The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Week 3 day 3 (Tues Sept 17)
    DE Lower Session 1, morning S Hill

Out of juice today. Hamstrings are smoked and lethargy in full effect. Still, sally forth.
    15 min mob

box squats w/ choked lights, EMOMish (had a partner and did our best)
    bands were choked around 2 dumbells (70s and 50s) again
    bar
    bar + bands x 2
    135 + bands x 2
    185 + bands x 2
    205 + bands x 2
    225 + bands x 2 x 2
    235 + bands x 2 x 2
    245 + bands x 2 x 2

Nothing felt snappy today, but surprisingly the top sets this week were no harder than previous weeks. Looked up the band tension and I think it's around 90#, so this is definitely heavy for what % speed squats should be, but I've found if my wave doesn't get hard at the end I sorta lose some squatting power.

Not super crooked today and shoulder not too bad.

Too low on time and energy to do pulling yet, so spent 15 minutes stretching. More gym at lunch and soccer tonight.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...NNKKKIINNNSSSS
    Just a lil guy trying to be fit.
    Best competition lifts:
    at 165: 630 sq, 480 bench, 501 dl

Current:
    Weight 145, using ConjugateWod training methods to develop Crossfit-applicable strength with extra work for learning movements and conditioning.

SESSION 2

10 min mob

CLEANS
    so there was this kid with 2 bars randomly doing some combo of deadlifting, powercleans and thrusters I couldn't quite figure out.. so it kinda threw off my game plan.

95: 3 position
    95 for some tall cleans
    145 x 3
    165 x 2
    185 for 6 singles, no time component

A couple great things about this. #1 I finally did bigger jumps and it felt just fine. #2, 185 is technically like 95%, so 6 easy singles is great. All of them were very easy except one I didn't really let go so rack position sucked.

Box jumps
    24" x 3
    30" x 3
    36" x 3
    36" + a plate x 3

Need to work on these

WOD
    5 rounds of:
    4 24" box jumps
    8 swiss ball pike roll outs
    12 double unders
    TIME: 7 minutes.

The first couple sets of du's sucked and then I did the last 3 unbroken!! Just a quick wod because conditioning tonight.

Rehab
    3 sets of band adduction left leg abduction right.
    Best competition lifts:

Current:
    Weight 145, using ConjugateWod training methods to develop Crossfit-applicable strength with extra work for learning movements and conditioning.

Glad the oly moves are feeling more and more comfortable. A guy that started lifting with me recently does a lot of the same stuff you do and is trying to convince me to start cleaning, might give it a shot soon. Great session man I haven't done box jumps in a while.

Kevin, I'm sure your outlook is a lot like mine.. big heavy stuff is fun and all the accessories are something you do to lift more big fun heavy stuff. I'm never like "sweet, calf raise and bicep day!" Cleans, as I get a bit better at the mobility and can approach real weights, elicit the same manly feeling that a big 3 lift does.
    Best competition lifts:

Current:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with my outlook on what I enjoy about lifting and my opinion on accessory work lol. Cleans and Oly work I respect the crap out of and feel provide huge benefits to overall and absolute strength, plus they build a powerful ass look. I plan to at least work cleans in soon, just gotta get a few numbers i've been scratching at on the big 3.

Sounds like your cleans are really coming along. I used to hate them but have come to enjoy them more now that my form isn't complete crap. I still really don't like the snatch movement though. Those box jumps look serious too. 36" + plate, nice. And congrats on the unbroken DUs, those are hard for sure.

Paul, I feel exactly the same way. Nobody at crossfit has a mid 4 deadlift and an < 200# clean haha, but it's taken me this long to just be able to hit the proper positions. Now that I'm sorta mobile enough I'm having a blast watching things get easier. Also agree about the snatch... the carryover to the big 3 lifts seems absolutely negligible compared to the amount of effort it takes to do the movement properly. I did enjoy the hang power snatch the other day because it's more brute but spending half my sessions trying to get myself to drop under a bar doesn't help me a ton with goals I care more about.

uhhhh made it to soccer the other night then did 80ish minutes on mobility yesterday.

Week 3 day 4 (Thurs Sept 19)
    ME Upper, lunch S Hill

5 min mob

Incline bench
    bar
    115 x 3
    165 x 3
    205 x 1
    230 x 1 PR
    235 x 1 10# pr.

Glad to see this going up
    Downsets:
    210 x 3
    185 x 5

It's not quite westside style, but since I'm small and weak, on some of these movements I don't get very much work just doing the singles so I try to do 90% x 3 and sometimes 80% x 5.

WOD
    12min AMRAP:
    2 bar muscle up
    4 hang power clean to overhead w/ 95#
    6 hrpu

10 rounds + 5.
    I was on track for 12 rounds (aka emom) until I tore my hand open. Tried to tape it up and got through some more but a) took awhile taping and b) had to fingertip everything there on out.

