The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Week 6 - bench - speed

Last nights go:

Speed floor press: 8 sets of 3 with 205

Incline DB Press: 20/60, 20/60

Band Pushdowns: purple band, 30,30,25,15

Standing DB military: 6/20, 6/30, 6/40, 6/45

Green band flies: 3 sets of 15

Abs

What a session. Floor pres went well... I actually got better as the sets went on finishing strongly. Very happy.

The incline DB were a bigger and I tweaked my neck on te final 5 reps of the second set but got thru.

After that was all gravy. The militarized were light To progress because my neck wasn't right but these reps still were no joke.

Another good day... Tomorrow we squat!!
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

Week 6 - squat - reps

Tonight's awesomeness...

Squats - 6 sets of 2 with 285

Ghetto ssb squats - 3 sets of 10 with 205 and a 3 count pause in the hole

Lunges - 3 sets of 15 strides with 30lb DBS

Squats - 45/150

Another man maker day!!! Started off with the regular squats and we made sure to drop these deep and they felt great. amazing that again earlier in te year 275 was a max with a high squat

Then the pause squats sucked huge. But I feel better in the hole in general and these are difference makers - it was good too as my partner did the 3 count and up command and kept track of reps so this was crazy deep work

Lunges were disgusting even with the 30lb DBS lol

Now the 45 reps with the 150 was the icing. Without a doubt by finishing our session with these and never rackin the bar till we were done, our man cards are soon to be signed and we are almost north of vag.

I felt like throwing up Half way into the session and well into 3 hours post. I choked down my post shake and prayed for calmness

Finally I'm squatting we'll and loving it. These training has been a great decision.

One of the best thing has been that into week 6 we aren't feeling best up and are excite for each week.

Neck stayed goo too today. So tomorow we slingshot our triceps!!!!!!!
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

Week 6 - Weakness day

Some catching up from last saturday:

Kettlebell Standing Single arm military press: 15/16 kg, 12/26kg, 30/16kg

3 board press with slingshot - worked up to 10/275, 8/300, 6/300

Bench with slingshot - 15/225, 10/275

Chins

Dips

DB Curls

Pretty fun day here... the kettle bell military is a great change for me... my neck is much better with all the chiro and massage and this exercise was way harder than I ever thought

The slingshot is a ton of fun... the benefits from the work here was way overloaded lockout work that forced me to stay in my grove, so helped my form and was tough as balls at the top lockout... we will see what benefit carries over

Chins continue to get better, and I did my dips with the slingshot also which really help me rep out some work without elbow or shoulder pain.

Triceps were cooked after the work today

My Journal

Week 7 - Deadlift Reps

Tuesday's post Canadian thanksgiving fun...

Deads: 325 for 5 sets of 2

Block pulls - 20/255

Ghetto SSB Squats - 12/205, 12/225, 12/225

Lunges - 10/30, 10/35, 10/40, 10/50

Back Raises - 30

Well lots of work done here... a session that was way harder than it appeared on paper... whats fun is the pulls are way better than they've been and I'm in awe that i'm using 300lbs plus for work now

The block pulls I used straps and a really wide snatch grip... these were killer

Following the pulling with the ghetto SSB squats was horrible... not outstanding weight but they were deep and it wasn't fun

Lunges had me worried for my neck but by the end the 50lb set was horrible, and I wanted to throw-up lol

On the upside, the back raises were done in one set and I had more in me

My Journal

Week 7- Bench max

Thursday work:

1 board press: 5/185, 5/205, 3/225, 2/245, 1/255, 1/265**

Close Grip: 3/205, 3/205, 3/205

Lat Pulldowns 3/15

Tri pushdowns 4/15

DB Military Press - 10/30, 10/40, 10/50

Shrugs - 15/185, 15/205, 15/205, 15/205

Well I continue to suck at the bench... the only good there here is again, I used a bar that was actually 55lbs and not 45lbs so my numbers are 10 pounds out... which is great... but my 265 attempt I stalled in the mid off the board, but locked it out... my partner said he didn't do anything but put fingers on the bar... so the rep doesn't count... when I get to max bench attempts I just can't seem to dial it in... I need help but not sure with what

Closegrip were done with a pause as were the pulldwons and the pushdowns...

military press went well, again my neck is back on the mend, and shrugs were teasing my neck but i made good on good reps with squeeze

My Journal

Week 7 - Squat Speed

Saturday work:

Speed Squats - 8 sets of 2 with 265, 1/295

SQuats with pause in hole - 5/185, 5/205, 5/235, 5/236, 5/235

Leg Press - 4 sets of 20 reps with 3 plates per side

Ghetto Rev Hyper - 3 sets of 12

Still leg DB - 15/50, 15/50, 15/50

This was a great follow up to bench day... squats are really coming along... once I warmed up to my speed weight, it was a great session... I was deep and jumping out of the hole better thank I ever have... even the 295 was amazing... and again what is incredible is back in May, 2012 I struggle to do a good squat with 275... paying off

the pause squats sucked huge after speed work but again I did them with an audible 1 count by myself before standing up.

After that it was all gravy... leg press was hard, and the stiff leg DB work was a terrible good way to end the day

***NOTE: as i didn't have a weakness day, every session I added extra work... so dead day I did some bicep work, bench day I added some hammer press sets, and on squat day I added some shoulder, bicep and tricep work***

My Journal

Week 8 - Deads Speed

Tuesday's session:

Deads: warmed up to 6 singles with 395

Block pull: 5/375

Pause Deads: 6/185, 6/185, 6/185

Shrugs: 20/205, 20/205

Lat Widegrip pulldowns: 4x15

Well Tuesday was a great session. After warming up on deads, I started hitting singles with 395... the first 3-4 reps felt really strong, and really the last 4-6 reps were strong but didn't feel as explosive at the top... tougher work executing that it looked on paper

The block pulls were hard to, mostly because I didn't rest much on the deads so this was harder than it would have normally been, but done none the less.

The rest of the work went well, focusing on getting a great squeeze with each set

My Journal

Week 8 - Bench Reps

Thursday's go:

Bench: 3 sets of 2/245

Military press: 12/95, 12/115, 12/115, 12/115

Close grip cable pulldowns: 4x20

Cable pushdowns: 60, 40 reps

I continue to suck at benching... today was horrible... each max set, I hit a strong first rep and then the 2nd rep was terrible, out of my groove and slow... I continue to struggle with this freakin' movement...

Military press went very well for the simple reason that my neck didn't bug me at all, and the reps were all strict and painless... nice to get these going again

The pulldowns and pushdowns were just controlled chaos... lit up and progressing...

My Journal

Week 8 - Squat Max

Friday fun:

Max Squat: warmups, 1/315, 1/365, 1/405, 1/425, 1/425, 0/425, 1/410

Well damn you squat... warm ups went really well... hitting deep paused reps even with the 315, sitting in the hole, but I knew trouble was upon me when I hit 405 and my partner said it was a bit high... what ensued was this: my first 425 was about 1 1/2 inches high and wobbly, form being the problem not the weight... 2nd rep was strong again but same thing high by about 1 1/2 inches... so I took it a 3rd time and sunk the rep came up and lost it, dumping the weight... complete and utter bullS$#% on my part... the weight feels fine on my back, but I'm just a mental loser in the hole with this for some reason... but the day wasn't a loss, I sunk 410 for a new, legit PR that was still harder than it should have been... still have lots of work to do

After I took a bit of a break and did some bicep work as well as some flies and back work to flush everything for my weakness day... taking the weekend off from training and resting up so that I can murder these final 2 weeks

My Journal

Week 9 - deads - max

Tonight's fun -

Deads standing on a 45lb plate - 1/325, 1/345, 1/365, 1/385, 1/415, 1/445

Sumos - 5 singles with 335

Shrugs - 3 sets of 15

Lunges - 15/40, 10/50, 10/60

Up down planks - 19, 11, 10, 10

Well what a night... Pulling from the deficit was mug harder than I remember and clearly shows where I'm weaker - it was hard getting down and starting the pull, but overall went very well... I ended up 20 lbs of my best pull from the ground, so I think that this is going to be the difference right now

Sumos were interesting - by prescribed number I should have use 375 for my sets - I couldn't budge the weight, so dropped to 335 and this was still harder than it should be, so not sure what this means...

After that everything was controlled work that is a step closer to helping me crush some goals.

Good times!

My Journal

Week 9 - Bench Speed

This was Wednesday's work:

Floor Press - 5 sets of 5 with 185lbs

Incline Dumbbells - 15/55, 15/60, 14/60

Cable Pushdowns - 70/50, 30/50

DB Military Press Standing - 10/40, 10/45, 10/50, 10/50

Band Fly - 3x15

Abs

As I suck at bench, today was a good day... the floor press should have been 190, but the 185 was to ensure I got my speed going, and I think it was smart as I was able to work my set up and really focus on pausing at the bottom and exploding up... went well, and set up seems to be coming together again

The rest of the work was ok... my incline DB's were awesome for me as I feel good... I didn't get the 15 on the last set, but still felt good.

Overall, it's coming together bit by bit

My Journal

Week 9 - Squat Reps

Friday at midnight:

Squats - 2/305, 2/305, 2/305

Ghetto SSB wide stance pause squats - 10/205, 10/205, 10/205

Lunges - 50/15, 50/15, 50/15strides

Squat - 40/165

Well this looks so easy on paper lol, but it is a battle... my rep squats to start went well as I made sure to get deep and focus where I'm having trouble, so made them deep, and these felt strong... it's a great feeling to be working in the 300's with confidence now, and I know that I'm a better squatter over all because of this work

The ghetto ssb wide pause squats - well they are gross... a 3 second count in the hole means that by the end I'm light headed, breathing heavy and lit up... but these go a long way to blowing out of the bottom and really tax you mentally

Lunges are a terrible follow-up to all this, the 50lbs DB's felt like 100's but I really think these are helping tie my glutes and hams together for a stronger posterior

The finale for today was disgusting - I was already tired from a long couple of days... this work was no joke and now I had this 40 rep session... well I did it without racking the weight, and probably my most consistent deep squatting in this manner to date... I didn't puke, survived and here 2 days later have the sorest legs in the world haha.

Onwards to weakness day today and then week 10!!!!

My Journal

Wannabebig New Member Ryan Pelletier's Avatar
    Good progress so far! I was looking back in your log and on some of the speed days you do a 3x3 workout and others you do the traditional 8x3 is there a reason for this? also on your rep days you do 6 sets of 2 is there a reason for this?

Hey Ryan! Thanks for checking out the log!

Here's my thoughts on your questions:

Speed work - the variance is based on the weights and percentages used (which I didn't include as the program isn't supposed to be completely out there at this point) So the idea is to keep the Speed work fast and also the sets seem to get lower as the weight goes up so you can really push the speed component without turning it into a volume/rep day

Rep work - the idea here is to get reps in to keep volume up to build size, endurance and strength... the rep days are tougher than they look...

I also think overall that the volume increases in waves as this really helps you get more confident under weight.

Hope that makes sense!

My Journal

Week 9 - Weakness Day

So last Weekend I did my weakness day.

This was a fun day of learning that neglecting this day took a toll on my shoulder press strength which likely has a big impact on my disgusting inability to bench.

But it also yielded a very good result - based on a suggestion from Corey Hayes who keeps a log here and hails from Berea Barbell... I did squats with a dip belt standing on benches and getting in a Brandon Lilly hybrid sumo stance dropped deep in the hole for this exercise... my hips paid a price for it and I love it... this is a mandatory exercise from here on out as it will make me better and my hips stronger

Otherwise, I hammered my shoulders, did these dip belt squats on blocks and then did bicep work.

pretty fun and necessary work going forward.

My Journal

CUBE Cycle Wrap Up

So after 9 weeks, the final word from Brandon was to cruise through the week and hit a mock meet to see what PR's I could hit and see what I was capable of.

I instead I chose not to do this and started back at week 1 and will explain why in a moment.

This training has been probably some of the best training experiences of my life. Since being a young lifter doing 5x5 stuff and seeing huge gains, I went on to be a lost lifter trying to figure out what I had to do. I started Westside style training back in 2002 and was introduced to a training style that took my foundation to the next level of making gains. But it also proved my training idiocy as I couldn't follow putting together a program. Then for the past couple of years and most importantly these past 8 months pre-cube I used the 5/3/1 style to really make the biggest strength gains I thought I'd experienced. But this style also had me exposed by my inability to program the accessory work and the work also had me feeling beat up near the end of they cycle. 5/3/1 also had me feeling that I needed a combination of what Westside offered me with speed work but I had no idea what to do to make this work.

So when Brandon Lilly offered a chance to have programming done for a really affordable price - I jumped head first to have a chance to have my training done for me by someone who I had been stalking over the YouTubes for some time already lol.

