The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Member of the 1200 Club Johnny Vegas's Avatar

My ideas on training

I know there have been a lot of threads about different training theories. Theories such as DOMS, Westside, WBB Routines, etc. Now I don't wish to knock any of these programs, because some people have seen great results using them. My training idea is slightly different, though not too far off base from what I've read here and in numerous other places.

It relies on a 3-day split, and focuses heavily on 3 lifts, with a minor emphasis on a 4th, as I'll go into. The first day being push. I read a lot where people say, "Do a couple of warm-up sets and then 2-3 working sets on bench." I disagree. I believe bench is the best exercise you can do when on a "push-oriented" routine day. So why bother doing only a couple of working sets? Instead, work bench until you can't. Mix up rep ranges but do 9 sets if that's what your body feels. Don't count your sets, count your reps, and live on your feel of your intensity. Maybe start out doing a couple sets of 3 with a really heavy weight, then follow with a really light set of 12, followed by a set of 6 at what you may consider your "normal workout weight." And continue to mix it up. Add a set using a low weight, but hold it just above your chest for 5 seconds before pushing it up. Then load the bar up heavy and go to failure before dropping again. Your body will tell you when it's done with bench.

And this brings us to assistance lifts. I say, "Why bother?" If you honestly can't bench anymore, you probably won't have much left for assistance lifts. But you might get up and think you'd like to do another lift or 2 to go ahead and "finish off" the muscle group. I agree with this idea, but keep in mind how strong you are at these assisance lifts when you're "fresh." If you could start a day off doing dips with an extra 50 pounds, but now you can only do your body weight, you're done. If you can still dip with 30 extra pounds, I'd say do a set. Judge yourself and listen to your body. If you have to sacrifice a lot of weight, you're done.

The same idea stands for your pull and leg days. Use squats on your leg day until you can't stand. Forget about assistance on your leg day. Load the bar up, change up rep schemes and weights and just go until your legs fail.

Your pull day will be different because you'll have 2 lifts to use. The first being deadlifts, naturally. Same idea as benc and squats, go until you're crushed. Then switch to pullups and repeat the idea.

Now while I don't believe my theory is the greatest theory ever, or that it is in any way superior to any other theory, I believe in it enough to post it. Some of you will look in my journal and see that I don't follow my own theory. Currently I'm working towards other goals, but I assure you I'll be back to this when the time comes.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What's the goals of this training?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    "and this brings us to assistance lifts. I say, "Why bother?" If you honestly can't bench anymore, you probably won't have much left for assistance lifts. "

a lot of times all you need is the little bit of help to get up the next few reps.

Member of the 1200 Club Johnny Vegas's Avatar
    I believe it's a great routine for strength. It has helped me gain a strong core and given me a head start with the assistance lifts I currently use.

Interesting approach. I could see how it would be useful during certain phases.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Blue veined member !
    Yeah, I think it would work as part of a periodization programme or used just to break through a plateau etc.....It`s basically just instinctive training, I know lots of people who train this way.

Obviously it`s not good to train like that for an extended period though as theres no way to track your progression.
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur