Thread: 2X or 1X per week

Wannabebig Member

2X or 1X per week

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum but I've there seems to be lot of knowledgable ppl here. I`ve been working out for about 6 months. The first 3 months, I worked out each upper body part 2X per week. For example, Monday and Thursday I did Chest, Shoulders and Tri`s. Tuesday and Friday I did Back and Bi`s. Wednesday is leg day. The weekend I rest. Then I heard about overtraining so I cut back and only did one body part per week for the last 3 months. I ve noticed I got bigger gains from working out each body part 2X per week. How much is this due to the fact that I'm new to weight training and that my body is merely finally getting used to the workout ? I would figure my gains would slow down only after about 6 months are so. Should I just stick to "whatever works?" My stats are 22 y/o, 5'9 150lbs, ectomorph body type.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Its probably because you're new. I noticed good gains working out like Arnold taught us, but the gains quickly waned.

I'd say stick to whatever works, but if you work out with intensity and eat right, you will gain, but if you were to do it a different way, you will gain a lot faster. Plus its easier to overtrain when you work each part 2x a week.

Always continue what works. If you are adding reps or weight you are providing the correct stimulus.

Just because you heard about overtraining doesn't mean that you were overtraining.

I started with about 3 days a week, all upper body, heavy as I could lift. Worked great till I got "serious" and added even more days. No improvements at all. Working out more often seems to work great for beginers.

Your gains surely slow down as you go, but they should be pretty decent and consistent for the first 6 mo's.

Couldn't even guess a suggestion without seeing your workout. Let us have it......

Fudo

Wannabebig Member
    Chest, Shoulder, Tricep Day: BP 3X6-8
    incline BP 2X6-8
    Seated Fly 3X8-10
    Smith shoulder press 3X8
    Lever lateral raise 3X8
    DB front raises 3X10
    Skullcrushers 3X10-12
    Cable Pushdown 3X6-8

Back and Bicep Day: Seated Machine Rows 3X8
    Seated High Rows 3X8
    Lat Pull downs 3X6-8
    Shrugs 2X10
    DB curl 3X6-8
    BB curl 3x6-8
    DB Hammer curl 3X8

Leg Day: Smith Squats 3X6-8
    Standing calf raises 3X10-12

It doesn't seem like you do enough with your shulders. Where are the shrugs, Arnold presses, ect. I have a day for my shoulders.

That looks pretty decent for 6 months out. You should be fine with 3 days a week. I'd probably just raise the weight. You should be failing between 4 and 6 reps.

I do that workout, and my shoulders are fried.

I do tri's and bi's first on those workouts. You aren't yet tired, and can really overload them. 12 sets may make them tire, but you need the overload.

Hope that helps.
    Fudo

Banned
    Originally posted by stantheman
    It doesn't seem like you do enough with your shulders. Where are the shrugs, Arnold presses, ect. I have a day for my shoulders.
    What are you talking about? He's got 9 sets of shoulder exercises in there. Shoulders are a minor muscle group. There's no way they need 9 sets, never mind him adding more. The guy just started working out, the last thing he needs is poor advice.

Wow, nobody seemed to noticed the utter lack of hamstring exercises. I would suggest you include something to hit your hammies otherwise you are setting yourself up for injury down the road. Try either stiff-legged deadlifts or some form of hamstring curl at least.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I don’t personally consider shoulders a minor muscle group. He includes shoulder exercises on both days. Maybe he could take these out of his regular routine and concentrate on them for a day. I have a different idea of an optimal routine. Just because it differs from yours Fudomyo, does not mean that it is “poor advice”.