PUMP
    3 sets:
    cable row x 12
    + rolling db extensions x 12

3 sets:
    cable fly x 12
    + v pushdowns x 12

2 sets:
    YTA's 8/8/8
    + band pull aparts x 25

OOOUUutt of juice.
    Best competition lifts:

Current:

Great job on the incline PR's man, I could never last an entire soccer game.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Muscle ups...I need to get on that as a bar trick or something. Looking strong, especially with the metcon work in here. Good stuff.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Nice PR. Interesting thoughts on the downsets too. Sucks you tore your hand, how long will that take to heal up?

Thanks guys. I like the muscleups because they're fun, surprisingly relate to real life, and are a great way to get dips pullups and whatever else is involved all going at once.

Kills, the hand tears all the time. Actually every time I do bar muscle ups at the south hill, because the only place I can do them has grip on the bar (which is awful with all that swinging about). I just tape it up and keep trucking.
    Best competition lifts:

Current:

Oh so it has knurling? Bleh. I've never ripped with blood before, but then I don't have muscle ups yet...

Week 4 day 1 (Sept Sept 21)
    ME Lower, cfsv

20 min mob

GCB free squat
    bar
    155 x 3
    155 + 80 chain x 3
    205 + 80 chain x 3
    255 + 80 chain x 1
    275 + 80 chain x 1
    295 + 80 chain x 1 10# pr
    305 + 80 chain x 1 20# pr, and had some in the tank.. just outta time

GCB goodmornings
    115 x 5
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    175 x 5
    195 x 5

WOD
    400m run
    100 double unders
    100 hrpu
    100 situps with 20# medball overhead
    100 double unders
    400m run

Time: 29 minutes or so. I can't do double unders very well and the medball situps were killing my shoulders.

Extra
    3 sets:
    10 ghr +
    10 gh situps

4 sets ghetto rev hyper with 8# db

2 sets left leg adduction right leg abduction
    Best competition lifts:

Current:

Moving some real big weight on squats Ljo, congrats on the PR's that's a lot at the top. Can't say I know what a GCB is though, esplain?

Giant cambered bar amigo! Dunno how they all are, but mine is super swingy so it's pretty hard to stay in any kind of groove
    Best competition lifts:

Current:

Oh! hah, yah a gym I used to go to back in CT had what I would also consider a giant cambered bar. I used to love using it for goodmornings must have had some strange leverage with free squat + chains.

ya dude, it just swings weirdly.. kinda like when you see strong, fast lifters get the weights to bounce out the bottom.

Week 4 day 2 (Mon Sept 23)
    DE Upper, lunch s hill

Today is toughhh.. Left my gym bag so no shorts, belt, headphones, chalk.. nothing

5 min mob

Speed bench, EMOM
    Close grip:
    bar
    135 x 3
    185 x 3
    215 x 3 x 3

med grip:
    215 x 3 x 3

comp grip:
    215 x 3 x 3

Hang power snatch
    bar x 5
    85 x 5
    100 x ... 3.. grip without chalk impossible for me. giving up for this week

sohp
    100 x 5
    110 x 5
    120 x 5
    130 x 5
    135 x 3 .. outta gas

Pullups + dips
    bw: 3 + 10
    +35: 3 + 10
    +35: 3 + 10
    +35: 5 + 10

Chest/shoulders were a lil beat up so a bit less reps dipping but still everything +5 over last week.

PUMP
    4 sets:
    cable flye x 10 + cable curls x 10

4 sets:
    rope pushdown x 15 + face pull x 15

Done with the speed bench cycle, something new or same + weight next week
    Best competition lifts:

Current:

I'd lose my mind without my gym bag/gear. Solid session regardless especially that PUMP!

Bleh I hate doing anything from the hang position. Bummer you forgot all your stuff, at least you still got a workout in.

The gym bag has returned! Had a mid-day tattoo appointment so didn't get to the gym until 8 or so. At first I felt beat and thought maybe I'd deload but I slowly worked up and felt better and better. Didn't get proper recovery work in Sunday (unless you count beer, bloody mary's and football food). Plus, I might be nuts, but when the weather starts changing I need more sleep for a bit.

Week 4 day 3 (Tuesday Sept 24)
    DE Lower, night S Hill

30 min mob.

box squats w/ choked lights, EMOM
    same 2db choke setup, restart of the cycle
    bar
    bar + bands
    135 + bands x 2 x 2
    155 + bands x 2 x 2
    175 + bands x 2 x 2
    195 + bands x 2 x 2
    215 + bands x 2 x 4.

Originally plan was more like 195 x 3, 205 x 3, 215 x 6, so this is well under but this all was very fast and I wanted the first week to not be too tough

Speed pulls
    135 x 3
    205 x 3
    255 x 3
    305 x 2
    335 for 8 singles, one every 30 seconds.

