Thread: Cardio for hiking while weight training

Cardio for hiking while weight training

Hi. Been awhile since I posted here.

I have a cardio question, and yes, I did just read that long thread below.

Im 29, do a 4 day split routine, and normally do about 10 minutes of moderate walking on a treadmill pre-workout every time to warm up. I'm probably 12% bf and obviously still trying to pack on the lbs of lean muscle as always while hopefully gettin that bf down to ~8%.

Anyway, I'm someone that loves to backpack here in the Sierras in California, and since I haven't gone in awhile, I need to get back into shape with some aerobic training like the elliptical.

What do you all suggest for my diet/routine schedule so I can increase my cardio for high altitude hiking, without catabolizing myself down into some skinny granola looking backpacker?

Just bump up cals? Or do you think its more of a case of type/time/schedule of cardio?

...any other backpackers out there? Or sports guys that can keep their muscles ripped while increasing athletic endurance?

Since increasing your aerobic endurance is your goal and you are not doing this to cut I would suggest that you increase your calories by about 500 on cardio days and do 3 or 4 cardio sessions per week. If at all possible separate your cardio seesions from your lifting. ie: do cardio on non lifting days or split things up into am/pm sessions. You could try alternating between HIIT and moderate intensity sessions. I would do a 20 minute HIIT session one day and then one or two days later do a 30 minute moderate session without the intervals. This should be more than sufficient to increase your aerobic endurance to a level that will allow you to enjoy hiking without sacraficing your lean mass. Just make sure you increase your calories enough to handle this increased work load.

Ecoli die
    :withstupi
    I would actually add a bit more to that though in that I would do quite a bit more HIIT since it does mimic what hiking is like and I would actually be consuming carbs while doing my cardio.

When I prep for hunting season, I actually take a backpack with me to the gym loaded with weight and use one of the treadmills that randomly increases and decreases the angle that I'm walking at so I can mimic more closely what I expect I'll be doing when in the field. Of course, I do it when pretty much nobody is in the little gym at my housing complex so I don't look too stupid!
    Last edited by Tiare; 06-18-2002 at 11:03 AM.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Thx for the replies.

oh, and Tiare, I've definitely thought of using my backpack fully loaded to obviously best simulate what I'd be doing, BUT, my gym's fully crowded when I go with knuckleheads and little blond hotties , so I'd be feelin pretty dumb. I guess I should just do that sort of hiking in my neighborhood.

Speaking of consuming carbs while doing the cardio, any suggestions? I know there are like a gazillion drinks/bars out there.