So the Cube entered my training life and was amazing. First of all this training style introduced me to a more balanced training as far as being fresh mentally and physically each week, only having to worry about breaking a PR once a week and otherwise putting in work that required focus and personal intensity to move forward. The hidden gem of the Cube for me was that I mentally had to prepare each week to do things that were simply sent with matter of factness that you need to win to progress and that never was there doubt in Brandon's messages that we would do anything but succeed.

I really discovered that mentally I could be tougher, got tougher, and accomplished things. For me, my highlights were pulling 485 from a 4" block, 445 from a 1" defecit and using weights in the 300lb range like they were warm ups. Then squatting for reps that I thought would be impossible and then destroying them, finally doing a legit 405lb squat, hitting an all time best of 410lbs squat for real depth and beginning to believe in myself again. Bench was trouble for me in that I just plain suck, but I got better over all with my volume of work, my endurance and figuring out technical issues that will move me forward. Bench is also suffering because I neglected the weakness days.

Overall, I started back at week 1 because I know I left weight on the bar each week in my accessory work. I still made progress but as I look back, I know I could have done better. And now I need to make good on that and push forward again.

Some other hidden gems of this process - Brandon Lilly = his positive attitude and willingness to help can't be explained... I don't compete, do this for fun and have no access to special equipment... I'm training stupid in that I don't have a grasp of so much... yet he never made me think anything other than that I will succeed and could do it, and never made me feel like an idiot or unworthy of his time... those things are priceless and I'm truly thankful; Corey Hayes - his key contributions of suggestions during this process and encouragement were amazing, and like Brandon, he gave with no expectation of receiving anything in return - I thank you.

2 people that deserve special mention during this training are 1) My training partner "Money Maker Mike" - injured, tired, whatever he showed up every week and is a key factor in my success 2) Fellow Canuck, Mike B - met through being facebook Cube testing friends and his kind words each week along with seeing his hard work were invaluable contributions to this experience and I'm thankful for the new friendship.

I'm going to keep the log going, and stay on this path of training now for some time. I think I'm so close to my 500lbs deadlift that I can taste it. Also my 450 squat is also right around the corner and will be mine. Plus with some work I will finally be a 300lb bencher.

So thank you to all who have followed this log. I hope it helped you in some fashion. And stay tuned for more progress over the coming months!

My Journal

Week 10 - Deadlift - Reps

Tuesday's work:

Week 10 - Deads - reps

Deads from floor - 3 x 3/330

Deads from blocks - 2 x 3/345

Manta ray ghetto SSB squats - 8/185, 8/205, 8/225

ghetto GHR - 10/bw, 3 x 10/bw+monster mini bands

Back Raises - 38/bw, 12/bw

A good start to phase 2 - heavier reps work, better SSB squatting and stronger GHR and back raise work... winning

My Journal

Week 10 - Bench Max

Thursdays benching:

Floor Press: 10/135, 3/135, 3/155, 1/185, 1/205, 1/225, 1/245, 15/155, 15/155

Lat Pulldowns (widegrip): workup up to final set of 12/165

Band Push downs: 50, 30, 20

DB Shrugs: 15/60, 15/70, 15/85

DB Military: 12/40, 12/45, 12/50

Well floor press was a fail in that I didn't get better weights and something crunch in my shoulder, but I changed up my grip yet again and actually felt good, so we will see what happens... band pushdowns were with jumpstretch purple band and felt great... shrugs were awesome and military press yielded some shoulder pain but no neck pain!!!!

My Journal

Week 10 - Squat Speed

Friday's fun:

Speed Squats - 3x3/245

Reverse Squats - 2/295 with monster mini bands

Squats- 5/245, 5/255, 5/255, 5/265, 4/265

Leg Press - 15/4 plates per side, 15/ 4 pps, 15/4pps, 15/4pps

Ghetto reverse hypers - 3x12/bw

Kettlebell Swings - 3x15/24kg

Again, weights are up, depths better and squatting is fun... leg press don't seem like much but when done controlled they are tough, and Kb swings to finish are no joke.

Also I knew I wouldn't get back in to the gym until Monday so I did extra work after a break of shoulder work, bicep and back work. Lots of volume and pump, felt good flushing out my upper body.

As I'm typing I feel pretty good too over all, so can't wait to keep going!

My Journal

Wannabebig New Member
    What types of percentages did you use. I have basically the same maxes as you. Just curios of how you figured out the weight for the day.

Wannabebig New Member

Interview with Brandon Lilly about the Cube Method! Saturday Dec. 15th at 6pm!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/vegas-p...-brandon-lilly
    Attached Images Attached Images