Thread: Newbie: What is optimal for gain Muscle Mass/weight?

Wannabebig Member

Newbie: What is optimal for gain Muscle Mass/weight?

Hi guys,

I'm a brand newbie at weight lifting.

I've been interesting in gaining weight and muscle to my body for a while now and I have finally put forth the commitment to goto the gym, eat, record stuff in a journal, etc, etc.

Clearly, you guys know what you guys are talking about, and I have a couple of questions hopefully you guys could answer for me.

First, how do I find out what the most optimum weight is for lifting is for me? My goals are to gain muscle mass / weight, and to be decently cut. Like, is there a method to find this out?

From what I understand, to get big and strong, I will have to progressively increase the weight at regular intervals, but how do I start?

I will post some info about me, maybe it will be usefull if you want to help me out.

Weight: 145lbs (I'm such a twig )
    Height: 5'8 - 5'9
    Using Nautilus machines at the moment
    Some Training goals I have in mind right now:
    larger / stronger arms like bicep and forearms
    larger chest / some pec development - currently, I have no real noticable pecs
    larger / stronger shoulders
    development of arms
    to be decently cut

I am just starting out. I don't plan to use any suppliments or powders like creatine or anything like that in the near future. I have added more food to my diet, and generally I am eating more. I am keeping track of what I do through a journal, more precisely the rest I get, when I work out and what I do, what I eat (but doesn't keep track of calories - yet).

I have all summer to be working out and hopefully I can see some results, nothing too major like 20lbs in 2 months or anything. Really though, I don't know what to expect. But nothing as dramatic as I would like.

Anyways, if anyone would be so kind as to help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, last thing. how are the sets and reps and weight written down? i keep seeing things like 95x10x3... like, from what I will take from that is 95 is the weight, 10 is the reps, and 3 is the sets. What is the generally accepted form on those? like is it weight x reps x sets? or something else?

Thanks alot
    bj22hm
    Last edited by bj22hm; 06-20-2002 at 02:32 AM.

Banned
    There is no formula you can follow to figure out what you can lift, unless you already know some of your lifts (like, say, your one rep maximum). It shouldn't be difficult to figure out though. Figure out how many reps you are shooting for and grab a weight that you think you should be able to handle (you might want to have a spotter just in case). Perform a set and gauge the weight from there. If it was easy add weight, if it was really easy add more, if it was too tough to complete the specified number of reps then drop the weight.
    To gain muscle mass I would stay between the 6-10 rep range. As far being cut goes, that has nothing to do with training and everything to do with diet. Eat clean. Limit processed foods, sugars, and saturated fats. Eat lean sources of protein (chicken, turkey, salmon, tuna, protein powder, etc.), low glycemic carbs (unflavoured oatmeal, brown rice, yams, etc.), and healthy fats (flax oil, fish oil, almonds, natural peanut butter, etc.). You should have a post-workout shake including whey protein and some simple carbs (dextrose, maltodextrin, etc.), but if you don't want to use supplements, at least make sure you eat right after the workout.

Blue veined member !
    And one more thing eat a lot.

10 stone is terribly scrawny, I look skinny now and I`m 175lbs...thats the biggest problem people make when trying to put on size, not eating enough. I myself have done this for around three years now and wondered why I was busting my butt in the gym but staying the same weight lol.

Yeah good advice Vido, always start with a weight you`re sure you can lift and if you can grab the next one up etc...till you find a weight you can handle for at least 10 reps.

I think something like 2 x 10 - 12 with moderate weight is great to ease someone into lifting weights. I wouldnt go as low as 6 reps as yet though ( just my opinion ).
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

and train those legs!
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

How can you not be cut at 145? You can probably see your spine from the front. You need to gain a lot of mass before you start worrying about getting cut.

Re: Newbie: What is optimal for gain Muscle Mass/weight?

Originally posted by bj22hm
    Some Training goals I have in mind right now:
    larger / stronger arms like bicep and forearms
    larger chest / some pec development - currently, I have no real noticable pecs
    larger / stronger shoulders
    development of arms
    to be decently cut
    Ah yes, the newbie goals. I had the very same goals when I started. What you'll learn quickly and violently from this board is that you need to put heavy focus on your back and legs. They are the two largest groups of muscles in your body and to get big and strong like you want, you need to make your largest muscles big and strong. Everyone wants bigger shoulders, chest, and arms, but as someone once said .... "Everyone can bench and curl, but nobody fu*ks with the guy who squat a bunch of weight." Work that back and those legs, it's the quickest way to gaining weight and getting to your goal of being bigger and stronger.

I'll save the veterans some typing....

1) Squat!
    2) Eat
    3) Sleep
    4) Repeat

There ya go.
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

Wannabebig Member
    Training my legs is definitly a good idea. They're literally half of my body! I'm not exactly cut for 145lbs, it's more... how can put it, just skin and bone? lol.

Another couple questions... What does 10 stone mean? And, after I do one set out of three doing 10 reps, I have a little rest (about 90 seconds? is that too much or too little?), the next set is significantly harder but I can still hit 10... but its almost to the point of failure on my last rep. And then for the third set, I can't even get past like, 6 or seven reps - like, I hit a barrier, I guess failure. Does this mean that I should lower the weight to a little so I can complete the entire last set? Or is it better to have 2 good reps, and have the third one to failure within 6 or 7 reps?

Thanks again!
    bj22hm

1 stone = 14 pounds

10 stone = 140 pounds

Banned
    The number of reps you do doesn't matter so much as the stress you are putting on your muscle. Don't try to pump out reps just to reach a desired number. If you were aiming for 10, but fail at 8 then you completely taxed the muscle. Don't try to get out 2 more with poor form just for the sake of doing it. Once you get more experienced you will know what weight to lift and not worry so much as to how many reps you get out. Certainly don't sweat it if you fall a couple of reps short and imo 6 or 7 reps is plenty to stimulate the muscle.
    However, just like the number of reps should go more by feel than by a desired number, don't worry about exact rest times. Wait until you feel you are ready to start the next set. I see guys in the gym with a stop watch getting irritated if something doesn't allow them to begin their next set EXACTLY 60 seconds after the completion of the last one. Take your time...get some water...stretch out...you are in the gym because you want to be, not because you have to be. Don't rush things.

A stone is 14lbs. Just the way they measure weight in some parts of europe. Your reps are fine. You don't have to change the weight. 90 seconds is perfectly fine. If you want you can wait a little longer if you want to have a bit better chance of getting another rep or two on the last set but it's not critical.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer