The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    ME SQUAT & DE DEADLIFT

Squat....1st free squats in 5 weeks since last comp at the same venue

warm up: bar/60/60/100/140
    Belt on early.....obviously must have been feeling weak without it
    160 x 1
    180 x 1
    200 x 1
    205 x 1
    210 x typical cave over near lockout miss/think 1st time i've missed a 210 squat

Done some work with a wider grip at lower %'s and felt better. Dt seem to have the mobility for close grip despite forcing it lately.
    Also need to get back to doing proper mobility warm ups as my knees are not flaring and my ass is tucking worse than ever.

Dt know for sure why I bombed. I have box squatted a lot longer in between free squats than this and been fine. Felt crappy even un-racking though even with better bars etc and have never had great or even very good technique on any lift so a lot of the technical issues have kind of been there.
    Might be my smaller waist and lighter body weight. Im down 4 notches on my belt since last time I squatted.

Deadlifts w/red and blue bands
    12 x 1 w/140 kg........I hope this helps my lockout. Also thinking about trying my belt on higher for deadlift as I have zero problems getting the bar up past the knees.

DE Bench

Seem to be recovering just fine and able to train the lifts every 3 days so done this a day early.

Bench w/blue bands
    8 x 3@50+%(80 kg)..............This was very good today. Really like these new bands.

Extensions w/reds

40 kg x 12
    bands off: 40 x 7

Blue push-downs + Db curls: 4 x sets (80 reps on the band total)

DE SQUAT & DEADLIFT

"12" Box Sq w/red bands (choked?)........wearing belt high.
    4 x 2 w/140 kg......6 x 2 w/130 kg

I tied the bands up a bit to try and prevent them from fully de-loading at the bottom. helped a bit.

Deadlift w/red and blue bands
    11 x 1 w/150 kg.....faster than 3 days ago. Videod myself from the side and my hips rise up so fast. That must be why I can move it from the floor ok but by the time I am over the knees I am hunched over and legs are already straight.

ME BENCH

Bench Press w/Choked Super minis & Blues................................Inside power ring grip

Bar x 3
    60 x 6
    80 x 5
    100 x 3
    110 x 1
    120 x missed.........Had to rely on a random spotter, who messed up my set up and yanked the bar to the rack
    115 x 1-2?....Happened twice
    100 x 1
    110 x 1

This is what happens when you train in a commercial gym like mine. The trainees likely have never been shown how to spot anyone and are not educated enough to get a hint on what I am trying to do. It can really screw up ME BENCH days!

Done some Jm press with blues and extensions without the bands for Triceps work.

ME DEADLIFT

Think this is the first time pulling max since 6 weeks ago. Really should rotate between squat + deadlift more frequently.

Deadlift (against red + blue bands)..........Same set up as I have recently done for DE pulls & on bench press

60 x 5
    80 x 4
    100 x 3
    140 x 3
    160 x 1
    add belt (high position),chalk
    180 x 1
    200 x Miss.....did not get set up right, bar rolled away from me and belt was crushing my ribs. With the bands kicking in at my sticking point I need to really explode off the floor to stand a chance in locking it out.
    190 x 1
    200 x 1.....Got it right though lost grip after locking it out. Might be time to bring some form of grip training back.
    180 x 1

After my 4 lifts over 90% I done some sets of pulls with and without the bands.

then 4x up & down planks for Abs work

Dynamic Effort Deadlift

first I decided to skip the speed work on box squats. The band set up has not been good on squats and dt think I will get much out of it unlike the other 2 lifts.

instead done

Paused "14" Box Squats
    180 kg x 4
    190 x 1
    190 x 1
    180 x 2...........Really struggled here. Was feeling light headed and almost fainted and the bar I use was giving me all sorts of problems today. Weight loss has resulted in strength loss in squatting.

Speed pulls w/red + blue bands
    15 x 1 w/140 kg.............Tried 155 kg but moving too slow. Did not feel 100% recovered from the ME pulling 3 days ago.

Abs work

Db side bends + Decline sit ups
    4 x sets of each back to back no rest

4 Weeks out from British Championships

Paused Bench Press (inside power ring grip)

Worked up to

140kg x 1
    150 x 1
    135 x 2
    135 x 2
    135 x 2
    135 x 1
    135 x 2.........The barbells in my gym are an absolute nightmare to use. Could not keep it straight today and was rolling a significant amount. Kept doing sets at 135 kg to increase volume after today's target of 150 was reached.

half-assed triceps circuit was done after (was p'd off because of the poor equipment and found it hard to focus)

For now I have decided to change from a westside training template to more of a competition prep mesocycle with linaer progression so I can concentrate on the 3 lifts each week and try and get them to peak in time. Don't think it would be a good idea to be doing strictly box squats and press w/bands close to a meet.

Squat & Deadlift

Squats

I have set a more realistic goal for the meet in 4 weeks now that my squat strength & technique has suffered from the 8-10 kg weight loss over the past 2 months. So for 230 kg (10 kg PR) I came up with 200 x 6, 205 x 5, 210 x 3 to be set as targets between now and the competition.

200 kg x 6 singles...........Honestly not capable of doing even a consecutive triple with this right now so had to break it up into separate lifts with minimal rest intervals in order to get 6 lifts in.

All very deep but had to really grind out the last 2.

Deficit Pulls w/ red & blue bands for 10 singles with 140 kg (SPEED WORK)
    Will keep only DE work & bands in for deadlifts this mesocycle as it will be benefit more from both

Really hoping that when I lift at the powerlifting club next 3 weeks I can do better with nice equipment.

BENCH

Comp Grip Rep work

120 kg x 8 (+1 PR)
    130 kg x 5 (=PR).........got so close to 6 reps but could not lock right elbow out.
    135 kg x 3 (1 rep off =PR)

Paused (Long) reps using progressively closer grip

130 kg x 2
    120 kg x 3
    120 kg x 2

4-5 x Band push-downs & pull-parts

SQUAT 2 Weeks out

After managing 200 kg x 6 lifts on Monday today's target was 210 kg x 4

Managed 5 singles with 210 kg and my technique and strength seemed to improve with each lift like last week. This was however very taxing for me as it is basically 5 lifts at over 95% of my current known Squat 1RM. The rests were longer also but was just concerned with getting the lifts in whatever it took.

Next week I will attempt 220 kg for 3-4 total lifts.

Was supposed to deadlift today but by the time I worked up to 220 kg I was just wiped out and had to drop the bar half way.
    Even too drained to do some speed pulls so called it a day.

BENCH

Was supposed to perform multiple lifts with 145 kg today something similar to the work I have been doing on squats this mesocycle but I have destroyed my wrist wraps and unfortunately my wrists are too weak to handle heavy weight on bench without support. Will have my new pair for next bench day.

Improvised and worked up to 135 kg Comp grip.

Paused Comp grip (alternating foot position)

135 kg x 12 total lifts.....mostly in the form of doubles. This was not ideal at all so really need to up the intensity for my final 1-2 Bench sessions before the comp if I am to achieve my target.

Done a lot of pull-a-parts & push-downs with the blue and red bands for accessory work.

Bad day of SQUATTING

Was planning to dedicate 2 sessions out of 3 for the next 2 weeks to the deadlift prior to my meet but I am out of chalk and it would not have worked out so had to switch to squats today instead, 4 days after the very taxing 210 x 5.

I moved my stance in today as I am having mobility problems with the hips by getting so wide for an unequipped lifter. Definitely move out of the hole much faster this way.

bar x 5
    60 kg x 5
    100 kg x 3
    Belt on
    140 kg x 3
    180 x 1....at this point could really notice the speed was much better with closer stance
    200 x 1....Much easier than the reps at this weight 2 weeks ago
    220 x 1......After this first lift felt I was good for the target of 220 x 4 today

-30 sec rest
    220 x Bad miss.....came rolling up my back and down my head. The bent bar really got me today.

After this miss my right arm was limp from inflammation and felt slightly concussed so moved onto high bar close stance

High bar squat w/shoulder widthish stance

60 kg x 3
    100 x 3
    140 x 3....this was pretty random choice. But by this point realized it was feeling good not having to fight to maintain upper back tightness like with low bar.
    160 x 1
    180 x 1
    200 kg x 1....good starting point. Really need to do these as supplementary lift regularly!
    210 x stapled in the hole. went excessively low with it. Another painful miss. Felt even more concussed.

140 x 6
    180 x 1

BENCH & DEADLIFT

Training at a proper powerlifting facility today with Texas power bars and Eleiko plates etc.

Comp grip Paused

140 kg x 2 (PR for paused reps at this weight. Felt very easy)
    145 kg x 1 (Felt I could have repped this)
    150 kg x 3 singles.....first 2 were comfortable but spotter, bench height and bar all changed for final lift and made it way harder
    130 kg x 3 long paused reps

Deadlift

220 kg x 1
    230 kg x 3 singles.......Not exactly easy lifts but definitely felt like I have more in me before the comp.

Weight today on empty stomach was 110 kg so have not gained too much since stopping carb cycling diet but that is what I want. Dt want to be a 265 lb fat ass again

DEADLIFT, Bench reps & High bar squats......11 days out

Returned to local weightlifting club today for penultimate session before British championships so I could use the good equipment as much as possible close to a meet.

Deadlift

60kg x 3
    110 x 3
    160 x 2
    210 x 1
    Work sets w/belt
    240 kg x 1
    240 x 1
    240 x 1..............A little slower than sundays lifts but felt comfortable for lockout and grip.
    Missed a 4th attempt. Belt was killing me in every position and could not get close to the bar in order to produce a lot of speed off the floor. Lockout was actually stronger today because of this!

Bench rep work

power ring grip
    120 kg x 7-8
    125 x 5-6
    130 x 3
    comp grip
    120 x 7....not a lot of progress on reps other than I am moving the bar with much more force every rep and set with this % regardless of grip width.

High bar squats

160 x 1
    180 x 1
    180 x 1
    160 x 4
    160 x 2....Decided not to attempt 200 kg today and just get some sub-max work done

Bench press and Deadlift seem to be in form coming up to the competition but need to squat hard on saturday. Would like to open with 220 kg squat, 145 bench and 230 deadlift.

weight: 110 kg

Final Bench & squat warm ups@club

Plan today was to do heavy singles around 220-230 kg on squats as a progression from 200 x 6, 210 x 5 & 220 x 1 past 3 weeks but only warmed up to 200 kg as there was no spotters or ref for strict pre-comp judging. Will have to do this on the Monday of the championships.

Moved onto bench in the other room to try and go over possible opening attempts.

Strict Paused Comp grip (minimum of 2 sec pause)

Worked up to 140 kg x 1, 145 x 1 and 140 x 1. Last lift was 3 second hold.

Looks like I am going with 145 kg Bench opener which will be a 5 kg platform PR.

5 days out: Final Squat & Deadlift

Worked up to a comfortable and fast 210 kg x 1 on squat. Think this will be my opener now.
    Done some deadlifting with 220 kg x 2. This will be my final warm up weight at the meet in 5 days

Morning weight was 114 kg

Done my 3rd Powerlifting meet on Sunday 7 April. First national comp so was in a bigger arena with a lot of drug free lifters from all over Britain competed.

Weighed in at 113 kg so 6 kg lighter than first two comps and was very light for the 125 kg weight class.

Squat

Last warm up was at least 30 mins before my opener. This was a rookie error by me. All the warm ups were done from a high squat stand and felt awful. My right knee that was bothering me for past 3 weeks also started hurting despite applying deep heat cream about 20 times.

Planned an easy opener of 210 kg but was horrible. Almost fell forward and lost balance at the top so no lift
    Knee was really sore after this and was limping. Was not confident for the 2nd attempt. Made it though not much easier.
    220 kg on 3rd attempt and was a bit better.

Bench press

This was not too bad. Most on form lift going in to the meet but since I was having a bad day so far and could not get any leg drive with my knee, I had to go lighter. 140, 145, 150 kg all good lifts

Deadlift

Again mistimed the warm ups badly and had no energy or adrenaline at all by this time. Think it was about 4-5 hrs into the meet by now. Got 230 and 235 quite easily but missed 240 right at the top again as my left hand came undone.

Total was 605 kg so 30 kg gain from 1st meet and 15 kg progress from one in January. Was definitely strong enough for about 630 kg judging by the form of the lifts a few weeks ago but had a bad day.

Plan next is to drop weight again so I stay close to the 105 kg category and can lift at the top of that weight class at meets. I plan on training for a 700 kg total at 105. Would be more happy if I can do this as a junior

BENCH

First Bench press day of new training cycle. Should hopefully compete in a team event in July between the 4 UK nations as a 105kg lifter so that gives me about 12 weeks. Have decided to blend in training methods that have worked for me so far, including things from westside style training but also basic main lift work for reps and linear type progression.

Close Grip Bench (thumb from smooth on the bar)

Worked up to top set of 130 kg x 3-1-1-1 (6)....This method is something I done when I started strength training just before I started powerlifting last year. Think it is from the Dog Crapp bodybuilding program or something.
    I am really poor at rep work on all 3 lifts so I am starting the cycle with lower intensity and more volume to get better at this before adding weight slowly over coming weeks. This method allows me to get more volume in and is also very good for building muscle.

CG Bench w/blue bands

80 kg x 6,5,4............Will use bands for supplementary lift for a while before moving onto lockout work. Feel the bands help my bottom portion of the lift more than the top

Accessory stuff included

3 x band pushdown, chin ups + pull-a-parts
    3 x Db curls + shrugs

SQUATS

Worked up to 180 kg x 7 reps. This was a big PR for me on reps. All in one set without rest pauses. Need to be doing this with bench as well. Moved my hands out and had lower bar position. Felt ok

Paused Box Squats (Parallel)

180 x 1/200 x 1/180 x 4.....Struggled with this. My knee was worse on these than free squat and it felt very awkward to me today.

Done accessory work for lats, upper back and abs.

DEADLIFT

Worked up to 200 kg (85% of recent Meet PR) x 4,3,2 (9 total)

Used high belt position for these that I done in the meet. Also was supposed to experiment with different conventional deadlift styles but I am much more comfortable with what I have been doing.

High bar close stance squats w/knee sleeves
    Worked up to 180 kg x 1 (90%)

Accessory work was chin ups, rope crunches and rear flys

BENCH

Made big progress in space of 6 days in strength and work ethic.

Close grip bench (thumb from smooth)
    Worked up to 130 kg x 5-3 (8)

Paused Down work (Forgot my bands today)
    120 kg x 4

Accessory work for Triceps and upper back.

SQUAT

Have decided that the current training cycle will be cut down from 12 to 7 weeks in order to do a competition much sooner as I really need more meets to drive my total up faster. I have noticed already that if the cycle is too long I start going around in circles with inconsistency, peak at the wrong times and lose focus. I think 6-8 week cycles followed by a competition and a big PR total will be a good routine to have in this sport.

Worked up to 180 kg x 8 (+1 PR from 6 days ago). Used single ply knee sleeves for my troubled knee but did not seem to give me any spring out of the hole, which is a relieve.

Instead of box squats I done 2 more sets with 180 kg squat getting a triple and a single (knee came in on this one so stopped there). So a lot more work than the previous session and had no DOMS from it this time round!

Accessory work for lats, abs and upper back

DEADLIFT

Plan was to work up to 210 kg on deadlift.
    Managed 5 total lifts broken up into doubles, singles, ct remember how it went but was very tough.
    I cannot deadlift well at my regular local gym. The difference is quite substantial when I pull on these bars v a texas power bar.
    excuses include Having a hard time getting to the bar with my belt in the way, kept rolling away from me,felt very stiff etc

High bar squat
    Worked up to a top single of the day of 185 kg so just over 90% of current PR on this. Was a lot harder than 6 days ago.

Left out extra work for later in the week before I bench on Monday, which will hopefully be a lot better.

BENCH

3rd bench session in first 2 weeks so will skip it next week and only squat and pull and add more accessory work.

Close grip bench

Worked up to 135 kg x 3-2-2 (7 total lifts)

down work: 120 x 5 and 100 x 9

Close grip with blue bands

60 x 5
    80 x 4
    100 x 3
    110 x 1
    100 x 2

accessory work was rope crunches, chin ups, band pull a parts and pushdowns and upright cable rows

SQUAT

This is my 3rd squat day now after the April 7 meet. Have been rushing in sessions lately as recovery has not been a problem while training around 80-85%. Also decided to keep the top weight at 180 kg and improve on my reps.

Managed 180 kg x 9 (+2 PR).....This was by far the toughest set of anything I have done in a long time for reps. Legs were jelly 6 reps in. Weight did not feel heavy at all but after the 9th rep I could barely walk it back in.

Form has improved a lot as I am keeping my chest up with a wider hand spacing and I am consciously spreading the floor apart on every rep.

I then done a set of 4 and a single with 180 kg for a total of 14 lifts this week.

Accessory work done for Abs and upper back.