Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Dips

  1. #1
    Impossible Is Nothing roadrunner22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    21

    Dips

    I'm pretty sure i've seen this asked before but I couldn't find it so, my brother just started working out with me so if he can't do a dip what can he do to help him work on doing a dip (besides getting stronger and doing other tricep exercises) is there any specific thing to do that will help to do a dip?
    18 y.o.
    Weight- 200
    Bench-225
    Deadlift-325
    Squat- 300 atf

    Updated: May 16, 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    I've never been a 16 year old girl that can only do 12 push-ups.

  2. #2
    Senior Member bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    va
    Posts
    207
    Help him do some assisted one's, you lift his feet some.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

  3. #3
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner22 View Post
    I'm pretty sure i've seen this asked before but I couldn't find it so, my brother just started working out with me so if he can't do a dip what can he do to help him work on doing a dip (besides getting stronger and doing other tricep exercises) is there any specific thing to do that will help to do a dip?
    Can he do reverse dips? As his chest/tri grow he will find them easier. A spotter can be used also in some situations.

  4. #4
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Jackson, MI
    Posts
    88
    Thats how I'm working dips, I usually do about 2, then do 12-15 negatives. Seems to be working.

  5. #5
    Impossible Is Nothing roadrunner22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    21
    what is a reverse dip? i googled it and couldn't find it
    18 y.o.
    Weight- 200
    Bench-225
    Deadlift-325
    Squat- 300 atf

    Updated: May 16, 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    I've never been a 16 year old girl that can only do 12 push-ups.

  6. #6
    Breaker of Skulls Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    40N 88W
    Posts
    11,316
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner22 View Post
    what is a reverse dip? i googled it and couldn't find it
    Could just work on overall tricep strength, as well. Do close grip bench press, bench dips, pressdowns, and/or skullcrushers to get that tricep strength up when not doing assisted dips or negatives.
    Last edited by Guido; 05-16-2007 at 08:04 AM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1


    My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

    "Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

  7. #7
    Impossible Is Nothing roadrunner22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Could just work on overall tricep strength, as well. Do close grip bench press, bench dips, pressdowns, and/or skullcrushers to get that tricep strength up when not doing assisted dips or negatives.
    whats a bench dip?
    18 y.o.
    Weight- 200
    Bench-225
    Deadlift-325
    Squat- 300 atf

    Updated: May 16, 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    I've never been a 16 year old girl that can only do 12 push-ups.

  8. #8
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner22 View Post
    whats a bench dip?
    This
    Last edited by PansyLad; 05-16-2007 at 11:09 AM.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9
    Not to sound egotistical or anything but I can't really remember a time when I couldn't do at least four dips. Even at a younger age, maybe 14/15...

    But onto the OP's question: Just have your brother, do general lifts and the strength to do dips will come. By general I mean benching, compound triceps work, and squats if he can....

    If he's young, don't focus on doing dips so much but gaining overall strength.
    At any rate, good luck with the lifts....

  10. #10
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2Gain View Post
    If he's young, don't focus on doing dips so much but gaining overall strength.
    At any rate, good luck with the lifts....
    Dips are piece of the "overall strength" puzzle.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9
    ^^ Not really.
    There a good tricept/chest exercise but not neccesary.

  12. #12
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2Gain View Post
    ^^ Not really.
    There a good tricept/chest exercise but not neccesary.

    By that logic no exercise is necessary.
    Why would anyone substitute such a valuable compound exercises with multiple isolated ones if they are capable of doing both?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Merseyside, England
    Posts
    223
    at the gym a go to there is a thing to assist you with pullups and dips its a good idea but cant explain it i dont use it myself though.
    I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

    JOURNAL LONG ROAD TO STRENGTH! CHECK IT OUT
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...90#post1999490

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9
    Benching Wide and Close Grip Along with Arnold presses will get you the same results..

    I was suggesting that if you cant do them don't shoot yourself down. Focus on other more general exercises till you can...And I do feel thats the best advice regardless of what you say sek

  15. #15
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2Gain View Post
    Benching Wide and Close Grip Along with Arnold presses will get you the same results..

    I was suggesting that if you cant do them don't shoot yourself down. Focus on other more general exercises till you can...And I do feel thats the best advice regardless of what you say sek
    You missed my point but thats fine. I think we are on the same page.

  16. #16
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by samj View Post
    at the gym a go to there is a thing to assist you with pullups and dips its a good idea but cant explain it i dont use it myself though.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Merseyside, England
    Posts
    223
    Thats the one mate
    I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

    JOURNAL LONG ROAD TO STRENGTH! CHECK IT OUT
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...90#post1999490

  18. #18
    Impossible Is Nothing roadrunner22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2Gain View Post
    Not to sound egotistical or anything but I can't really remember a time when I couldn't do at least four dips. Even at a younger age, maybe 14/15...

    But onto the OP's question: Just have your brother, do general lifts and the strength to do dips will come. By general I mean benching, compound triceps work, and squats if he can....

    If he's young, don't focus on doing dips so much but gaining overall strength.
    At any rate, good luck with the lifts....
    yeah he's 3 years older than I am, he's just a panzy we have an assited dip machine at our gym too, he is just too embarrassed to use it. His overall strength is very bad right now and I told him he should not expect to be able to do a dip, I think he's just frustrated that I'm bigger and stronger than him yet I am still his younger brother so i'm just trying to help him gain some strength so he can be respectable. I've been lifting for almost a year now and i keep telling him that he can't expect huge gains overnight and that everything takes a lot of time and dedication, i don't think he knows what he got himself into..haha but thats pretty much the story
    18 y.o.
    Weight- 200
    Bench-225
    Deadlift-325
    Squat- 300 atf

    Updated: May 16, 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    I've never been a 16 year old girl that can only do 12 push-ups.

Similar Threads

  1. Dips
    By Keith Wassung in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 02:39 PM
  2. Parallel bar dips VS v-shaped bar dips for triceps.
    By intensity in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 04:22 PM
  3. A few questions about dips.
    By fixationdarknes in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 08:28 PM
  4. WTF is wrong with me? Dips = awesome; Bench = pathetic
    By Sootah in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-27-2003, 05:44 AM
  5. Dips for chest?
    By JustinF in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-08-2002, 04:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •