The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Speed

Need Speed

Posted a few days ago in this section a thread called "Football tryouts in a few days."

For those who haven't read that thread, I didn't make the team, long story short.

Im not going to beat around the bush. I need more speed. At this level its one of the main things holding me back. I want to improve my 40 time (at a 4.89 currently), 3-cone, pro-agaility,etc. Im transferring over from an O-linemen to a linebacker so I need a lot of help. Currently following Tom Mutaffis' strongman program listed here. If anyone can get me on a proper track/routine for speed training, I'd appreciate it. Feel free to ask questions if you want more info.
    Bench: 315x3
    Squat: 455x2
    Dead: 500

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well, not to be an asshole or anything, but this is a powerlifting forum. You'd be better off asking elsewhere, like on a football training forum.

Is your dream to play d1 football above anything else at this point? I remember you posted your highlight video a time back and thought you could be an excellent d3 player right off the bat and likely a solid d2 player after a year of gaining some size. Don't let anyone ever tell you you can't do anything, but if you want to play for 4 years significantly, it may not be a bad idea to check out those options provided it is financially feasible. I played d3 football at a school which was quite bad at the time, but whenever I talk to people about football now 10 years later, I usually receive compliments just for playing at the college level. I will even make comments, but yeah it was d3 and they reply it didn't matter because it was college ball. So, follow your dream, but keep things in perspective.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Is your dream to play d1 football above anything else at this point? I remember you posted your highlight video a time back and thought you could be an excellent d3 player right off the bat and likely a solid d2 player after a year of gaining some size. Don't let anyone ever tell you you can't do anything, but if you want to play for 4 years significantly, it may not be a bad idea to check out those options provided it is financially feasible. I played d3 football at a school which was quite bad at the time, but whenever I talk to people about football now 10 years later, I usually receive compliments just for playing at the college level. I will even make comments, but yeah it was d3 and they reply it didn't matter because it was college ball. So, follow your dream, but keep things in perspective.
    Great post man! A lot of people get hung up on the particulars and forget how great their personal accomplishments really are. This is a great outlook to have and I'm glad you passed it on to us. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon63 View Post
    Well, not to be an asshole or anything, but this is a powerlifting forum. You'd be better off asking elsewhere, like on a football training forum.
    You are correct. However, a lot of power lifting and football training go hand in hand. I also have more faith in this site than others.

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Thanks Joey. I'll keep that in mind. Like you said, I'm going to follow my dreams. I just need to make sure I keep other doors open so I have options.

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    You are correct. However, a lot of power lifting and football training go hand in hand. I also have more faith in this site than others.
    Agreed. And I mean, I play college ball myself currently, but you'd find MORE football players elsewhere.

DeFranco has some great info out here. He's all about the first 10 yards.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    DeFranco has some great info out here. He's all about the first 10 yards.
    Know of him but never have done any deep research. Any good articles/books I can look/buy?

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

A strength coach friend of mine (who trains NFL and D1 college types in the off season) once told me one time that D-1 football athletes were born, not made... so much of it is a genetic thing.

This year at South Carolina (the USC), you'd be about 3-4 inches too short and 50 - 80 pounds too light to be an offensive linemen....
    LT Brandon Shell: 6'6" 331
    LG AJ Cann: 6'4" 309
    C T J Johnson: 6'6" 319
    RG Ronald Patrick 6'2" 305
    RT Mike Matulis 6'5" 274

I think the transition from O.L. to L.B. is a leap too far also ~~~ needing more along the lines of 4.6 speed.

Which leads me to my next question: Have you thought about fullback ~ your right in the ball park, and you understand blocking schemes ~~~~ Just a thought.

Also, back to the the SC lineman, they are coached by a guy who never played a down of D1 football (Shawn Elliot) ~ who played at Appalachian State, became a graduate assistant there, and is now the O-Line coach here.

No shame in following your dreams, but sometimes the good Lord has other plans for the immediate future. Use the tools that are in your toolbox now and excel where you're at.

Who knows it might not even be football ~~~ perhaps you'd be awesome at Rugby.
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

DeFranco has a YouTube channel too with a bunch of videos.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    Thanks.

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    DeFranco has a YouTube channel too with a bunch of videos.
    I'll start checking them out.

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by Iplan View Post
    A strength coach friend of mine (who trains NFL and D1 college types in the off season) once told me one time that D-1 football athletes were born, not made... so much of it is a genetic thing.

This year at South Carolina (the USC), you'd be about 3-4 inches too short and 50 - 80 pounds too light to be an offensive linemen....
    LT Brandon Shell: 6'6" 331
    LG AJ Cann: 6'4" 309
    C T J Johnson: 6'6" 319
    RG Ronald Patrick 6'2" 305
    RT Mike Matulis 6'5" 274

I think the transition from O.L. to L.B. is a leap too far also ~~~ needing more along the lines of 4.6 speed.

Which leads me to my next question: Have you thought about fullback ~ your right in the ball park, and you understand blocking schemes ~~~~ Just a thought.

Also, back to the the SC lineman, they are coached by a guy who never played a down of D1 football (Shawn Elliot) ~ who played at Appalachian State, became a graduate assistant there, and is now the O-Line coach here.

No shame in following your dreams, but sometimes the good Lord has other plans for the immediate future. Use the tools that are in your toolbox now and excel where you're at.

Who knows it might not even be football ~~~ perhaps you'd be awesome at Rugby.
    Thanks for the post. A lot of good info. Fullback would be pretty good..ISU currently doesn't utilize them though. So in the next month im going to have to reevaluate a few things.
    Last edited by Jonathan E; 08-26-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

I'm also currently trying to transition from OL to MLB after 3 torn ACLs...while moving up a division.

I'm also currently trying to transition from OL to MLB after 3 torn ACLs...while moving up a division.
    What school/division?

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

Banned
    The only thing that may correlate is the fac tthat you squat and bench - that's it.

Let me explain football in its simplest form. If you're willing to do anything on the field, you can play football. Play special teams, long snap, run, hit, tackle. It's a very easy sport to play, on that level.

As mentioned above, there's no way you'll make the transition from OL to LB.

The best way to get better (agility, speed etc...) is to play basketball and lift. There's no drill that'll make you better.

And to whoever mentioned the OL coach at South carolina - he absolutely played Division 1 football. App State is a 1AA powerhouse. it doesn't mean you can't be a great coach if you never played D1 ball, but give the guy his credit. App State is d1 and very good, at that.

What school/division?
    Was at a powerhouse D3 school, now trying to go D2 (have to many injuries/no size for D1)

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    The only thing that may correlate is the fac tthat you squat and bench - that's it.

Let me explain football in its simplest form. If you're willing to do anything on the field, you can play football. Play special teams, long snap, run, hit, tackle. It's a very easy sport to play, on that level.

As mentioned above, there's no way you'll make the transition from OL to LB.

The best way to get better (agility, speed etc...) is to play basketball and lift. There's no drill that'll make you better.

And to whoever mentioned the OL coach at South carolina - he absolutely played Division 1 football. App State is a 1AA powerhouse. it doesn't mean you can't be a great coach if you never played D1 ball, but give the guy his credit. App State is d1 and very good, at that.
    Agreed. Working on long snapping now, actually. Also looking into Illinois State and Southern Illinois (Both good div 1AA) if this school doesn't work out.

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

Anyone heard of this gentlemen? Supposedly runs a 5.0 + 40 yard but has a successful career as a line back/d end.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarret_Johnson

Some food for thought..maybe a little motivation/hope for me.

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

Was at a powerhouse D3 school, now trying to go D2 (have to many injuries/no size for D1)
    Good luck brother.

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

He's simply proof that speed isn't everything. For his position a 5 second 40 isn't the worst thing in the world. But he plays the position well.

Get stronger. Your numbers aren't what they should be for your position. If you get stronger, the speed will increase provided you continue training it. I go over this time and time again with guys who come into my gym. You have to be able to develop more power and you can't do that when you're not getting stronger. Over the years I've helped a lot of guys go from 2nd and 3rd string to starting positions by this principle. More times than not they were slow because they just weren't strong enough. Or they hadn't done some particular movements correctly (like squatting).

Start deadlifting as well.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    He's simply proof that speed isn't everything. For his position a 5 second 40 isn't the worst thing in the world. But he plays the position well.

Get stronger. Your numbers aren't what they should be for your position. If you get stronger, the speed will increase provided you continue training it. I go over this time and time again with guys who come into my gym. You have to be able to develop more power and you can't do that when you're not getting stronger. Over the years I've helped a lot of guys go from 2nd and 3rd string to starting positions by this principle. More times than not they were slow because they just weren't strong enough. Or they hadn't done some particular movements correctly (like squatting).

Start deadlifting as well.
    Thanks for the input Travis. Looking at my numbers, whats a goal you think I should be aiming for? I've experimented with 5/3/1, DT, and now Toms' program. I've really been hitting a brick wall these past months with training. Anything you (or for that matter anyone else) would recommend? Upper body and back seems to be slowly moving up, but more importantly my lower half and especially my squat is not.

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

You got any videos of you sprinting?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results