The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Staying Motivated

Horrible at titles but whatever. Going to give a little back story. My best lifts are from when I was 17-18 with a 300 bench 370 Deadlift (I believe) and 380 squat at around 225.

Now that was 4 years ago and I quit lifting because I didn't have the dedication to work as a landscaper 10-12 a day and lift. Now I still work labor but am finding the time and its going great. Been lifting solid for the last 6 months or so and my lifts are now a 275 Bench 350 deadlift (havn't maxed lately and did this for 6 singles a month ago) and a weak 285 squat. I missed 340 on the squat but that was about 3 months ago. 275x5 was my last set and it was pretty damn easy. Squat normally jumps easy so i've been working on the deads more. But that will change. I now weigh 185 and cutting 5-10 more lbs.

Second week of westside and i'm loving the program so far. Please tell me anything I should tweak/doing wrong. People have mixed emotions about when they put the volume/intensity tricep work. I'm starting with intense on DE and volume on ME and will switch if it isn't working for me. All PR are since I got back into again because I don't feel like going through pages of lifts. And here it is

DE Bench:
    8x3 115 + 35-40 lb chains

Seated Military: Would like to do standing but my garage ceiling is too low... sucks Maybe try knealing?
    45x8
    95x8
    120x8
    130x8 +5 pr

Rack presses LV 8 on cage (upper arm is parallel to floor, my sticking point)
    115x5
    165x5
    195x5
    195+35-40lbs chains x5 +10 Pr and the chains but went light last time

Would like to do board presses instead but would like a partner to help spot so I'm doing these instead. Do you normally let weight just touch the rack or do you let the whole weight rest then press?

DB rows:
    20x8
    40x8
    60x8
    75x8 +5 PR

Good day for being hung over
    Last edited by Sirtificate; 08-09-2012 at 08:48 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wouldn't kneel haha. Just do them seated.

Doesn't seem like 4 years, I definitely remember you being one of the guys who were in my journal a lot.

Thanks Bako, I'm gonna stay with the seated. I was always had a little personal competition against you, its a compliment. I'm coming for that bench of yours so don't start slacking like I did!

Great seeing you back at it man, let's do this!

like your first day, you can do z presses or zydrunas presses. I have been doing them as of late and they are awesome

like that but obviously with a normal bar and for higher reps! just an option! as for the mixed emotions on tricep work, try both! see which way works best!
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Thank you coke and JLS. I read your comment about the Z presses but didn't see that video for some reason. I went and looked them up when I should have just waited! Thank you though. In a couple of weeks the seated mili's will stall and i'm going to switch to these. Thanks for the support!

Today I was trying to get a fire under my ass but the ME squat was a little dissapointing. On another note I need to stop drinking. I've been bud free for about a couple weeks and its hard to get to sleep :-/. Especially since i'm not working much right now.

ME Lower

Box squat (parallel): Chains~40lbs
    45x8
    135x3
    185x3
    225+chainsx3
    275+chainsx2 PR I guess

didn't use good judgment on what I could do. I stopped at 2 but barely made that. Was hoping to get 3 then go to 295 for 3. Since I was mad at myself I didn't want to stop squating. I went to closed stance squats, wasn't suppose to do these today but really liked them. Since I only squat heavy every other week do you think it would be alright to atleast try these out? the top of my squat is weak.

Closed Stance squats
    135x8
    185x8
    225x8

Goodmornings
    45x8
    95x8
    135x8
    145x8 +10 PR
    Not very advanced at these and still working on form... if you have pointers i'm all ears

DB side bends
    60x8
    60x8

Over all not a bad day for how I felt. The ME squats and the metal music blasting pissed me off a little and gave me a little energy.
    Last edited by Sirtificate; 08-11-2012 at 02:43 PM.

On the mark dude, that's the best we all can do.

Thanks coke. Next time i'm getting the 275 and chains for 3 and probably a set at 255 and chains as well. Only one way to fix your squat when you've been out of the squating game and thats to squat!

Ran A mile today as well. Didn't time it but my pace was pretty good especially for squating today.

good looking session, With your max effort movement as you said the judgement you got quite wrong but that will come all in good time and the longer you use the system the better you will get at knowing what youre capable of, take smaller jumps working up... you could have gone something like this (just for examples sake)

bar x lots
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    155 x 3
    175 x 3
    200 x 3
    225 x 3
    255 x 3
    275 x 3

15-20lb jumps, obviously it differs as you get stronger, for example someone working upto a 900lb box squat could take over 60lb jumps and still kick ass haha, heavy is relative but doing it that way you are getting more quality sets in and thats how you build muscle, re-inforce good technique and obv build strength. As for the close stance squats you could use them as a max effort exercise or use them for higher reps after like you did today! Last but not least with the good mornings think about pushing your hips back and legs straight as you can, dont just bend over, fire that ass backwards like a hinge and snap through at the top of the movement, will build loads of posterior strength! I know theres alot to take in there but I remember seeing you post about how to use westside so wanna help you out as much as possible, not being a critical dousche ha! good work bro! will be cool to see how you progress over time!
    Check out my training:

Those are heavy ass squats for being out of the game for so long.

Bako, coke and jls thanks for the support.

Jls - i really appreciate your help. Another good detailed post helping me a ton. I figure smaller jumps but i didn't t hink quite so much. I will do this and save the cs squats for a max lift atleast till i get the routine down. Thanks for the pointers on gms

I'm going to start taking videos for form critique if you guys don't mind. especially gms

ME Day today. Thought I did better on the jumps. Let me know if it could be better. I also took a page from Bako's journal for the ME day today... wide grip paused bench, I'm weak off the chest.

ME - Paused wide grip BP (Ring finger on ring, Is this about right?)
    45x10
    95x3
    135x3
    155x3
    175x3
    195x3
    205x3
    215x3 Have a video but i'm going to wait till my girl finds the cord to post it

Pullups (chins?) hands facing toward me forgive my ignorance
    +10 4x8

Skullcrushers (all weight is the weight added to a curl bar)
    C.B. x 8
    35x8
    55x8

Lying Rear delt flies (Rear delts are a big weak point of mine)

5's x 10
    10's x 10
    10's x 10

I thought today went pretty swell. Finally curbing my drinking a bit which is giving me a lot more energy.
    Last edited by Sirtificate; 08-13-2012 at 04:47 PM.

jumps are ten times better there! thats how to build some strength conjugate/WS Style! nice looking day for sure, all bases covered!
    Check out my training:

Doing well man, workout is solid.

Thanks guys! Love the help.

Today I ran with a buddy. Just 5 Hard sprints (100M) then a jog the straights walk the corners deal for a mile. I won all the sprints :-) I'm pretty surprised at how my recent weight loss has helped with my speed and vertical jump. I'm Damn close to touching rim on a 10' hoop and i've never been able to. And i've never beat this kid in a race in my life either.

DE squats
    135+chains 10x2

RDL-D.O. grip
    95x8
    140x8
    170x8
    190x8

Hanging leg raises
    3x8
    - Why did I feel a weird stretch/pop in my lower back? It didn't hurt at all and I don't believe I injured myself. It felt like something was moving. The RDL's were done with good form and it really isn't that heavy right now. Just scary because I had a couple bad lower back injuries when I was younger not lifting weights... just lifting heavy stuff wrong. I'm probably just going to switch this out for something

BB Curls for the girls
    55x8
    85x8

Good day overall I thought. Speed on the squats was pretty good

Edit: Can I get advice on a foam roller? Are the $15-20 ones from walmart/dicks ok? I'm pretty broke so I really can't afford one more than that.
    Last edited by Sirtificate; 08-15-2012 at 03:23 PM.

nice work dude, wouldnt sweat the leg raises, probably just scar tissue, theyre actually pretty good for stretching out your lower back I find. Foam roller is a foam roller! they all do the same thing, people use bits of PVC pipe ha!
    Check out my training:

Awesome day with the running, fine workout as well bro.
    Last edited by Coke; 08-15-2012 at 04:07 PM.

JLS - Thanks for reading and thanks for always answering my questions. I thought all foam rollers were created equal (I know not equal I notice there are different kinds) but I didn't want to buy one and find it junk.

Coke - Thanks Bro!
    Last edited by Sirtificate; 08-15-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Good work! I have two GoFit foam rollers (red). It's decent and has really helped iron some things out. The first one I got warped a little from me storing it in a cool/damp basement. Bought the same exact one and haven't had a problem like that with it since.
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!

Thanks Buccos, when I get one i'll make sure to keep it in my room. Thanks for stopping by.

DE bench
    8x3 115 +chains

Military
    45x8
    95x8
    120x8
    135x6 I'm a slacker, I'll get it next time for 8

Pin presses
    115x5
    165x5
    205+1chainx5
    215+2chainsx4

DB Rows
    20x8
    40x8
    60x8
    70x8
    80x8 PR

Pretty good day for once again, being hung over and not having much energy.

Dang dude, never would guess you're just getting back Into it. Strong millies.

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Putting up some decent numbers in here mate!
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Dang dude, never would guess you're just getting back Into it. Strong millies.
    Thanks Bako. I worked a job where I carried a lot big ladders and walking planks and i think that really helped me keep my strength. I Wish the mili's were higher but thanks!

Kong - Thanks brother, love the encouragement!

Today was sprinting in the rain! haha
    Just a warm up and then 6 x 100 and warm down. Really trying to practice on form. Maybe somebody more knowledge able can give me pointers or info to read?

Here is that video I promised of the ME Wide grip paused. The pause seemed longer when your holding the weight. I think I need a longer pause. Seemed a little too easy as well. Should've gone to two plates but I have never benched that wide and got a little nervous.

http://youtu.be/w7INxeQOdNM 215x3

Edit: sorry about the waste of time before and after the video. I am not used to Apple computers, i'll have my girlfriend show me how to edit for tomorrow's ME Rack pulls.

Any comments and pointers on form are very welcome! Just don't make fun of my twig arms!
    Last edited by Sirtificate; 08-18-2012 at 03:40 PM.