Thread: Enter the CUBE -Brandon Lilly Cube Method 10 Week Test Group

Hybrid View

Enter the CUBE -Brandon Lilly Cube Method 10 Week Test Group

Well after one of the most wonderful summers on a personal home note, things got even sweeter. I was able to be part of Brandon Lilly's Cube method test group!!!!!

Brandon is one of the lifters I've followed for a while and enjoyed his videos for sometime and really enjoyed his ideas about training. As such to be accepted is an honor and my first opportunity to get actual programming from someone to help me get stronger based on knowledge and feedback and eliminating some of my ideas that as the past has shown are often incorrect.

So as a result of this new training method, for now this will be my log going forward through this journey.

As of the last week of July, I tested my maxes on the big 3 and got the following results:

Squat - 405lbs
    Bench - 270lbs
    Dead - 465lbs

These are my benchmark numbers going into this test group and my hope is to make a better run - I'd like to reach a 500lb deadlift at the end of this cycle, a solid 450lb squat and would love at least a 300lb bench.

So really the only x-factor is going to me busting my butt to make this work.

And I'm ready more than I've ever been, simply because I finally feel like I understand what I have to do to push myself and know that I can accomplish these goals if I dedicate all my being.

To poorly quote Vincent Dizenzo "look at your numbers as having limitless potential rather than as being poor".

So, leading up to day 1, I continued on my 5/3/1 template just using my numbers from week 1 to get back in the gym after my 3 week holiday.

Let's go!
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

Week 1 - Deads - reps

Deads from floor - 3 x 3/310

Deads from blocks - 3 x 3/330

Manta ray ghetto SSB squats - 185, 205, 8/225

ghetto GHR - 10/bw, 3 x 10/bw+25lbs

Back Raises - 30/bw, 20/bw

Well, the idea today was to get familiar with the training template and start out with day one. I have no doubt I messed up the dead work sets, but this was an enjoyable 1st session.

NOTE: I begin every session with dynamic and static stretching as well as using my rumble roller to get going.

The deads were sweet. The block deads were my first time doing this method, and I freakin loved it. I just piled some plates and used them as a block for the barbell. I expected to be weaker after pulling from the floor, but these were awesome and quick.

Ghetto SSB Squats - because I don't have access to a SSB bar I did some looking on line and found a way of wrapping straps on the bar to act as handles and then came across a manta ray today, tried it and found that it put the bar high up on my back. so I combined both ideas and wow - my upper back and low back were trashed as were my legs, all with crappy weight. Now some of this was the new movement, but it was also a result of being able to get lower in my squat naturally and keeping my self more up right. So hopefully the big guy approves going forward cause these totally exposed my weaknesses in my back for a good squat.

Ghetto GHR - basically I lowered a 45 degree incline machine so I could mimic a GHR movement. My hamstrings hate me, so that has to be worth something.

By the time I got to back extensions my lower body and low back hated me worse.

All in all, a good 1st day me thinks.

Some notes: My diet isn't going to be anything special. I'm not eating crap, which is a great habit I've finally held to this year. I'm not shying away from carbs at all and have added more carbs post workout.

My body weight this morning was 227.5lbs at home and then 231.5 in the evening in my shoes and gym stuff at my gym... I need to get some pics tomorrow just cause.

And that's it today... I think my body will be sore tomorrow but I'm ready for battle!
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

this is pretty cool, I'll definitely be following, curious to see how this method works in more detail and if i can pick up a few things along the way
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Week 1 - Bench Max

Thanks JLS for stopping by!

Today started off well with a 2.5 hr trail ride with my son on the trans-Canada trail... great cardio to start off, and didn't feel like it had any impact on my session, but did help loosen up my hamstrings who were still angry about dead day.

So here is today's go round:

Floor Press: 10/135, 3/135, 3/155, 3/175, 1/195, 1/215, 1/225, 1/235, 1/245, 1/255, 0/265, 15/155, 15/155

Lat Pulldowns (widegrip): workup up to final set of 12/165

Band Push downs: 50, 35, 15

DB Shrugs: 15/60, 15/70, 15/80

DB Military: 12/40, 12/50, 12/45

Started Training at 5:03pm
    Finished Training at 6:20pm

Weighed 231.5 this morning after having a good day of deserts yesterday, but weighed 227.5 this afternoon after my bike riding morning.

Well an interesting session... I had been using floor press as an accessory movement and sucked huge at it through out my 5/3/1 go around. Today I took it easy working up and focused on the pause at the bottom and then using force to press... I feel really good about how I did with the exception of my last attempt at 265 - this is 5 pounds off my bench max and I couldn't lock it out - breaking a rule already from Brandon about no missing weights. But I've learned - the 255 rep was solid and should have been the end, but ego and a poor bench took over - head shaken.

Afterwards, all the exercises were done with a squeeze and really felt them kick in... the pulldowns worked lats instead of lowback and biceps, the band pulldowns blew up my tris, the shrugs were ridiculous on my yoke and then came military

I decided to do the military press with DB's and thankfully I did cause the 40's felt heavy, the 50's barely got the reps and the 45's were a final struggle - but the DB's allowed me a good range of motion and didn't bug my lowback and hips.

That's it... afterwards I did ab work and some more stretching and called it a day.

My Journal

Week 1 - Squat Speed

Here's tonight go around:

Speed Squats - 3x3/230

Reverse Squats - 2x2/270 with monster mini bands

Squats- 5/265, 5/265, 5/265, 5/245, 4/245

Leg Press - 15/4 plates per side, 15/ 5 pps, 15/5pps, 15/5pps

Good Mornings - 3x12/95

DB Swings - 3x15/35lb DB

Well today started with another mountain bike adventure with my son exploring some hills and creek beds. Again, this didn't seem to have too much effect on my training, though I will say it as tough and I kinda jacked up my left hip and knee, but pussification has been put on hold.

Speed squats were good, but I think they were slow - which is good cause these will likely be difference makers... they were also deep for a change which I think goes to credit with the SSB bar squats earlier this week helping me grove the movement confidence is going up in my squat finally.

The Reverse bands were awesome... made me feel quick and powerful... i did a second set as I didn't feel like I did the first set justice and really sunk the second set and exploded up... I used monster mini for these instead of average bands as I have crap weight on here and don't think the average would have been beneficial, but the boss will have final say on this.

Leg press were tough, and then the good mornings were a joke - light weight that lit my low back up like fire.. and the swings were just hell.

The final part of this session involves the time to complete... the gym closed early, which I found out at 8:05pm when I arrived, so warm up and session was done by 9pm... talk about a cardio session!!!

All in all feel great right now and I'm liking what's happening so far... tomorrow is weakness day so time to eat and sleep!

My Journal

nice job so far! getting in some good work for sure!
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Great work in here! I'll be starting the Cube Training on the 17th so I'll be interested in seeing how you progress as well. Good luck.
    36 yr old novice PL

Best lifts (non competition):
    Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

Week 3 - Deads - Max Effort

Thanks bruiser for coming thru and good luck with your cycle!

Guy if there are questions, post em up... I'll answer what I can and ask for answer where necessary!!

Monday was Deadlift Max day, and here's how it went:

Dead from blocks - 10/135, 10/135, 5/225, 5/225, 2/275, 1/315, 1/365, 1/405, 1/455, 0/475

Sumo Pulls - 5/225, 5/225

DB Rows - 10/60, 10/70, 10/80

DB Shrugs - 15/70, 15/80, 15/90

Up/Down Planks - 20, 15, 15

Well I've put off posting mainly because of my max effort... Brandon expressly has stated we don't miss weights and I did, and I don't really understand why... 455 is 10 lbs less than my max dead, and while it was a slow rep I felt amazing with it and felt like I had so much more in my tank, so I took a 10lb Pr at 475, and I just couldn't push my hips through, failing about 2-3" from locking it... all excuses mean nothing more than being weak and messing up here...

Sumos - I took more than the suggested percentage here, but this weight is nothing, felt good and the reps were quick... I'll wait to hear what the boss says

DB Rows - these were awesome... I had moved away from doing these and now coming back and really focusing on the stretch and squeeze, some of my best reps with this exercise in a long time

Shrugs - same thing, squeezing and repping

The planks flat out sucked - but were hella fun to do

All in all, outside of my miss-step at the start a good session. Can't help but get better from this stuff... heading in for bench in a couple of hours and need to keep moving forward.

I'm still hovering around 229-235lbs, and I've been eating lots, but keeping it all clean until the dinner time when I'm enjoying some home baking... I will add that I tried adding chocolate milk back into the mix for good macros, but milk just doesn't like my system any more... even the greek yogurt I've also added, while easier on the guts, can't be eaten close to bed or i start getting plugged ears again which will only lead to ear aches and infections... anyway enough rambling... Onwards!

My Journal

Week 3 - bench - speed

Floor Press: 5x5 with 155lbs
    This is Wednesday go around:

Incline DB press: 15/60, 15/60, 10/60+10/40

Band press-down: green band - 30,10,10,15,10,10,5,5,5

DB Military Press Standing: 8/40, 8/45, 8/50

Band fly: 3 sets of 15*

Abs: 50 crunches

Well floor press went well... Felt fast through out and first set was as good as the last, pausing at the bottom and exploding up

Inclines were going well... By the last set I just died and couldnt get the 5 reps more so dropped an paid penance

Really tough work again... Militaries after Pushdowns were no joke... Especially using the green band this week... But work got done.

Starting to see the returns of the work too as a few people at work have commented that I look like I'm losin weight but look bigger through th chest and shoulders. Good news regardless that I'm moving in the right direction...

Squatting at midnight after work!!! Oh yeah!!!

My Journal

Week 3 - Squat - Reps

Tonight's midnights squat session:

Squat - 5 sets of 3 reps with 210

Ghetto SSB good mornings - 8/135, 8/155, 8/155

Lunges - 3x15 strides holding 40lbs DBs

Squats- 50/135

Weighted cable ab pulldowns - 50/120

What a great night of squatting... the initial set of squats with 210 were all the lowest my training partner has seen me go, and I made sure to pause at the bottom with each rep and explode up... starting to feel much more comfortable with my squats and loving it

The good mornings were done with lots of tension in the posterior chain and exploding up... murdered my glutes and low back, and upper back for that matter with my ghetto SSB set up

Lunges went well, the weight was perfect as my partner and I basically alternated sets keeping a great pace and hella pump

The final set of 50 squats was ridonkulous - I felt like passing out near the end, but did my reps, didn't rack the bar until the end and completed a day of training where I think I did good on following the program and growing...

Abs were just a nasty finish to my trembling shell of a self... a great end to the week and can't wait for next week!!!!!

But first we sleep and then attack some weakness tomorrow!

My Journal

cube method tester
    awesome work man! keep it up.

this method for me so far has challenged me more so then the conjugate method. my training partner and I are Really looking forward to the coming weeks.

Wannabebig New Member
    What types of percentages did you use. I have basically the same maxes as you. Just curios of how you figured out the weight for the day.