/Shoulders/Triceps 4/23/2012

Incline barbell press – Not locking out or touching chest. Going till I can't get 8 reps.

1x8@225
    1x8@235
    1x8@245
    1x8@255
    1x8@265
    1x8@275
    1x8@285
    1x6@295

Incline Barbell Press - 25, 20, 15, 10 drop w/6 then drop to fail (not locking out or touching chest)

1x25@225
    1x20@205
    1x15@175
    1x10@225 drop w/205x6 drop w/175 to fail

Seated Machine Chest Press - 2 sets of 8 flexing hard for 2 seconds on lockout. On third set doing 4 second descents until failure

1x8@230
    1x8@240
    1x6@190 - 4 second descent

Dumbell bent over rear laterals– 2 sets of 25. 2 total work sets.

1x25@25
    1x25@25

Rear delt machine – 2 sets of 20 here. 2 second flex.

1x25@110
    1x25@90

6 Ways – 2 sets of 10

1x10@25
    1x10@20

Cage presses – 1 set of 8 reps. Flexing delts hard at the top

1x8@115

V bar pushdowns – Rep scheme is 15, 12, 10, 8, and 6. 5 total work sets.

1x13@110
    1x10@90
    1x8@80
    1x8@60

Seated dip machine – 3x15

1x20@80
    1x13@80
    1x13@90

Dumbbell Skull crushers 3x15

1x17@20
    1x13@20
    1x15@15

Abs

Cardio 180 minutes walking on the treadmill at 3mph

I added Triceps into this workout. Tomorrow I will add in Biceps to the Back workout. Wednesday I plan on doing a whole upper body quick workout with about 1 or 2 sets per body part with high reps and very short rest periods.