The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Why can't I do pullups?

Finally purchased a squat rack for our gym at work (becasue they wouldn't). So I can finally start working on my sqaut w/o having to use dumbells (50lb max we have). Anyway.. the rack has a pullup bar on it which I couldn't wait to use.. Well... I tired to do some today for the first time since I think I was in highschool and could only do like 2-3 (so lame, you can snicker ).

So what am I lacking? I thought my upper body was pretty strong b/c my max 1x bench is 300lbs.

Updated: Apparently I have the worst benching form ever and am lucky I have not hurt myself yet... I'm going to withdrawl my max bench till I can perform it properly as in the This Article Here

Thanks,
    Hawk
    Last edited by Hawk45; 05-17-2007 at 09:58 AM.
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 226

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk45 View Post
    So what am I lacking?
    Strength. And practise. Start adding jumping chinups to your routine and eventually work toward full chinups.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

When I first started out I weighted 235 and could barely get a few chinups, so I did lat cable pulldowns for a quite a while before I included do full sets of chinups.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

Wannabebig Member
    I read on here that negatives would be a good thing to do as well..

Good news is I can only get better!

Thanks everyone,
    Hawk

Your bench has little to do with your ability to do chinups. A strong chest won't help you there. It's all about lats. Just do sets of negatives every few days and keep trying to do regular chins and eventually you will get better.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

You could try cutting off your legs, or part of them.

The fact is, you're a tall guy and you're carrying more weight than a shorter person your size (in terms of muscle) would. You will always be at a disadvantage when it comes to body weight exercises.

practice. get stronger. im a huge proponent of pound for pound raw strength...(maybe becuase im only 150 myself)
    STEP UP TO THE (pullup)BAR.
    current - 155-160lbs, 7-8%bf

Goal(s):
    Bench - 2*BW
    DL - 3*BW
    Squats - 2.5*BW
    10 consecutive muscle-ups

Be a 175lb, 6%bf, cross-trained...FREAK

1) You either lie about your bench, use ****ty technique, or do spotter assisted bench.

2) Your back is weak as hell, and it is probably too weak to hold onto your huge pecs.
    Last edited by Max Thunder; 05-15-2007 at 07:30 PM.

i think one of the most important things is to do them. I neglected them forever because I could never do them and I finally realized this was not going to help me.

You can also try pullups with 1 or 2 bands around the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Thunder View Post
    1) You either lie about your bench, use ****ty technique, or do spotter assisted bench.

2) Your back is weak as hell, and it is probably too weak to hold onto your huge pecs.
    You're pretty damn rude. You have no idea how this guy trains.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

1) how does having a big bench = being able to do pullups?

the muscles you use are different

2) stop being a jackass
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Wannabebig Member

It's cool... everyone is entitled to their opinion. But thanks for the backup guys. As far as my bench.. we just got a free weight bench in our gym back in December and a ex-coworker of mine (former college wrestler) challenged me to catch up with him in bench. Previous to this I was just really going through the paces but never really pushing the limit.. maybe I was just an untapped resource. Anyway, he was lifting about 60lbs more than me.. so I focused on my bench.. and within 5 months of hard training was able to reach 300. I did do full body workouts but with the limited equipment we had available It was hard to maximize many other lifts with 50lb dumbells as our heavyest weights. A spotter was not always around when I could lift, so heavy weight on a bar was not advised or the ability to go for that last hard rep or negatives (sometimes but not all the time). I now have a lifting partner that can go the same time as me to the gym and with the squat rack I can focus on more core compound lifts with weight that will push my limits.

I have noticed that my lats aren't as strong as other parts of my body, and I'm fine with that.. it will give me some new ambition in the gym and a new goal to set. As well as deadlifts and squats. Give me another 4-5 months and I'll post back with an update.. I won't let myself down.

