The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Sumo Deadlifts

Hybrid View

Sumo Deadlifts

With all the back problems I've been having I'm thinking about trying sumo deadlifts out.

It seems that I'm able to lift things better this way as I tried it out at work, but I'm wondering, do they stress the lower back as much as conventional dls?

I just want to do them long enough to get my lower back strength back so I can do conventional deads and squats again, I'm really tired of doing leg press and back extensions........never get a back injury.......never
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Personally I don't believe they stress the lower back near as much as conventionals. I did some really heavy sumo's yesterday with my leg workout, and I don't feel a thing in my back today.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Well don't that just bite the big one.

Thanks chase, maybe I can just do some really high rep conventionals or something, or maybe I'll just stick with back extensions until I finish getting my lard ass in shape then I can go back to some core strength work.

BTW, finally got my fat ass down to 222.

Generaly conventionals will hit your back alot more then sumo's do. If you want to hit your lower back muscles good then try good mornings, there a excellant excercise for working your back.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

I've actually never done a good morning, I know what they are and how to do them, but how low do you go?

i go down till my bakc is parrellel to the floor, if your just starting out then you dont have to go down that low.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

cool, thanks, I'll try'em friday with some light weight, what's a good starting weight?

I just started doing sumo's. If you have shorter limbs, this would be better for you in terms of keeping your form correct during heavy lifts.

I found that out the hard way when i threw my back out a couple weeks ago.

If your back is giving u probs, maybe u should consider using the trap bar for deadlifts.
    Don't eat the yellow snow

I know this has probably been asked but if I want to do sumo dls (I've been having back problems lately) should I do them on back or leg day?

imho, do it on back day

sumo and squats on the same day?

one exercise will compromise the other for sure

I can't imagine myself doing any effectively intense deads after I go crazy on squats

MACHINE
    If you have back problems, stay away from deadlifts until you don't have the problems any more.

jeez guys come on tuttut
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

actually, I think deads can help your back problems, deads, gms, sldl's, etc. All have helped mine.

Blue veined member !
    I kind of agree, a lot of back problems are caused from weak erectors..so it makes sense to strengthen them using these excercises, obviously starting light and getting form down first.

It all depends on what the back problem is, It`s not good to do deadlifts if you have a serious back problem.

On that note I was wondering the other day...I have scoleosis of the spine ( curves to one side )..I recently started doing deadlifts, yep i`m in love with them too...but could it be harmful as more weight will be distributed to my left side??? My guess is I`m going to have to skip `em.

No problems so far though, both sides are equally as sore the day after and seem to recover at the same rate. Anyone care to comment?
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

a weak erector and an injured back are 2 different things

Blue veined member !
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Hellrazor
    [B]I kind of agree, a lot of back problems are caused from weak erectors..so it makes sense to strengthen them using these excercises, obviously starting light and getting form down first.

It all depends on what the back problem is, It`s not good to do deadlifts if you have a serious back problem.

Duhhhhh !!! Read it next time qea.
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

Blue veined member !
    The guy didnt actually say he had an injured back....just back problems. Could be anything, as I said its obvious not to do these if you have a real problem.

MACHINE

Re: Sumo Deadlifts

Originally posted by Goin_Big
    With all the back problems I've been having I'm thinking about trying sumo deadlifts out...

...never get a back injury.......never
    Sounds like it was/is a back injury. If it IS a back injury, don't deadlift. If it WAS a back injury, it was treated, and your doctor gave you the OK to start deadlifting again, go ahead and do it however you feel comfortable, but be careful.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Actually the doctor was a ******* joke like all doctors are, said he saw nothing and gave me some ******* gay ass exercises he said I should do.

I hate doctors

Blue veined member !
    I hate my doctor with a vengeance, he doesnt even know the names of the ******* muscles on the human body and if ever I have an injury or illness, he says " do some light exercise like swimming and take some painkillers "...not hmm....it seems you have `whatever` I think you should see a physio or whatever. AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH

How I`d love to take him in the gym and make him do a 300lb squat, let the bar crush him and say " Hey you`ll be ok, just do some light exercise and take painkillers". lol

Yea, well the doc looked at me kinda funny when I told him how I got hurt and told him I wanted it fixed so I could go do it again, lol.