Thread: Seated Over Head Press Question

Seated Over Head Press Question

Alright.

I'm still new to strength training. When I first began a few months ago I ran(or tried to run) Starting Strength.

Long story short, I changed the program over and over, and have now realized that I never gave OHPs a proper chance. Last week I did a session or two with some SOHPs to see where I was at, and it turns out I'm still able to make session to session progress with this excercise.

This has go me thinking of training for a few weeks with SOHPs and bring my numbers up a bit as they're not great. I think this would benefit me as the only sort of work my shoulders get are 45 Degree incline BB benchpresses.

So I'd like to hear what you guys think about this. My 2 ideas are to this:

1. Do SOHPs 3 times per week, M,W,F for about two weeks to bring numbers up, then go back to flat bench for one or two weeks and keep alternating until I've milked the Linear Progression on SOHP.

2. Do SOHPs 2 times per week, M, F with flat bench in between to keep my flat bench numbers of the rise.

I'd like to hear opinions on both idea please, and if anyone's wondering, no I'm not on a well known program. I train my own way. I know, I know...I'm not Rip or anyone like that, but I do know what I'm doing right now and have my goals set. Making progress on all lifts too, so I think I'll be ok.

Thanks for reading.

-KJ

no way would i hit shoulders more than once a week. your shoulders are getting hit on chest and back day.. should do ohp once a week and make progress on it
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

Quote Originally Posted by tcooper View Post
    no way would i hit shoulders more than once a week. your shoulders are getting hit on chest and back day.. should do ohp once a week and make progress on it

Forgot to mention 1 important thing;

I do full body workouts, not splits.

Quote Originally Posted by KJDANEXT0 View Post
    Forgot to mention 1 important thing;

I do full body workouts, not splits.
    this makes no difference, you dont need to be training such a small muscle/muscle group that many times per week hard. Shoulders get hit in every single press, stabilising the bar for squats etc... Just milk them for the gains once a week and if you want any extra shoulder work do it with front/side raises etc.

I'd take option two if it were me but rotate it so you were benching mon, friday and overhead pressing on the wednesday inbetween OR even better would be to use the seated OHP as a secondary barbell movement after benching on the monday or friday and use the lighter isolation exercises for shoulders on wed
    Last edited by J L S; 09-15-2012 at 05:54 AM.
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

I see an injury in your future. I would bag the seated press. It's is mostly an incline when weights get heavy. Do ohp once a week with a 531 type format . You will improve.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Thanks for the advice guys.

J L S I'm gonna do what you recommend and OHP on Wednesdays in between bench days. I do alot of inclines at 45 degrees so I suppose my shoulders are getting worked quite abit already.

I don't want to muddy things up yet by including any isolation for the shoulders right now. I'm not lifting enough weight to worry about that for now, but I'll remember this for when I need it.

Thanks again both of you.

Rip is nothing beyond a basics strength coach in my opinion and Starting Strength is nothing to get excited about.

If you were to press 3X per week, what would each session look like?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I'm not a super experienced lifter (around 5 years, but only like 1 serious year), but I'd only do shoulder 1 day a week. You'll snap up all your joints and tear up all your ligaments if you try and do heavy shoulders 3 times a week.

Just my OPINION. You can do whatever you want <<<<----Best piece of advice I'll give. If it works for you, do it. If it doesn't, don't.
    Last edited by Falcon63; 09-16-2012 at 06:46 AM.