Thanks guys,
    Hawk

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Im strong but cant do chinups or pullups for more than a few reps because of my bf%. Do negative chinups off a chair or just do what you can (try to get an extra rep on each set each week)
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Personally, what worked for me was doing lat pulldowns until you get strong enough to do chins. I did 3 good sets of 6-8 chins today and it felt awesome! One of my new favorite exercises!
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk45 View Post
    Finally purchased a squat rack for our gym at work (becasue they wouldn't). So I can finally start working on my sqaut w/o having to use dumbells (50lb max we have). Anyway.. the rack has a pullup bar on it which I couldn't wait to use.. Well... I tired to do some today for the first time since I think I was in highschool and could only do like 2-3 (so lame, you can snicker ).

So what am I lacking? I thought my upper body was pretty strong b/c my max 1x bench is 300lbs.

Thanks,
    Hawk
    I would say it's pretty weird that you're 208lbs @ 10% bf with a 300lb bench and you can only do 2 pull ups.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

My feeling has always been that if you want to get better at pullups, then do pullups.

How much access do you have to the rack? If you can get to it a few (4-6) times/day, then do 1-2 pullups as many times per day as you can. You don't have to do it a lot - 4-6 would be plenty. Separate each set by an hour or so, and don't go to failure. Do a google search on "Grease the Groove" for more details.

You can also try turning your palms to a curl grip and do chins instead - that will make them easier that palms away grip.

Anthony's suggestion is a good one, too. Just don't get too used to the jumping chins right away - make sure that you're still focusing on strict chins. Just wouldn't want you to never develop full ROM strength b/c you only do the jumping pullups. A way to use them would be to crank out as many strict as you can, and then finish off with some jumping pullups.

Hope some of that helps.

Wiggy
    Train Hard, Rest Hard, Play Hard.
    MMA Training

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    I would say it's pretty weird that you're 208lbs @ 10% bf with a 300lb bench and you can only do 2 pull ups.
    Agreed.... that's very bizarre to say the least.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Addicted to Adrenaline LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    OP: Whats your bf%? You could be the strongest guy in the world but not be able to chin your own weight.

Wannabebig Member
    Yep.. that's what I thought.. My first week on WBB1 so I'll try again next week and see if it improves.

Thanks,
    Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by LevesqueIsKing View Post
    OP: Whats your bf%? You could be the strongest guy in the world but not be able to chin your own weight.
    Right in his sig.
    6'1, 217 lbs

I could only do one chin up when I first started. I then started practicing them on an assisted chin up machine. I can now do 3 sets of 5-6 unassisted... 1 1/2 months later.

Yea i thought he just had a high bf until I read your post. I think you "miss calculated" your BF

How long have you been training for?
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    Method,

I had the guy in our gym do my BF% with calipers.. I guess he knows what he is doing (maybe not). He took 3 measurements (chest = 3%, Abs = 24%, thigh = 6%) then looked in some book based on age and came up with 10.5% overall. This was the first time I've ever had my BG% taken so I guess it could be way off?

HahnB,
    I've been working out for past 3 years with weights but for the first 2.5 it was just with the dumbbells we have and nautilus machines (hate them). Most of that time I was just trying to keep active.. get back into shape not really grow. In the past 6 months or so I started making an effort to really improve my physique after my friend challenged me (little bastard) and started purchasing the necessary equipment my facility didn't have. I used to weigh about 230 (lots of fat) and not very strong so I've made improvements but not all over. Like I said I just started doing squats/deads/chins/dips this week now that I have the proper equipment.. so even though I have been in the 'gym' for three years.. I've really just begun to truly "work" in the gym. Was doing mostly high reps for most of that time until I started benching back in December.. now doing lower reps w/ heavy weight. I've always been athletic but just real lazy between and eating/drinking too much for the past 8 years. Now on Fitday for past year and dropped 30lbs and building muscle.. thanks to all the great info here.. and I have to thank the "Abs Diet" book for getting me started on how to eat right. Cheesy but was a good read. When I was younger I didn't have to think about what I ate b/c I had a super high metabolism. Well now that I'm older and been sedate for such a long period of time I had to learn how to properly fuel my body to maintain and grow... yada yada yada.. sorry, at work and bored so droning..

Hawk
    Last edited by Hawk45; 05-17-2007 at 09:03 AM.

The "Abs Diet" was just in Consumer Reports - I think they liked it relative to others.
    6'1, 217 lbs