The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member silverback8404's Avatar

Thoughts on John Broz Power-lifting system

I dont how if many of you heard about John Broz, OLY coach at las vegas (Pat mendez is one of his pupils) but a while ago he posted in BB.com an outline of powerlifting with basically the same frequency he trains OLY-weightlifters. here's the template http://pendlayforum.com/archive/index.php/t-4619.html

I would like opinions about the program, especially from westsiders

Thanks guys
    Only the strongest survive

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    No doubt it works because he produces very strong lifters but, I dont know if it is the right program if you arent being coached by him.

For any elite level lifter, I just don't see that program working at all.

It's nothing like Westside (as some on that forum felt it was)

He's not only using the same exercise but he's doing it on consecutive days. There really isn't any chance for recovery or improvement. I see the down sets put in there but that's just not going to be enough.

It'd honestly be like going through a meet several times a week and that's your program. You'd plateau quite quickly.

I know he's turned out some strong Oly lifters but so much about Oly lifting is different than powerlifting. The recovery, the technique, the training etc.

Just my 2 cents though.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member silverback8404's Avatar
    Yeah, he says you'll get used to the daily strain and although you WILL plateau, it just takes time break those plateaus instead of switching exercises. I still believe conjugate method is better but just wanted some opinions. Thanks
    Only the strongest survive

A person's central nervous system might get used to it after a long period of time but I don't think their ligiments and tendons would.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Oly lifts have a massive technical component- training every day is beneficial for that. Powerlifts- yes, also quite technical, but repeated form work isn't necessary to compete at a high level. Ridiculous to even think of training them the same way.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Dr. Subtotal
    The system has its merits to move your backsquat up, but that's about it. Mendes did produce an unofficial 800 although popping later. No world class powerlifter has tried it, but I do know of several guys who have tried it and hit a PR. Long term, is this a good system? Maybe not, but it can push up your BS fast. Smolov is a better option for that. But powerlifting is a 3 event sport and is all about the total.

Broz has yet to produce world-class powerlifters (I didn't say squatters) using that system, so take it with a grain of salt. Every coach that comes out with something different will be scrutinized (I'm sure many thought Louie was a nutjob when describing his form of conjugate training back in the day), but it's the coach's burden to produce the results.

Simply put, Alex V is correct. The powerlifts also have a much more exaggerated eccentric portion as well. You maybe able to get away doing it with just the squat, but all three will be too much. High frequency benching and squatting has worked before, but typically it's in the 70-80% regime and not to a daily max like Broz states. When snatching and C/Jing, you simply just let go of the bar and negate the eccentric component.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...