The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Can I bulk up using 5 or less reps?

Don't know shit about bulking or just trying to get bigger. Never tried it. I don't eat enough and it's just never crossed my mind until yesterday.

I train with the goal to maximize strength, but I am aware that you need to get bigger to keep getting stronger. I just don't know how.

I've decided that when I exaust my strength gains at 165+ lbs that I'll bulk up to keep making progress, so I won't be doing this for a while, but I'd like to know how to do it in advance.

My question here is: Is it possible or even a good option to bulk while training in the 3-5 rep range? Can doing things like slowing down rep speed and shortening rest periods make the 3-5 range good for size?

The reason I ask this is because I enjoy training in the 3-5s and I Fear that I wouldn't see desirable strength gains training in the 8-12 range.

Just a question.

Cheers.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I don't eat enough
    This will have to change.

Is it possible or even a good option to bulk while training in the 3-5 rep range?
    Are you talking about every single lift you do? Just the main lifts? What is your proposed routine?

Yes, look up boring but big, by Jim Wendler.
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

You can, but it is not optimal. Go to www.atlargenutrition.com and download the free Mass Gain PDF. I wrote it. You can do it without the supplements. They help, but if your budget is tight you can it without them. A training routine that will make you quite strong is included.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    You can, but it is not optimal. Go to www.atlargenutrition.com and download the free Mass Gain PDF. I wrote it. You can do it without the supplements. They help, but if your budget is tight you can it without them. A training routine that will make you quite strong is included.
    I love the honesty of ALN.
    Best lifts: 245kg deadlift, 162kg Front Squat, 145kg bench, 105kg log press, 250kg yoke carry, 115kg farmers, No. 2.5 Captains of crush

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patricky View Post
    I love the honesty of ALN.
    This. Good to see someone who doesn't say "buy everyone of my products or you will never get big". Because of this post im placing an order right now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Ryan View Post
    This. Good to see someone who doesn't say "buy everyone of my products or you will never get big". Because of this post im placing an order right now.
    Seriously... Chris Mason is the man!

Wannabebig New Member
    hey ive been trying to find this pdf to check it out but having trouble finding it on there.

Quote Originally Posted by bgb1990 View Post
    hey ive been trying to find this pdf to check it out but having trouble finding it on there.

Me too - any chance of a direct link Chris? Much appreciated.

Forgot about this thread, til the last guy posted. Didn't see what you posted till now. Thanks Chris mason!

Wannabebig New Member

potential technique for adding size quickly

try some HIT techniques, going to failure first on a few sets then doing a few more tradidtional volume sets. the biggest obstacle for many tryin to grow is the concept of resting and not overtraining. many pros will even have to take a step back and up the intensity in shorter durations and then know when to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Ryan View Post
    Thanks!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Whoops, I forgot we changed the home page. I will post a direct link later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by krazylarry View Post
    Yes, look up boring but big, by Jim Wendler.
    Explain your logic, please?

The hypertrophy portion of the Boring but Big workouts are 5 sets of ten reps, 50 reps total. In other words, the complete opposite of what the OP is proposing(3-5 reps).

OP you can bulk in that rep range, but you need more time under tension to get the most hypertrophy out of your workouts. I don't think you'll see optimal results in that rep range.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Wannabebig New Member

overtraining

so many guys overtrain its insane. even tho they may be huge think of how much denser they could be if they simplified the routine? i have been noticing huge results by going harder in shorter workouts b/c the long routines you naturally hold back a bit to reserve energy for the next however many sets.

this is my buddy who has been training me, guy is a monster for his age!
    http://www.highintensityheadquarters...!home/mainPage