Thread: preworkout carbs

preworkout carbs

What would be a good preworkout carb meal??

The Bottom Line
    Oatmeal?
    Change is good.

I like oatmeal if cutting and dextrose if bulking.
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

A good preworkout carb source

Okay if by preworkout you mean with the hour before the workout then I suggest the following things (1st is best, and 2nd is not as good as 1 and so on)

1. A milkshake (Banana, Instant Breakfast, Milk, Icecream)
    Reason - high carb (sugars mainly) in a liquid form will be digested more rapidly giving you a good energy source for your workout

2. A bowl of cereal (Vector, Raisin Bran, etc. Anything REASONABLY healthy)
    Reason - high carbs (less sugar than choice 1) will still be digested fairly rapidly and most cereal is high GI which isn't a bad thing pre and post workout

3. Potatoes/Yams/Whole Wheat Bread/Pasta/etc.
    Reason - I wouldn't go with any of these as a first choice obviously but carbs before a workout are crucial so if you must go with one of these options. They'll all take longer to digest than options 1 and 2.

Oatmeal was mentioned and I although I can't say enough good things about oatmeal as a preworkout carb source I'd have to disagree. Oatmeal (if we are referring to plain 5 minute oats) is about 20g carbs per serving and its a soluable fibre so it isnt your best choice for a carb source when you want energy to fuel your workout. Personally I find oatmeal versatile and useful for both cutting and bulking diets but not useful for preworkout/postworkout situations.

Banned
    G-dot, if you're saying that a high glycemic liquid is what you're after then why not just have a sports drink like Gatorade or Powerade or something?
    I must also say that g-dot's recommendations apply only to hardgainers as anyone with a slow to normal metabolism should not consume high glycemic carbs other than directly post-workout.
    In addition, these sugary carbs give you only a quick boost of energy before making you feel lethargic, so if this is your choice for pre-workout it better be right before the workout. I would prefer to go with a slower-releasing energy source such as oatmeal or brown rice.

Banned
    In actuality, the pre-workout meal affects the workout very little. Your body is still using the food it digested many hours before as its main source of energy for the workout.

Blue veined member !

Re: A good preworkout carb source

Originally posted by g-dot
    Okay if by preworkout you mean with the hour before the workout then I suggest the following things (1st is best, and 2nd is not as good as 1 and so on)

1. A milkshake (Banana, Instant Breakfast, Milk, Icecream)
    Reason - high carb (sugars mainly) in a liquid form will be digested more rapidly giving you a good energy source for your workout

2. A bowl of cereal (Vector, Raisin Bran, etc. Anything REASONABLY healthy)
    Reason - high carbs (less sugar than choice 1) will still be digested fairly rapidly and most cereal is high GI which isn't a bad thing pre and post workout

3. Potatoes/Yams/Whole Wheat Bread/Pasta/etc.
    Reason - I wouldn't go with any of these as a first choice obviously but carbs before a workout are crucial so if you must go with one of these options. They'll all take longer to digest than options 1 and 2.

Oatmeal was mentioned and I although I can't say enough good things about oatmeal as a preworkout carb source I'd have to disagree. Oatmeal (if we are referring to plain 5 minute oats) is about 20g carbs per serving and its a soluable fibre so it isnt your best choice for a carb source when you want energy to fuel your workout. Personally I find oatmeal versatile and useful for both cutting and bulking diets but not useful for preworkout/postworkout situations.
    Bullsh!t. In order 3, 2 ,1. Ok lets all eat a mars bar and 25 sugar lumps an hour before we work out!! No you want a sustained energy release throughout the workout therefore oatmeal, wholewheat bread, pasta etc...would be first choice.
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

Hellrazor - The purpose of the preworkout meal is to get the boost from the carbohydrates which you can only get from such high GI foods that elevate blood sugar levels. Eating oatmeal 30-60 minutes isnt going to make any noticeable impact on your workout period. Eating low GI carbs and considering it a preworkout meal is pointless, I'm referring to a preworkout meal affecting your performance in the workout. High GI will affect your blood sugar levels in the short term which would be beneficial to a workout. Low GI carbs taken preworkout (30-60 min prior) won't be your source of energy for the workout anyway it would be food you consumed earlier which is ready to be used for the body for energy.

The only reason to have a specific pre workout meal is if you plan to consume high GI carbs. If you don't its just another meal and you won't get any added benefits.

Blue veined member !
    G - dot in your post you actually stated that it`s best an hour before, I disagree..( but I may be wrong ). Wouldnt the elevation of blood sugar be over after an hour ??????? I`d have thought so.

I`d have thought a better way of doing what you`re trying to say would be to sip a water/high gi carb mix throughout the workout to keep glycogen stores topped up, therefore increasing the time it takes for the muscle to fatigue? !!!!

Oh well I`m probably wrong lol
    Last edited by Hellrazor; 06-19-2002 at 10:25 AM.
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur