The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

405 Deadlift Form Check (PR)

Hey guys just wanted you to critique my form! I will rep the good criticism, thanks guys appreciate it.

Video
    I love this sport.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm no expert and certainly not as good as most members of this site but for what it's worth your form looks fine to me. There's nothing that I'd say needs changing; maybe someone else might offer critique, however.
    "I don't do this because it's easy. I do this because it's not."

25yo | H 1.73m | W 80kg | B 115kg | S 180kg | D 190kg

I'd try deadlifting in a non-squishy no elevated heel shoe.

You look pretty good, but it seems you are being pulled slightly forward. Also notice how on the way down you have to move the bar around your knee. Ideally, your knees should be out of the way with shins more vertical at this point. To help with that, try to get your butt back more. Getting into a flatter more stable shoe might help with this too.

Looks pretty good, bro. Strong as hell. What do you feel like you struggle with (I mean what are you worried about on your form)?

Here is my two cents and what has worked for me:

1) Close your stance a bit on conventional. The more perfectly I can align my hips, knees and ankles when I look straight down, the stronger (that's just my preference). Same thing on your hand to shoulder placement.

2) Don't waste energy fiddling around down at the bar before your lift. Get up to the bar, find your foot placement, center your mind and go.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    2) Don't waste energy fiddling around down at the bar before your lift. Get up to the bar, find your foot placement, center your mind and go.

Thats spot on...Grip and rip.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    I feel that's a huge problem of mine. I'm so worried my grip will be off if I just go and giver hell lol but I guess I have to just stop wondering and try it out.
    I love this sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    This ^! It's how I put 90 lbs on my DL in under 3 months. I stopped fucking worrying about it! Sounds stupid, sounds simple... but it's true. I walk up, place my feet, and don't even grab the bar until I'm ready to rip it off the floor. It's one of the best lifts ever because you don't have to over think your technique. Say "Fuck It" and just go.

Quote Originally Posted by marleau View Post
    I feel that's a huge problem of mine. I'm so worried my grip will be off if I just go and giver hell lol but I guess I have to just stop wondering and try it out.
    You're looking strong as hell man. Keep up the good work bro.
    36 yr old novice PL

Best lifts (non competition):
    Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

just be careful that your arms are straight if you just rip it off the floor using an over/under grip. i blew out my bicep doing that because my arm had a slight bend in it. i've actually found i focus on form better when i don't do so. but that seems to be a matter of personal preference. i agree with the comment about closing your stance. if your arms are hanging more straight down the bar has less distance to travel. otherwise looks good. but i'm a so-so deadlifter, so take it for what it's worth!

Wannabebig New Member
    I'm new obviously so maybe someone else can chime in but your head looked too far up/back, like you were trying to watch yourself. I know one thing that helps me is picking a spot on the floor 5-7 feet in front of me and looking there instead of looking at myself in the mirror. It's just a more natural position and it takes some of the strain away from the neck muscles.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hearno View Post
    I'm new obviously so maybe someone else can chime in but your head looked too far up/back, like you were trying to watch yourself. I know one thing that helps me is picking a spot on the floor 5-7 feet in front of me and looking there instead of looking at myself in the mirror. It's just a more natural position and it takes some of the strain away from the neck muscles.
    Everything was said by others. Let me elaborate your point. At the bottom position, you don't want your head cocked up... your whole spine is being loaded and you want to keep that spine straight or a very sight curve either way.

Make those improvements and post again. Good luck with your training... you won't get hurt with the form you have, but improvements can be made.