Everything today was really fast. I'd say maybe the last one or two at 335 showed signs of fatigue, but definitely faster than before, which is a surprise because I'm varying pulls so much.

Front rack lunges
    bar x 5/leg
    95 x 5/leg
    115 x 5/leg
    135 x 5/leg

Kinda got to chatting with someone with jacked up assistance
    EXTRA
    3 sets:
    mikesell pull throughs x 15 + left leg adduction x 15 + right leg abduction x 15

10 minutes of band shoulder rehab and whole body static stretching.
    Best competition lifts:

Current:

On your speed pulls do you do them touch-and-go or drop from the top? I'm assuming touch-and-go. Those front lunges look killer. I find I like crossing my hands over the bar more on lunges though. I don't think that is the CrossFit-approved way to do it but it feels better.

The speed pulls for me are walk up, pull it as violently as possible, put it down and watch the clock so that I pull on the minute and at 30 seconds. I don't cross my arms ever because my rack position is not very good and I need all the practice I can get.. even with 135 by the ten lunge my fingers were slipping!

Today I did about 70 minutes of mobility.. walking, foam rolling, band distraction, dynamic and static stretching. Tomorrow one of the trainers from the gym starts training with me. This is exciting because a) we are about the same strength and b) he'll have a bunch of weird ideas (and I very much like as much variety as possible). I saw him doing weighted kneeling single leg box jumps or something today for speed work and got pumped.
    Best competition lifts:

Current:

Box squats and speed pulls same day, brutal my friend. Real solid session man, I need to do some 70 minute MOB sessions myself.

I always do a form of pulling after speed squats, but vary between oly stuff and straight DL.

Week 4 day 4 (Thursday Sept 26)
    ME Upper, lunch S Hill

10 min mob

Floor press against bands
    pinkies on rings, bands were the short minis choked against bottom of the rack

bar x 10
    bar + bands x 5
    135 + bands x 3
    185 + bands x 2
    225 + bands x 1
    245 + bands x 1 sorta.. misgrooved it and may've had help
    250 + bands x 1 smooth
    255 + bands x 1 also smooth.. good enough for today

Not sure what the bands added but they were much hard than I woulda thought

WOD
    12 min AMRAP:
    2 bar muscle ups
    4 hang power clean & jerk w/ 95#
    6 hrpu
    TOTAL: 11 rounds + 1.5 muscle ups.

Better than last time. I taped my hands before which kept them healthy but made the second muscle up funky as the tape rolled up.

Assistance
    3 sets:
    incline db press x 12
    + decline situp w/ 25 overhead

2 sets:
    YTAs 8/8/8
    + 25 band pull aparts

plus 50 band pushdowns for good measure.
    Last edited by ljosaitis; 09-26-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    Best competition lifts:

Current:

Friday I didn't get my normal rehab routine in, but did about 40 minutes of foam rolling

Week 5 day 1 (Saturday Sept 28)
    ME Lower, morning S Hill

30 min mob, everything feeling ok. Knew I had sports later so decided to keep the legs fresh and hit my back more.

Rack Pull
    This rack doesn't have very low pins, so the lowers setting is still top of my knees. Good for grip and back overload

135 x 3
    225 x 3
    315 x 3
    385 x 1
    435 x 1
    485 x 1
    525 x 1
    550 x fail.. grip gave out, which is a bummer since I've done 545 here.. but I then realized this bar was terrrribly smooth... I know my grip has improved so I'm hoping the last time was with a better bar. So, decided I'd go up with straps:
    550 x 1
    575 x 1
    595 x 1 .. this was all fine and I could keep going up but as always when I do this, left scapula got bummmmed.

Probably should've just stopped but wanted to get in some work
    Cleans (and sometimes jerk)
    95 for b warm up
    95 for tall cleans
    145 for 2 c&j
    165 for 2 c&j
    185 for 1 clean, missed the jerk. At this point my scap was not stoked and I just wasn't committing to overhead. BUT, the clean felt great so
    200 for 1 clean, no problem and a PR. Didn't get it jerked but I think it would've gone fine if my back felt better.

Assistance
    4 sets of:
    ghetto rev hyper w/ 10# x 12
    + band row x 20 .. mostly for that scap

3 sets of:
    left leg adduction x 15
    + right leg abduction x 15
    + overhead ext rotation x 15

3 sets of:
    decline pike ab thing x 10
    + curls x 10

I think I may've done more, but it was all this kinda fluff.

Ate a bit and did some myofascial stuff for the back then:

CONDITIONING
    90 minutes or so of flag football. This was supppper fun and actually made me incredibly sore, especially in hip flexors and TFL. As a side not, which is not good, I think I have mild hamstring tendonitis. Long as it doesn't worsen I'm not worried though
    Best competition lifts:

Current: