The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Reason for using BCAA+

I've been doing some research (Something I'm not all that good at) and I'm trying to understand when a person might benefit from this product or if there are cases in which diet is enough or other factors make it less worthy of my money when compared to being able to get more Nitrean instead.

I'm trying to lose body fat. I'm on a 5x5 full body workout with (And this is new) 4 days a week of cardio in various forms (On a bike, rowing machine, several rounds with a heavy punching bag etc). I'm on a calorie restricted diet and try to keep my carbs under 150 grams per day, something I've found to be easier than I expected. I keep my protein intake high with Nitrean, 4 scoops over the course of a day and the rest made up of chicken/fish/beef (More chicken and fish though). Carbs mostly veggies with my highest carb food being brown rice or sweet potatoes.

There are days I workout in the morning after breakfast. Sometimes I workout after work. I seem to have more energy after work and can lift harder or play longer at this time. I would've imagined it the other way around.

So would BCAA work for me or am I getting what I need out of my diet? I've seen some articles saying that while exercising you are using up BCAA in your muscle tissues and that having a BCAA drink to sip on while working out would be good to prevent muscle loss. Then some, on here, say they take it pre-workout. Another article had something about how BCAA help with insulin, but I didn't quite understand that part.

I'm trying to learn. Hopefully someone can explain to me or point me to some good reading material on the subject. Or if I'd benefit from them in any way and in what way I would benefit most, pre-workout, post-workout (Already have a mix of Nitrean + and 1 scoop of Opticen + for my PWO shake) or during...or if I should be taking more or less on certain days.

Sorry if this is a long complicated question, I'd be happy with just links to articles and a short version answer to this question.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would use BCAA in your case for sure. You can supplement it in on some days when your food intake isnt quite high enough. But also I highly reccomend sipping on BCAA thru your workout. As far as the insulin I am sure they are talking about backloading I am sure. BCAA has Leucine in it. And that will help stop your body from going into catabolic state while fasting. If you have any questions about backloading feel free to PM me and I will help out as much as I can
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #1 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    Primal Power Systems - ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

So how does the BCAA work for me as far as sipping through the workout? I can't figure out how exactly this works.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    I keep my protein intake high with Nitrean, 4 scoops over the course of a day and the rest made up of chicken/fish/beef (More chicken and fish though).
    So would BCAA work for me or am I getting what I need out of my diet? (Already have a mix of Nitrean + and 1 scoop of Opticen + for my PWO shake) or during...or if I should be taking more or less on certain days.
    If you are truly getting enough protein from your meals as you state and taking in 4 scoops of Nitrean+ (which has 5g of Leucine per serving), you are already getting a good amount of branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) from food and supplementation. The only time I could see additional BCAAs being beneficial to you would be if you were going to train in a fasted state such, before your first meal of the day. Just my $0.02.
    Move heavy weight, eat, sleep, repeat.
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.

There is some research that points to Leucine being important in protein synthesis. Working out causes intracellular BCAAs to be depleted, leading to a reduction of Leucine which leads to the inhibition of protein synthesis. BCAAs would be used to increase tissue levels of leucine in order to release the inhibition.
    Move heavy weight, eat, sleep, repeat.
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.

I still feel that sipping the BCAA during the workout is a good idea. But You are getting Lecine through out the day. But I do it so I reccomend it.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #1 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    Primal Power Systems - ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

I've been doing some research (Something I'm not all that good at) and I'm trying to understand when a person might benefit from this product or if there are cases in which diet is enough or other factors make it less worthy of my money when compared to being able to get more Nitrean instead.

I'm trying to lose body fat. I'm on a 5x5 full body workout with (And this is new) 4 days a week of cardio in various forms (On a bike, rowing machine, several rounds with a heavy punching bag etc). I'm on a calorie restricted diet and try to keep my carbs under 150 grams per day, something I've found to be easier than I expected. I keep my protein intake high with Nitrean, 4 scoops over the course of a day and the rest made up of chicken/fish/beef (More chicken and fish though). Carbs mostly veggies with my highest carb food being brown rice or sweet potatoes.

There are days I workout in the morning after breakfast. Sometimes I workout after work. I seem to have more energy after work and can lift harder or play longer at this time. I would've imagined it the other way around.

So would BCAA work for me or am I getting what I need out of my diet? I've seen some articles saying that while exercising you are using up BCAA in your muscle tissues and that having a BCAA drink to sip on while working out would be good to prevent muscle loss. Then some, on here, say they take it pre-workout. Another article had something about how BCAA help with insulin, but I didn't quite understand that part.

I'm trying to learn. Hopefully someone can explain to me or point me to some good reading material on the subject. Or if I'd benefit from them in any way and in what way I would benefit most, pre-workout, post-workout (Already have a mix of Nitrean + and 1 scoop of Opticen + for my PWO shake) or during...or if I should be taking more or less on certain days.

Sorry if this is a long complicated question, I'd be happy with just links to articles and a short version answer to this question.
    It's not long and complicated. If you are on a below maintenance level diet then BCAA are an excellent supplement. They can stimulate protein synthesis and help to reduce catabolism much like a complete protein and they have very few cals. They can also create a feeling of energy which is important on low cal diets. You would want to take them about 45 minutes before training and then at other times in the day when you might go longer between meals (more than 4-5 hours). Depending on how you are eating you may not have lapses of that length in which case I would only recommend them pre-workout and then right before bed. I assume you will consume a complete protein post-workout, so their use would not be necessary then.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I know what the research says.
    But I noticed a HUGE difference to using BCAA's and not using them.
    The good thing about BCAA's is that with protein your body has to digest it first before you get the nutrition from it. With BCAA's it's absolbed instantly and will hit your system about the same times as the dextrose.

I take 20 grams of BCAA's before and after my workouts.
    Best lifts: 245kg deadlift, 162kg Front Squat, 145kg bench, 105kg log press, 250kg yoke carry, 115kg farmers, No. 2.5 Captains of crush

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardFudnavis View Post
    I am interested in supplementing with BCAA's. The bottle just says to take 3 capsules daily. Should I take all at once? With food or without? Pre- or post-workout?

Curious if any of these details matter. Any help is appreciated.
    I would not use capsule BCAA's because it is harder to time the digestion and the dosing is generally quite low (meaning that you would need to ingest 10+ capsules in order to equal one scoop of some powdered BCAA products.

The timing mentioned above by Chris would be a good protocol, and you may want to add roughly 30 minutes to your timing to allow the capsules to break down.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com