The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    ME BENCH @ club

Strict paused bench w/gbpf rules (wide: 1 finger wider than normal wide grip)

bar x 5
    60 x 5
    80 x 5
    100 x 5
    110 x 3
    120 x 3
    130 x 1
    135 x 1
    140 x 1
    145 x miss
    145 x miss
    130 x 2
    135 x 2
    140 x 2
    140 x miss.........Missed more than normal tonight and form felt off. Found out I sink the bar rather than meet it and need to change this after the meet on sunday.

Also was told that thumbless grip is illegal in ipf competition. I will just use it in training now and again i think as i think i like it.

DE Squat & Bench Press

My 2nd competition is in 3 days time so although I am not tapering for it I still adjusted today so as to not hinder performance on the day so no deadlifts and only singles on box squats just to lower the volume.

"12" Box Squat (w/belt)
    8-10 x 1 with 150 kg. very short rests (-30 sec). This felt great and very fast. Was moving so rapidly that I un-racked it too quickly and almost fell backwards

Bench Press
    8 x 3 with 90 kg. (-30 sec intervals). Used close grip, narrow grip and a max legal grip (never use this grip) and the max legal felt very good with the short range but don't want to get too excited with it. Have no idea what grip I will use Sunday, might use this one.

Accessory work

Extensions
    2 x sets 8-10 with 50 kg (thumbless/to the nose)

Incline Tate press
    27.5's x 8
    22.5's x 8

Rope push-downs
    2 x 8-10

Band pull apart (red bands)
    3 x 8-10......this has quickly gotten much easier to do.

2ND Powerlifting competition today: GBPF South Midlands Divisional

Weigh-in: 118.4 kg/261 lbs..........Weight not changed much since meet 2 months ago despite dieting but body composition definitely improved.

Squat

210 kg....Was my 3rd lift at last meet. Was shaky and slow with it. came forward a lot but got it.
    220 kg.....Much better.
    230 kg....Bar came down over my head on ascent. Common for my squat misses.

2 technical ideas to fix this in time for next comp are to work on moving hands in so elbows tucked under bar (more upright posture) so need to work on mobility for that and lower bar position. I will give both a go asap.

Bench press

140 kg.....very easy
    150 kg.....no control. Too big a jump for bench press. lopsided press
    150 kg......better but got stuck at my usual mini-max point. I hate this weight for bench. very inconsistent with it.

Went max legal grip and like it. Will use it more in training & will get stronger with it.

Deadlift

220 kg......straightforward lift
    230 kg.....locked it out easy and fast this time
    240 kg.....another weird miss. it seemed i had it all the way with everything locked out and it dropped on down command for some reason. maybe knees were not fully locked. did not feel heavy as usual with my deadlifts and seemed to move off the floor easy enough, just a very weak lockout. nose started bleeding, don't know what effect that had.

added 15 kg to total so 590 kg today. I am pissed off not to be well over 600 by now but still have 2 PB's and some would say 15 kg is a big gain in the space of 2 months.

ME SQUAT

Ended up training less than 24 hours after the meet today to continue the cycle up to bigger comps in April. Did not feel any aches or pains from yesterday so thought I might as well start the week off with squats.

"15" Box Squat.........working on lower bar position and closer grip

2 x sets with bar
    60 kg x 5
    100 x 5
    140 x 3
    160 x 2
    Belt on
    180 x 2
    200 x 1
    220 x 1...........From the very start my bicep tendon in right arm was killing me but knew if I did not at least get up to this weight I would be annoyed after. This was brought on from using a close and uncomfortable grip with low bar position.

Decided not to go heavier than this today. Not sure how much stronger I am on a higher box as my problem is at the top of the squat anyway when the bar tries to take my head off. Will use this height again down the road when fully recovered.

Stiff leg deadlifts

managed some light sets with 140 kg (3-5 reps). right hand could not hold the bar tight because of the tendon pain

10 mins of Abs training at low intensity

DE BENCH

8 x 3 @50% (75 kg) + red bands.

This was my 1st attempt at setting up bands. I think I need stronger ones though even for speed work. bicep tendon was bothering me again.

Extensions
    50 kg x 12
    55 x 8
    50 x 8
    40 x 10.............these hurt my bicep a lot

face pulls x 4
    band pull apart x 3

DE Squat and Deadlift

"9.5" Box Squats
    Done 10 x sets of 2 with 140 kg (no belt)
    Needed a lot of rest 60+ sec in between these. The depth made it hard to maintain an arch and some sets were slower than others but generally ideal speed. Went lower bar but not close as bicep tendon still bothering me.

Deficit Pull
    4-6 singles with 180 kg (no belt).....Struggled with the mix grip as pulling effects the tendon. Still very hard getting down to the bar on a deficit.

I have ordered "20" super mini bands for bench and deadlift speed work as the red bands i have are "41" and too long plus prob too weak for squats.

Accessory work

4 x 12 on Rear fly machine
    2 x Band pull aparts

ME BENCH (REPS)

Bench press (max legal)

120 kg x 7
    130 x 5
    135 x 4
    140 x 2
    120 x 6.....the majority of these reps were paused on the chest as it feels more natural to do so now, which is definitely a good thing. I am 100% sure now that going as wide as is allowed is the strongest grip for me on bench. I also feel if I work on rep pr's it will carryover well to my max

Accessory work today

Extensions to nose (thumbless grip)
    40 kg x 12
    50 x 10
    60 x 6 (dropped to 40 kg x 8)

Rope push-downs
    3 x sets of 12 (done strict)

Db curls
    Just 1 big giant set working up the rack to the 30's and back down.

Band pull apart
    4 x 12-15....used the "41" reds and "20" super minis. Obviously upper back is getting stronger as feeling easier all the time.

ME SQUATTING & DE DEADLIFTING

"15.5" Box Sq

Bar x 2 sets of 6
    60 kg x 6
    100 x 5
    140 x 5
    180 x 1
    BELT added
    200 x 1
    220 x 1
    240 x 1..........I made big 20 kg jumps to get to this weight as it has been in my head for a while since I began squatting 220 kg regularly in training. For some reason I just skipped over 230 kg as a goal and I am aiming straight for this number.
    I used a slightly bent eleiko bar that rolled a lot and was very noticeable from 180 kg on-wards and think this added to the instability of each lift. I also want to use a wider stance than the power rack allows at my gym so stance does get screwed up when squatting.

Down work @75-85% (Was highly unlikely I would get an extra 2 lifts in at 90+%. Starting to think this is not always going to be doable, at least not when I am training alone in an awful commercial type gym)

180 x 4
    190 x 3
    205 x 1

Deadlifts w/super mini bands
    10 x 1 w/140 kg

DE BENCH

Bench Press w/super mini bands
    8 x 3 @50% (75 kg using 3 narrow grip widths)

Extensions
    50 kg x 15 (11-4)
    40 x 12 (8-4)..............tendon in right arm hurting again

Band pull apart
    3 x 12-15 w/"20" band
    2 x 10-12 w/"41" band

Planks
    60 sec-20 sec
    20 sec

also done some rear delt stuff

DE Squats

"9.5" Box Squats

7 x 2 w/140 kg................Lowered the volume today. The sets I did do were done with minimal rest again this week but was much easier cardiovascularly and speed and form much better.

I am trying to be much more conscious of upper back tightness as it is easily my main technical weakness with my squat right now. How I unrack the bar is also getting more attention as it always feels so much lighter when done correctly!

I think I will use "41" bands next week on box squats and prob have to lower the weight down to 60%.

Accessory work was band pull a parts and band pushdowns

ME BENCH (Reps)

This was the 2nd week of going for max reps with different intensities but this week I changed the order to prioritize the heavier loads.

Bench Press (Max legal grip)

140 kg x 3 (little bit of assistance required for 3rd rep)
    135 x 3
    130 x 3
    120 x 7-8
    130 x 3

Because I began at a higher intensity and maxed out working down I was more fatigued and could not get as many reps as last week. Now I know why it is common to pyramid up rather than down. The volume was much lower this week but my strength at 90+% was better.

PM accessory work

3 x Db rolling extensions
    3 x Incline Tate press
    1 x Db curls (giant set)
    Band push-downs

ME SQUAT & DE DEADLIFT

"14" Box Squat............Roughly this height. Basically used a plate less for the box this week putting me slightly below hip and knee parallel.

Warm ups on "15.5" box
    Bar x 5
    60 kg x 5
    100 kg x 5
    140 x 3

Drop a plate off box
    180 x 1
    Add Belt
    200 x 1
    220 x 1.........This was much easier than 2 weeks ago and even easier than the 220 lift last week.
    240 x Miss.......Was looking and feeling good until the pause at the bottom. Just stapled. Unusual miss for me.
    200 x 1

Deadlifts w/"20" super mini bands
    10 x 1 w/150 kg

I made a technical change on pulls tonight. Braced abs as hard as possible and held my breath prior to grabbing the bar and building tension so the bar almost came off the floor, then i done my usual counter movement thing. Did not think this would be doable with the style I normally use but seemed fine.

DE BENCH

Bench Press w/super mini bands
    8 x 3@55%.......80 kg/30-45 sec intervals
    Used 3 grips inside max legal width.

Extensions
    40 kg + bands x 8,7
    40 kg x 10

Incline Tate press
    22.5 kg's x 13,10

Super mini push-downs
    3 x 20

Pull apart

70 reps total with the super mini band

DE SQUAT

"9.5" Box Squat......This should be the final week of this for dynamic effort. Might keep the very low box adding bands and lowering %.

8 x 2 w/140 kg..............Very hard today. Had to take 60-90 sec intervals and was so stiff from sitting at a computer all week doing uni work.

Planks

3 sets of max effort (could not manage more than 35 sec today but purposely made them harder)

ME BENCH (REPS)

Ended up doing a 3rd week of repetition work.
    Power ring grip= more work being done per rep.

120 x 6
    130 x 5
    135 x 3+1
    135 x 2+1
    125 x 4+1
    120 x 3
    100 x 10
    85 x 19...................performance today peaked at the 5 rep PR with this grip in terms of form and just feeling powerful, then fatigued very quickly at the higher %'s. Need to revert back to the 3-5 lifts over 90% (with focus on singles) standard ME day now to see if/how the reps have helped.

bench accessory work (pm)

wide grip pulldown
    band pull apart
    barbell row
    band push-down
    db curls
    face pulls
    hammer chest press
    cable flys

kept everything light and kind of super-setted so acting as recovery work more than anything.
    obviously felt weaker on direct lats work as have not done much recently, theory behind this is that squat, bench and deadlift and all the other stuff does not train the actual muscle group even if you do high reps so it can only get weaker/smaller over time

3 methods of strength training used in westside template
    max effort/absolute strength/CNS and all that etc.
    dynamic effort/speed work/explosive etc.
    repetition effort/hypertrophy/isolation etc.

good reminder for myself

ME SQUAT

"15.5" Box Squat (Back to my parallel box height.....As I am loosing weight it seems I am sitting lower than before when I was at my heaviest due to loosing weight around my ass. Belt is getting put in the 7th hole now with ease so waist is shrinking meaning less stable with heavy weights squatting)

2-3 sets with the Bar
    60 kg x 5
    100 x 5
    140 x 5
    Belt on
    180 x 2
    200 x 1
    220 x 1...........Getting easier to squat this now. Does not feel heavy anymore
    250/551lb x Miss......Just wanted to attempt this weight badly. Exact same miss as the 240 on lower box last Monday. Smaller waist must be a key factor in this trunk instability that has appeared recently.

"14?" Box: Paused reps

180 x 4
    190 x 2
    200 x 1
    210 x 1
    180 x 2...........These were easy to pause for about 2 seconds. Getting stronger

Abs work

Band and cable crunches

DE BENCH

Bench Press w/super minis
    8x3@56%(85 kg) using 3 grips inside the power ring.

I have for the last 2 bench days pressed with my feet pushed back past my hips and not flat on the ground. Unfortunately this is illegal in my feds but might look into getting oly shoes to help me get the same arch going.

Bar Extensions w/bands
    40 kg x 12
    bands off: 8 reps.................these have been beating up my tendons so might need to switch in a new triceps builder.

Band push-downs
    band pull- a-parts
    rear fly machine......done these 3 exercises in giant set fashion.

DE SQUAT & DEADLIFT

Low Box Squat ("12") w/"40" red bands
    9x2@60%(130 kg)........1st time using bands for squatting. Liked it.

Deadlifts w/super minis
    10x1@70%(160 kg)

3 x Planks

Done some stuff for Upper back and Abs yesterday

ME BENCH (REPS)

Decided on a 4th week of reps work just to give it more time to get an adaptation out of it. To avoid accommodation though I moved my grip in to thumb width from smooth on the bar and this is feels like a whole different lift from max legal grip.

work sets
    120 kg x 6.....missed 7th
    125 kg x 3
    130 x 3
    135 x 1....missed 2nd
    135 x 1.....missed 2nd
    120 x 4
    100 x 8
    100 x 8

A lot of missed reps. Thought I could have done better than this with these weights. Very clear now that the wider the better on bench. My shoulder health has improved now and think that is why I have got stronger out wide as before it just hurt and had to do more close grip benching.

Extensions (thumbless, to nose)
    40 kg x 15
    50 x 8-10
    60 x 3-4 + drop set

Tate press

25 kg's x 3-4 sets

Band push-downs

Close to 100 reps total...didn't count

Chin ups

20 reps in cluster set fashion super-setted with the push-downs

band pull-a-parts
    3-4 sets 10-12 reps with more tension in the band

ME SQUAT

In the past 4 weeks post-comp I have done box squats on ME day. Today I stupidly attempted to try and set a PR on the same box height I missed 250 kg from last week. This was the 3rd session out of 5 post-comp that I chose this exercise so it was unrealistic to expect to be able to get that much stronger at it in such short time.

Worked up to 220 kg x 1. The old battered equipment at my gym really frustrated me today. The bar was rolling a lot even with a very close grip (index on power ring). stopped here.

Plan B: Paused "14" Box Sq

180 x 4
    190 x 1
    190 x 1
    200 x 1
    200 x 1
    180 x 1..............Gt 4 lifts over 90%...5 when including the 220 lift. These pauses were quite lengthy too.

Super-setted chin ups, pull-a-parts & rope crunches for accessory work.

DE BENCH

Bench w/super mini bands (doubled them around 2 pairs of Db's and this increased the tension a lot.
    8x3@50%(75 kg)

Extensions
    +doubled bands: 40 kg x 9
    w/regular band set up: 40 x 9
    bands off: 40 kg x 9

70 reps of band push-downs

DE SQ & DL

"12" Box Squat w/Red bands
    9x2@65%(135 kg).................Feels like it will take longer to get used to bands on squats unlike bench and deadlift, where it felt great right away. Setting these up took a long time and were either based too far back or forward. Technique got better in last few sets when I opened my hips up more and adjusted the bands.

Deficit Pull w/super minis
    10 x 1 w/150 kg

Done some planks

Also done work for Abs, Lats & Upper back yesterday.

ME BENCH

Bench w/blue bands (hand away from power ring/PAUSED)

bar/60/80/100
    110kg x 1
    120kg x 1
    125kg x 1
    130kg x 1
    135kg x miss.......Could have gone. think may have moved it too cautiously or something.
    120 x 1
    100 x 5

6x extensions (heavy, low reps)

3x chin ups, rear fly machine + push-downs w/blue bands