Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 61 of 61

Thread: Need Speed

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,486
    Seriously, go watch all the DeFranco videos on youtube and read his site.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

  2. #52
    Senior Member Jonathan E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    Seriously, go watch all the DeFranco videos on youtube and read his site.
    will do.
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

    "All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

  3. #53
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    Got the westside book. Started this week. Got 495 for one on box squat. Here is a vid of my 40...one take, did not run my best. My right hamstring kinda tightened at the 5 second mark..but I think for the sake of technical analysis this will do. Thanks guys.

    Impressive sprinting and also impressive weights
    Want to handstand like bruce lee ?

    www.lostartofhandbalancing.com

    Learn How To Do A Handstand !

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    University at Albany
    Posts
    2,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    Not fast enough..yet. Like I said..not max effort run. Friend had a camera and I just told him to film it real quick so Alex can see it. And if thats the case, how should I modify my westside template? Louie mentioned mentioned nothing (from what I read thus far) on 3-5 range. Just 2 ME days and 2 DE days.
    I wouldn't use Westside to train for football. It's a powerlifting template and Louie's a powerlifting coach not a football strength coach.

    If you want speed, there's NOTHING you can do in a weightroom, under a bar that is as fast and explosive as running or jumping. There's no use for DE work as an athlete because you already get it with running, drills, etc...

    Singles make zero sense because there's never an all-out, max effort in sport.

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    303
    I disagree. You can still gain "explosiveness" and "power" through lifting heavy. Put it this way:

    If you can bench 400 pounds, but you're only working out with 225, you'll be able to get 225 like it's nothing.

    If you can bench 550 pounds, no matter if you do singles or not, you'll be able to get 225 more times (and quicker) 99.99999999% of the time, even if you haven't touched 225 in years.

    My PERSONAL belief is that EVERY athlete in EVERY sport should powerlift. Just my opinion.

    EDIT: Plus, if you're good, EVERY play should be full-out max effort. if not, then you don't have a high motor, and chances are you will not make it very far in football.
    Last edited by Falcon63; 09-18-2012 at 10:15 AM.

  6. #56
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,682
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    I wouldn't use Westside to train for football. It's a powerlifting template and Louie's a powerlifting coach not a football strength coach.

    If you want speed, there's NOTHING you can do in a weightroom, under a bar that is as fast and explosive as running or jumping. There's no use for DE work as an athlete because you already get it with running, drills, etc...

    Singles make zero sense because there's never an all-out, max effort in sport.
    You know, he has taken many football players and made them much better athletes. The truth is most football strength coaches don't have a clue. They don't understand the physiology which underlies performance and therefore how to optimize it.

    Case in point, Louie took an Ohio State lineman over a summer and when he went back he dominated all of the physical tests which he was subjected to. Another former Ohio State player set the L drill record at the combine beating Michael Vick's previous mark.

    He has worked with many, many, many other football players over the years and has never failed to enhance their performance.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  7. #57
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    Curious how those guys wound up as players? Did the improvement in said drills equate to better on field performance?


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Just get under the bar!

  8. #58
    Senior Member Jonathan E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    I wouldn't use Westside to train for football. It's a powerlifting template and Louie's a powerlifting coach not a football strength coach.

    If you want speed, there's NOTHING you can do in a weightroom, under a bar that is as fast and explosive as running or jumping. There's no use for DE work as an athlete because you already get it with running, drills, etc...

    Singles make zero sense because there's never an all-out, max effort in sport.
    Out of pure curiosity, what would you advise, then?
    You mentioned the 3-5 range, but the only plus I see to that is more volume and im getting plenty via accessory work. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Jonathan E; 09-18-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

    "All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

  9. #59
    brandondstafford
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Mateo, California
    Posts
    1
    Excellent publish! many of individuals get stuck on the specifics and ignore how great their individual achievements really are. Its seems to be fantastic perspective to have and I'm grateful you approved it on to us. Thanks for sharing

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    University at Albany
    Posts
    2,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    Out of pure curiosity, what would you advise, then?
    You mentioned the 3-5 range, but the only plus I see to that is more volume and im getting plenty via accessory work. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    5/3/1 or Juggernaut. Accessory work isn't real volume. Yes, it's volume, but what's better volume? Squats or Deadlifts for 5x5 or anything else? Accessory work is just that, accessory. Main work is all that really matters.

  11. #61
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1
    You looked stiff in your stride length. You popped up to rapidly. Your hands even indicated tightness. You need to do some bounding, hip mobility, among other things. If your squat goes up 50 ,but your 40, 5_10_5 , single leg hopes and other tests dont improve are you doing the right things.

Similar Threads

  1. speed strength & strength speed; for you westside guys
    By JSully in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-30-2011, 08:26 AM
  2. speed pulls form & speed bench form: please critique ...
    By zk001 in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 08:12 PM
  3. Speed or no speed, need some input
    By Stumprrp in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 07:33 PM
  4. speed?
    By Midknight in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2003, 09:45 AM
  5. Rep speed
    By John0101 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-21-2003, 12:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •