The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Metabolic Training questions

I'm about 30 percent body fat, weighing in at 300lbs, 6ft. Over the last 6 months my clothes fit better (Bought news clothes last month), I get remarks that I look thinner, I'm definitely stronger, but my weight is still at 300lbs. I'm not doing something right or I'm completely screwing up...

My current diet is:

250 grams protein minimum
    150 grams fat minimum
    150 grams or less carbs

I'm eating 3500 calories a day and plan on dropping it to 3000 calories at the beginning of September. My diet consists of mostly chicken, fish and veggies. My carbs come from brown rice or sweet potatoes. It's a very plain diet, but tastes good. I'll admit there's the occasional bit of junk food from time to time, but not to the point I would imagine it causing me from losing weight (A large popcorn at the movie theater at the end of the week etc). I use Nitrean to make sure I get in enough protein.

I do a full body routine based around squats (5x5). I want to get lean and lose the tire around my waist. I know I have to drop calories and do it slowly, but I wondered if metabolic training would be an asset to achieving this goal and if so, how would I implement it? Do I do complexes on off days from the gym? Do I do them instead of my full body routine?

There are certain strength goals I'd like to achieve but I don't think I can until I lose weight. As mentioned by another member on the forum, doing a full chin up without assistance is one.

I'm prepared to drop my current routine for one that works better to promote fat loss. The only thing I can't do, unfortunately, is any kind of training on the weekends, so I'm stuck with Monday to Friday. Saturday Sunday I stand on my feet all day moving around (Which is a workout in itself really) with no time for myself. Would love to take a year off work just to focus on my health, physically and mentally.

Long term goal, I'd like to look ripped. Short term, I'd like to get myself on a better program and push myself harder.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Keep in mind muscle weights 1.5x more than fat (IIRC). You lose fat, get stronger, clothes fit better, but you remain at 300 lbs. That just means you've lost fat and replaced some of it with muscle. However, being 30% BF @ 300 lbs and wanting to lose weight, a strength program definitely isn't the best choice. Cardio program would be the best - focusing on cardio over strength.

Diet is most important of all. Sounds like you have it down with meats and veggies and little junk food. Keep cutting those calories to where you see slow results, that's where you want to be. If you lose too fast that's just going to end up hurting you. Cardio really blows ass but I've seen it first hand - the stuff does wonders coupled with a diet.

Sorry I can't answer much about metabolic training specifically. Things like CrossFit and their WOD's definitely get my heart pumping. I have seen metabolic training work as well but I will let others with more knowledge on it shed some light.
    Last edited by jed2009; 08-28-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    21 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 213
    Current PR's - Deadlift 319 | Full Chins 34 | 1 Mile - 7:20 | 1.5 mile - 11:55 (Tread)| 2 mile - 17:55
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    Journal...

Much appreciated.

From what information I could gather, a cardio based training program would eat away at my lean muscle, would it not? I'd drop weight but fat percentage would only be a small drop since I'd be losing fat AND muscle. I'd like to hold onto as much muscle as I can. That's why I thought metabolic training. The first site that comes up on Google has information on it but I don't know if it's good information, that's why I come here to check.

If you eat properly and maintain some strength workouts, it shouldn't be too harsh. Just from personal experience with HS sports as well as recently starting a cardio-centered program. Yes, I would lose weight and strength, but I did keep most of it and definitely lost fat over muscle. I am not an expert in this area and would hate to give you bad advice, but... What I've learned is with cardio like long jogs, etc. first you need to burn through that carb load during your run, then the fat burning kicks in.

Tricky situation with you as you have a big weight loss goal. I would personally focus on losing the weight and not worry too much about muscle/strength. If you've had the muscle before, it will come back with dedicated dieting and hard training after your weight loss goals have been reached. However if you maintain a dedicated diet and do some strength stuff WHILE cutting, it'll minimize the detrimental effects.
    21 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    Current PR's - Deadlift 319 | Full Chins 34 | 1 Mile - 7:20 | 1.5 mile - 11:55 (Tread)| 2 mile - 17:55
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    Journal...

Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    I'm about 30 percent body fat, weighing in at 300lbs, 6ft. Over the last 6 months my clothes fit better (Bought news clothes last month), I get remarks that I look thinner, I'm definitely stronger, but my weight is still at 300lbs. I'm not doing something right or I'm completely screwing up...

My current diet is:

250 grams protein minimum
    150 grams fat minimum
    150 grams or less carbs

I'm eating 3500 calories a day and plan on dropping it to 3000 calories at the beginning of September. My diet consists of mostly chicken, fish and veggies. My carbs come from brown rice or sweet potatoes. It's a very plain diet, but tastes good. I'll admit there's the occasional bit of junk food from time to time, but not to the point I would imagine it causing me from losing weight (A large popcorn at the movie theater at the end of the week etc). I use Nitrean to make sure I get in enough protein.

I do a full body routine based around squats (5x5). I want to get lean and lose the tire around my waist. I know I have to drop calories and do it slowly, but I wondered if metabolic training would be an asset to achieving this goal and if so, how would I implement it? Do I do complexes on off days from the gym? Do I do them instead of my full body routine?

There are certain strength goals I'd like to achieve but I don't think I can until I lose weight. As mentioned by another member on the forum, doing a full chin up without assistance is one.

I'm prepared to drop my current routine for one that works better to promote fat loss. The only thing I can't do, unfortunately, is any kind of training on the weekends, so I'm stuck with Monday to Friday. Saturday Sunday I stand on my feet all day moving around (Which is a workout in itself really) with no time for myself. Would love to take a year off work just to focus on my health, physically and mentally.

Long term goal, I'd like to look ripped. Short term, I'd like to get myself on a better program and push myself harder.
    A large movie theater popcorn can have upwards of 1,200-1,500 calories in it. May want to consider that next time you're at the snack stand.

I don't live in the U.S. The sizes/portions here are smaller even though they are listed as large. Still, it's good to get an idea of what I'm eating.

That said, I tried this today:

Seated rows 3 x 15 (105lbs)
    Body weight squats 3 x 15
    Bench 3 x 15 (90lbs)

I moved from one to the other (Slow at the gym, picked the right time) after 1 set. I rested for 1 minute 30 seconds and then did the same thing for 3 sets. I originally planned on resting for only 30 seconds but after round 1 I was feeling it. I figured I would start slower and progress.

I then rested for 4 minutes and planned on doing it all over again but could only get through 1 more round before almost wanting to puke. I rested another 4 minutes and did some weighted hamstring raises since I feel like my hamstrings are always lacking in power.

I sweat more in that 30 minutes than I have in any of my 45 minutes 5x5 routines. Heart pounding the whole time, afraid of puking (Gonna have to bring a bucket).

Now, I don't know if this is how it's meant to be done but I do hope someone can chime in who has experience. The reason I went with the exercises I did and in the order that I did was to keep the exercises compound movements and to allow for my upper body to slightly recover during a lower body set before hitting the upper body again.

I visited my doctor today to make sure he thought I could handle it (My heart that is) and he says I have a good heart and should be fine. He understands metabolic training and what it's suppose to do but he wasn't able to give any advice on how to do it.

So, is this something I should do say Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri? Or is that too much? Is it a person to person thing?

The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you will burn day to day - especially when they're recovering after a gym session. Keep up the metabolic training and you'll see results after a while.

Hang on in there man! You're doing great.

Try 100% pure whey protein rather than Nitrean. Its the lowest calorie protein - good for weight loss.

Uh, Dan, Nitrean is almost entirely protein- some wheys have fewer calories because their serving size is smaller.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

OP- don't waste your time with metabolic training- it'll make it harder to maintain/build muscle than pure strength training, and won't burn calories as well as steady state low intensity cardio.

Keep doing 5x5 or another strength based routine, and incorporate 3-4 days of low intensity cardio. Trust me, you'll wind up better off.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Dang...I thought I was onto something. From what I've read, metabolic training would've been more ideal for fat loss while holding onto muscle as opposed to steady state cardio. I will give it a try and see where I'm at in a month or 2. Hopefully a lower BF percentage...thanks Alex. And thanks for your input too Dan and others that may come along

Alex has spoken. Heed his call!
    21 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    Journal...

Quote Originally Posted by jed2009 View Post
    Alex has spoken. Heed his call!
    Indeed!

I personally couldn't do the metabolic training, it just felt like I was punishing myself rather than working out. I now do a simple 5x5 routine, and do boxing training once a week (trying to move up to twice a week). Now thats really good cardio lol.

Try doing some light skipping every day aswell synonymous, even 5 to 10 minutes in the morning will do a world of good.

I'll see how my weight goes over the next couple of months with some added cardio 4 days a week. Hopefully it puts a dent into it...

Wannabebig Member
    you cant build huge muscles with a calorie deficit but you wont be able to see your muscles unless you bring your bf percentage down. Reduce your calorie intake by 20 percent of what you need to maintain your weight this will limit your muscle loss
    "Be careful when quoting from internet sorces you cant always be sure they are authentic"

Abraham Lincoln
    Another cool forum www.kickassforums.com