The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Abs (not again!!!)

Last year, I was down to 8% body fat and i still couldn't see em'!!! What gives. I am at like 12% right now. I have got some nice handles right now. Hopefully in a month I will be back down to 8%.

Any ideas how to improve this delima? Like a lot of other guys, the love handles are the first to come in and the last to leave (i don't think they have ever left, actually!!) .
    Last edited by Loseit; 06-14-2002 at 07:39 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

...fattest...fatter...fat. WannaBeStrong's Avatar
    How do you measure your bodyfat?

I highly doubt you can't see your abs if you are 8%. More than likely you are closer to 14%.

Wannabebig Member
    Holy sh$t!! That is what i told the lady using the fat counter thing. But she said they are pretty acurate.

She also said that i had a distorted image of myself and that i wasn't fat at all!

dUnno

Obese != fat

Most people consider "fat" to be obesity. As someone who works out, any fat seems like being "fat" to us.

What did she use to measure? Was it the electrical bio-impedence deal? I got measured with one of those when I was 16. Said I had 5.4% bf. I did not have a six pack. I sure as hell should have at 5.4% bf.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by WannaBeStrong
    Obese != fat

Most people consider "fat" to be obesity. As someone who works out, any fat seems like being "fat" to us.

What did she use to measure? Was it the electrical bio-impedence deal? I got measured with one of those when I was 16. Said I had 5.4% bf. I did not have a six pack. I sure as hell should have at 5.4% bf.

Is that what they are? You put your weight and height into it and then hold it infront of you....

Blue veined member !
    Just cause your bodyfat is low doesn`t mean you`ll get abs. I think you need to build some first buddy.

Train them heavy and give them plenty of rest like you would any other muscle. You probably already know but the rectus abdominus is one muscle , you need to build the muscle so it rises above the horizontal and vertical tendons giving the appearance of six lovely little rock hard abs.
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

s that what they are? You put your weight and height into it and then hold it infront of you....
    Sure is. Sorry. Go get some calipers and use those to guide you. The other methods change vastly through the day based on hydration and other factors.

Just cause your bodyfat is low doesn`t mean you`ll get abs. I think you need to build some first buddy.
    Very true. I had been in Martial Arts for 8 years at that point, doing plenty of situps. I doubt that was my problem

Ecoli die
    From what I've seen and read abs are almost pure fast twitch which means situps stopped helping bulk your abs when you could do 15 of them. Treat them like you would your lats and they will probably pop out even when you are 12% BF.

Finally found a good place for body fat composition for bodybuilders: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/BodyComp.html
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Believe it or not I can't use enough weight to bring me down to a set < 25 at home. I put 60lbs on a dumbell and did strict crunches (very close attention to form) and stopped at 25 since they were usless. I have about 12.5% BF and can kind of notice them at an angle, but not prominent.

I agree with your statement though, high rep situps are wasteful unless you want neck pain (most people do neck-ups).

The Truth
    So what's REALLY good for abs then?
    Weighed crunches, Hanging leg raises, Hanging Twist Leg riases??????

I think people really mistake how much bodyfat they have.. because im at 14% bodyfat and I can see my abs (in good lighting)... Mind you, abs are just like any muscle, its not like you just have them, you have to work for them... I however have never used weights, just regular situps, i do them till it hurts, and my abs would be really prominent if I were around 10% bodyfat..

You can use more than 60lbs if you use a machine, You can get up to a few hundred lbs.

IF 60lbs is too light, do it very slowly and hold in the position instead of sitting all the way up or down, and hover while moving up and down.

I used 45lbs myself.

LOL i have the same problem, i can see my abs but they dont look like abs you see on pro bb's. my abs look like i have a huge belly and you can see the imprint, and feel the abs very well. remember, abs are 90% made in the kitchen. otherwise if you do you squats and deads, then make sure you get a hardcore ab workout youll put on some abs.

"Just cause your bodyfat is low doesn`t mean you`ll get abs. I think you need to build some first buddy."

bullshiat imo. if your bf is low enough youll have abs. I know kids who dont work out and weigh nil lbs and have abs. abs= bf%

big abs is a different story of course

I don't think most of you know how strong your abs can be.
    You can see my abs and I'm at 17% bodyfat (I'm workin on it).

It took me about 4 weeks to max out the ab machine at the gym. About 4 sets or 4-6 reps at 250 lbs. Once a week.

Want to work on a flatter stomach too? Just suck in your gut while you do these. Hurts the most for me to just blow out real quick while contracting. This works your transversus (the only muscle that can flatten your stomach).

If you think you can build your biceps doing 3 or 4 hundred 5 lb curls, then stick with your silly ab workouts. Otherwise, find a weighted machine, and/or a nice dumbell and get to work.

Fudo

Its genetics not bodyfat.

You can bring your bodyfat to 5% but even if your bodyfat is 5%, if 4% of it is all in your stomach, what good is having lowbodyfat

you need muscle under the fat.

3:16
    if your bf is low enough your abs come out, unless your boyer coyer.

then they are not going to come out. everyone has some ab size look at pictures from famine etc they still have a bit of abs development showing, even though have hardly any muscle at all.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

"Its genetics not bodyfat.

You can bring your bodyfat to 5% but even if your bodyfat is 5%, if 4% of it is all in your stomach, what good is having lowbodyfat

you need muscle under the fat."

BS. anybody who is 4% bf wont only have ripped shredded abs, hell have visible veins over them.

no matter how small

Blue veined member !
    Reiner you fool, we obviously know that everybody has abs and you`ll see them if your bf is low enough, what were trying to point out is that if they`re not built enough they wont be as visible ( or look half as good ).

eg. a female friend of mine at around 9-10%bf flexes her arm, she says "look at my biceps"...I laugh cause theres hardly anything there..yes I know she does have a bicep but obviously it hasnt been built enough for it to stand out . Same with abs you have to build them enough or chances are even with a low bf level, sure theyre visible but they`ll look sh!te and flat ..most people want the egg box look.
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

3:16
    your have abs at 4%bf if you have big legs, chest, lats etc.

if your back, legs etc are small then you will have little abs but still lean.

you will have good visible abs if you have good other visiable body parts.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

PR blaster!
    Lots of factors here: obviously bf%, which can be quite inaccurate depending on the device used, water retention, and genetics play a role and by that I mean some people's bodies "like" to store fat in their guts while others dont. I think almost anyone with enough dedication to training and diet can possess one.
    "****, if you told teenagers it was trendy to wear a paper bag on their heads with holes for the eyes they'd all be doing it."